5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What do you all think this car is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
cintegra98

Default What do you all think this car is worth?

I am very seriously looking at a 92 mustang gt with 69000original miles, but that's not all I would like to list the mods the car has and get input from you all on whether this is a worthy buy. It has a dss 331 short block with trick flow alum heads and edelbrock intake, bbk equal length headers, a bbk air intake, larger oil pan underdrive pulleys, larger t-body and 75mm MAF, the car has also had 3.73 gears installed, with moser 31 spline axles and an auburn gear posi (I think?). And it has a D and D 6 speed transmission, also it has a engine management system in it as well. The gentleman has receipts for everything although I have not seen them, I drove the car with a somewhat rich(safe) tune and it is very smooth and tight. What are your thought on the worth of this car, the paint is decent but will need a paint job. I think it had a poor repaint done due to the front plastic pieces are peeling like paper. I am just curious what a car like this is worth on the mustang market. The gentleman is asking 6500 for the car and it drives real smooth.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Too many variables to come up with a price on a car like this. U said it looks like a poor repaint. Was it repainted because it was hit by a freight train or just repainted for the heck of it? With a modified car that is 20 years old it really comes down to what the car is worth to an individual buyer. If the mileage is accurate and the body and interior are in good shape and you think it's mechanically sound then I think it would be worth 6500.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

For me, when in used car realm, if I can't SEE the improvements, I don't consider them real.

Just going on the surface of clean Fox, 69k miles, 6 speed, intake, heads, pan, etc... I think his asking price is well within reason. Just my opinion...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM
cintegra98

Thanks all and mph07 you make a good point I saw some sand marks on the rear quarter like they got lazy with the final sanding phase. The frame looked good and the car tracked real straight. It seems to me the parts alone are worth the price but we all know you don't get what you put into it.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

From the list of parts and the mileage, I'd have to say it is a great deal. Those parts with install alone would be close to the asking price. Throw in a low mileage body with no body damage and you're well into a great deal. That paint job could have been a cheap Maaco deal or a DIY in a garage type thing, so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as there is no rust and the frame is straight then I'd have to say go for it. However, if you have no extensive mechanical experience or knowledge about these cars, then I advise you to stay away from any heavily modified vehicle. One simple thing could end in a blown engine or trans.

And just remember, get those receipts and definitely have the car dyno tuned by a good tuner IMMEDIATELY. I wouldn't even drive it until I know it is correctly tuned if I were you.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If it is what he says it is, he wouldn't come close to replacing it if he was to build another
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

A complete quality prepped and painted car would run at least 2500. Done right.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM
cintegra98

Thanks all looked at the car again today and the parts just keep adding up, I think my wife who is awesome has actually bought it already for my birthday so if I do get it I will post some pics up. Thanks again for the input, and I am going to have a friend at least hook his wideband up and make sure the car is running clean before I get it back to florida to dyno tune it.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 PM
cintegra98

To those of you giving me advice today was the day I got the mustang and although its raining I was able to add one to my album for now.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

PARAGRAPHS!!!! Not even gonna try to read it.

Quick Reply: What do you all think this car is worth?