5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Does this seem slow to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Before you go throwing more power at this this setup, which will only disappoint you even more, throw a set of DRs or slicks and put it on the dyno to see what it puts down as it may need a tune. These 2 things might be all you need.
throw more power at it will only disappoint him more??? look at the trap speed, look at his altitude, and he says he's not spinning......I believe him, my 85 was an AOD and had a 2000 stall and 3.73's, wouldn't even bark the tires from a dead stop when I floored it.....so add a lesser gear to the mix and he's gonna be even slower out of the hole if all he's doing is foot braking, He needs more stall, more gear and a tranny with a trans brake to smack it out of the hole, if it had gear and more stall I say he could lower et .5-.7 more but when it's low on power...ie mph indicates such, Adding more power won't disappoint a car that is low on power......don't know why you think it will.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

2.2s here thru the AOD with stock gearing.Didn't matter what RPM I left at. Felt like a Sunday drive.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 05-08-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25
Okay so you are saying it is impossible to get a 2.4 60 ft and not spin? You either A dont drag race much at all, or B are just not very smart.

I have less then 250 whp + a Density altitude of 4500 ft above sea level which lowers power even more... put through an AOD automatic transmission with a 2600 rpm stall... My power doesnt hit hard til 3500 rpms...The car weighs 3500 lbs with me in it... and my 3.27 rear end gearing..

So decently heavy, low power, bad air, low stall, and short rear gearing, all means basically 0 power/torque on launch... Get it?

The car does not spin AT ALL on the strip.. I made 17 runs and I didnt spin one bit.. There just isnt enough torque getting to the tires to break traction... I would show you a video of it, but I forgot to put the memory card in my GoPro. So now think about what you are saying...

Would some drag radials help? Yes. Why though? They would help because the sticky tires would let me hit maybe 3000 rpm on launch... That is more than I can now because with my foot on the brake and the gas at 2600 rpms stitting still I start to do a burn out... As soon as I let off the brake and go the spinning stops and the car bogs.... Get it now?
You're right, I've never been to a track. Lmao! Wow. Hey, good luck with your problem there, can't help but notice the car on the right lane running 1 second faster with less mph.

Last edited by darkmach1; 05-08-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
throw more power at it will only disappoint him more??? look at the trap speed, look at his altitude, and he says he's not spinning......I believe him, my 85 was an AOD and had a 2000 stall and 3.73's, wouldn't even bark the tires from a dead stop when I floored it.....so add a lesser gear to the mix and he's gonna be even slower out of the hole if all he's doing is foot braking, He needs more stall, more gear and a tranny with a trans brake to smack it out of the hole, if it had gear and more stall I say he could lower et .5-.7 more but when it's low on power...ie mph indicates such, Adding more power won't disappoint a car that is low on power......don't know why you think it will.

Exactly thanks...

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
2.2s here thru the AOD with stock gearing.Didn't matter what RPM I left at. Felt like a Sunday drive.
I feel you!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

You're right, I've never been to a track. Lmao! Wow. Hey, good luck with your problem there, can't help but notice the car on the right lane running 1 second faster with less mph.
You are a complete idiot. Have you ever had car that ran faster than 13s? Seriously...

Yeah that car also was a manual transmission with DRs... So he could launch higher....

I dont know why you dont get the fact that the tires wont break lose when I let off the brake at the stall speed of 2600 rpms...

If this was a manual car I could use slicks or DRs and they would help because I could launch at a higher RPM. You are the only one saying this out of about 6 people and you just are making yourself look stupid.

This isnt my first time racing... Ive raced several mustangs, Hondas, motorcycles, and even a snowmobile one time.

I only started this thread to see what others thought, to confirm my own beliefs since I do not have as much experience with the fox platform.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

You are a complete idiot. Have you ever had car that ran faster than 13s? Seriously...

Yeah that car also was a manual transmission with DRs... So he could launch higher....

I dont know why you dont get the fact that the tires wont break lose when I let off the brake at the stall speed of 2600 rpms...

If this was a manual car I could use slicks or DRs and they would help because I could launch at a higher RPM. You are the only one saying this out of about 6 people and you just are making yourself look stupid.

This isnt my first time racing... Ive raced several mustangs, Hondas, motorcycles, and even a snowmobile one time.

I only started this thread to see what others thought, to confirm my own beliefs since I do not have as much experience with the fox platform.
You're so mature, any other insults? No I've never broken out of the 16s, the cars I'm my sig are made up and the pic stolen. Again good luck addressing your issues.

Last edited by darkmach1; 05-08-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

You're so mature, any other insults? Again good luck addressing your issues.
No issues to address. Car runs great. Needs a stall, gears, DRs, and / or more power to go faster.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

No issues to address. Car runs great. Needs a stall, gears, DRs, and / or more power to go faster.
Your car runs a corrected 14.5 at 98mph with most boltons a mild can, built auto and mild stall, yup runs great!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Yup sure does... With any experience at all you would know that a stall and gearing affect things FAR more than almost anything else...

Either way Im done responding to you.

If anyone else has comments id be glad to hear them!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Forgot you have suspension as well. But I didn't come here to insult you, I gave you my advise on how you could maximize your setup before adding more power. But maybe that's just my philosophy, I see no use in adding power if I'm not running as fast as I possibly can on the current setup.

Quick Reply: Does this seem slow to you?