5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Return to the track after 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default Return to the track after 2 years

Well it's been 2 years since the 85 hit the track, 2 summers ago it popped a head gasket on a drive home....most likely weakened by all the no2 runs. Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to sell my afr 185 heads and rpm air gap intake......I contacted ED Curtis and ordered a set of tfs tw custom 203 cc heads and had him port a victor jr single plane intake and I added 1 3/4 headers as well....bottom end is a ford strokers stock block 347 with a custom FTI cam, I freshened the bottom end while it was all apart with new bearings and rings and finally after 2 years this past Nov , got it up and running. To be honest, I tinkered with a few things , here and there, but the car since Nov has kinda sat, had a whopping 200 miles on it since the refresh. Well today we had our spring private drag day at the track , so I decided to see what she could do and if the money was well spent, I was hopping for a little more mph over my old set up.....119 vs a 121 now, but with tuning and a gear change, I think it's gonna go up......my 60's suck, when it hooks it boggs down which causes me to have to launch at a high rpm to avoid the bogg.......It needs at least a 4.10 gear, the 3.73's just don't have the giddy up out of the hole, best 60' of the day was a 1.63. On the bright side, each run et improved with the final run being the best the car has ever run N/A....keep in mind I do have NO2 on the car (100 shot) but I did not use it today, all runs were all motor, car is well into the 10's ON THE JUICE.

run #1 : 11.62 @120.2
http://s242.photobucket.com/user/mjr...670ac.mp4.html

run #2 : 11.46 @120.8
http://s242.photobucket.com/user/mjr...ze004.jpg.html

run #3 :11.39 @ 121.08
http://s242.photobucket.com/user/mjr...c7f4d.mp4.html

run 4 : 11.31 @120.4
http://s242.photobucket.com/user/mjr...ece5b.mp4.html
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Good gone Mike. I wanted to be ready for the NVMC race but it didnt happen so I moved the finish date to the end of the month not gone to happen LOL looks like 2nd week May is gone to be start up day.
Seen the car Friday night where was you at gym?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by uedlose
Good gone Mike. I wanted to be ready for the NVMC race but it didnt happen so I moved the finish date to the end of the month not gone to happen LOL looks like 2nd week May is gone to be start up day.
Seen the car Friday night where was you at gym?
yeah, I was at the gym, there was hardly a sole at the cruise in, so I left after I came out, weather must not be right yet..lol.........Man, the weather was great for racin' yesterday, you could of hot lapped it after every run as well, 3 fox bodies there, that's it, we're a dying bread... I could swear the car felt faster than the et/mph indicates, I mean it is faster by a tad than the old build but not what I had anticipated....guess it's time for a 408 stroker.......I mean I am getting close to the stock block limit and the no2 will easily push mine over the limit, problem is I can easily spin mine close to 6800 which rpm is the killer, either way it felt strong, got a few bugs to work out such as intermitent rocker slap, expecially after a long drive and I pull to a stop. Had it since I put it together, so I'm gonna pull the valve covers and check the rockers.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Mike,everyone is over in front of the Home Depot now I just go to the cone zone if no one is there I just move over to the home depot. There was 35 + cars over there. Friday night.
change out the gears and see what it does. yes the fox body is getting old. the NVMC race well NV says it all lots of money down there and that brings on the new stuff.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so everyone goes over to the home depot now??? I thought you had to pay to park there?? Dang I missed an evening then.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Congrats. Got it running strong. What suspension & tires were you running? Can't wait to run my car now that I've watched a few of the 5.0 videos. Electrical gremlins are killin me.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Is your cam an n/a or nitrous grind?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Is your cam an n/a or nitrous grind?
N/A GRIND from ED, I was designed based on the old 185 heads I had and smaller exhaust and dual plane intake...it works, with the new build ED said just leave it, the cost for a new one wouldn't yield tons more
Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Congrats. Got it running strong. What suspension & tires were you running? Can't wait to run my car now that I've watched a few of the 5.0 videos. Electrical gremlins are killin me.
Bald 275/50/15 mt et streets, I was worried I was soon to see cords they are so bald, suspension?? lots of it, upper and lower control arms, adjustable pinion snubber, lakewood drag shocks 50/50 rear 90-10 up front, tubular k-member , coil over up front, weld in subframes, I may soon go to adjustable uppers...we'll see.......first 4.10's are gonna go in to help with my 60.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Do you just throw the bottle on it when you want to, or do you tune it differently first? I ask because I may throw some spray on mine after awhile

Quick Reply: Return to the track after 2 years