Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
MacSerio

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Mustang GT Convertable
Default Help!Tranny Fluid Leaks to half capacity, all over bellhousing

1991 mustang gt manual i checked tranny fluid after hearing whine and feeling roughness in tranny and it was only half full and leaking everywhere, but not leaking on ground, just underneath car. I'm also missing two bolts that connect tranny to bellhousing, can this cause a leak? please help me out and ask me for any info to help us figure this out. THANK YOU!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
MacSerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Missing 2 of the bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing could have caused the trans to crack. Did you loose the bolts ? It wasn't a good Idea to install the trans like that considering there is only 4 bolts that hold it to the bell housing on a t5 .

90 LX Hatch, 5.0 bored .030 over/e303 cam/Ford Racing upper/lower polished cobra intake/ford racing polished 70mm throttle body/30lb injectors/ adjustable fpr/ 255 walboro pump/Ford racing aluminum x302 heads 1.7 roller rockers/bbk shorty headers with bbk catless xpipe/ 3.55 gears/tremec Z spec t5/ 5 lug conversion/Cobra front breaks/sub frame connectors/bbk upper/lower control arms
dawson1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
MacSerio

well now i see im missing three bolts, dam .
i didnt notice when i bought it and idk how long its been like this but this is where i see most of the fluid at, can fluid leak out of here? Not familiar with trannys yet.....
so before i install bolts and fill with fluid i wanted to know if this is my likely cause of leak.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

WOW its missing 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing?? I would pull it and examine it carefully for cracks. Im surprised the trans is even still in the car.

90 LX Hatch, 5.0 bored .030 over/e303 cam/Ford Racing upper/lower polished cobra intake/ford racing polished 70mm throttle body/30lb injectors/ adjustable fpr/ 255 walboro pump/Ford racing aluminum x302 heads 1.7 roller rockers/bbk shorty headers with bbk catless xpipe/ 3.55 gears/tremec Z spec t5/ 5 lug conversion/Cobra front breaks/sub frame connectors/bbk upper/lower control arms
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
MacSerio

i know i know but, my question....
can fluid leak out of here?- where the tranny meets the bellhousing
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Not from just missing bolts , It likely destroyed the input shaft seal or worse.... there is no gasket between the bell housing and tran

Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
MacSerio

right right well i see a gasket between them but obviously the connection is loose; so does the tranny fluid fill all the way to the bellhousing? i guess thats what the gaskets for, right? just dont wanna drop it if i dont have to, for different reasons....
Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

That gasket you see there is not for a sealing purpose. Fluid is only present in the gear box of the trans . There is a gasket behind the input shaft retainer and a seal around the input shaft. If you have fluid leaking out between the bell housing and gear box then there is a problem with either the input shaft seal , the input shaft retainer gasket or the trans has a crack in it. All 3 need the trans out to examine.
Replacing the 3 bolt will have no effect on fluid leaking.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Here is a pic of the front of the t5 with out the bell , Notice the input shaft retainer ring that is bolted around the input shaft . There is a gasket behind that and a seal around the shaft. Likely the trans was shifting and vibrating a lot and caused damage to the shaft seal , possibly even cracked the input shaft retainer. No fluid should be present in the bell housing , it stops behind that retainer. [IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

here is another pic of the retainer and the shaft seal that most likely is failing....

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement