5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:47 PM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

is the rack new or rebuilt, i've seen defective racks before.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM
DennisC6

I just bought the rack from advance auto parts
Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 AM
mysticstriper

I'm having a similar problem, just changed rack and pinion and tie rod ends. While it was still jacked up unfilled it with power steering fluid turning the wheel back and forth until it quit all the groaning. So I finished up everything else, put it on the ground and now it feels like I have no pressure from the pump, harder than manual steering. The left over fluid was gray, I really didn't think it would hurt anything being so little was in the pump. Is it possible it has air in the system or the old fluid messed up the new fluid? I am at a loss and have a 12 hour drive today. I won't have time to work on it for a month. If anyone has a suggestion maybe I can get a repair shop in Virginia to straighten it out as I will be welding 12 hours a day for the next month on a job up there. Thanks
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'll assume you meant "filled" instead of "unfilled" lol.

Any air should have worked it's way out by the 3rd lock to lock steering wheel turn. And fluid differences wouldn't do this either as long as you used the correct fluid, ie: not 90w gear oil.

I'd guess you might have a defective rack, or, and I'm just guessing here as it's been many years since I've had my lines off. Isn't there a ball check valve that only allows fluid flow in one direction ? Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I'd Google that to see if there's one in there. I can't remember for sure.

Now this is all depending on you having the fliud level correct and belt on........ you just never know lol.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 PM
mysticstriper

Yeah, my bad, filled with power steering fluid not ATF. I got the rack at O'Reilly's , a cheapo rebuilt unit as I'm not on a position to buy good stuff right now. Funny thing is the next day after sitting overnight it worked perfectly for about 15 miles. As far as the lines , neither had a check valve of any kind. Is it possible the pump is just not strong enough for the rebuilt rack? Not much I can do about it for a few weeks , I'm on a job out of town working 12s welding all day. I appreciate the help! Btw, I also have a 306 tricked out pretty good , I just need to finish the rewire on that other Mustang. I thought about putting it in this 90 model but right now its all original in very good condition. I'm thinking its more valuable as it is. 25th anniversary with the window sticker from the day it was bought, body great, interior, everything. Would you thinkbit best to keep stock?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I would definitely keep it as close to stock as possible. A clean low mileage stock Foxbody ALWAYS seems to bring more money than modded ones. That's if that's what your keeping the car for. If not, do what you want as I don't think Foxbodys will ever reach collector car status because there were just to many made.

Post up some pics of her when you get back home. Always like to see nice, clean, stockers yet.

Now get back to work......lol
Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 AM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DennisC6
I just bought the rack from advance auto parts
Their supplier is Cardone in PA. look up the customer service number or you may have it in your warranty paper. Call them and talk to tech. They will guide you thru.