Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 95 GT
Default Pulley Set

Do they make a standard pulley set for the SN cars? I've spent all this week and all I find are underdrives, which from what I've read these cars don't like very much. I'd rather not use the stock pulleys since the 302 in the car is a bit noisy and squeaky. Pretty sure the bearings in the pulleys are shot
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Soon to come: 393 stroker
351w bored .030, Probe Industries forged internals, Trickflow 205's, FTI custom cam, Trickflow R 90mm intake, Accufab 90mm TB, FRPP 42lb injectors, 1 3/4" custom Accufab LT's, 3" exhaust, MS2
Duncan_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

you should be able to order a lot of the stock pullies either through Napa or your local dealer or look in the classifieds on forums and post an ad, Gauranteed there are plenty out there with stock pullies laying around

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Ive tried looking at Autozone and Oreilly, all they have are the BBK and Spectre (?) underdrives. Have you used underdrives?

351w bored .030, Probe Industries forged internals, Trickflow 205's, FTI custom cam, Trickflow R 90mm intake, Accufab 90mm TB, FRPP 42lb injectors, 1 3/4" custom Accufab LT's, 3" exhaust, MS2
Old 06-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_GT View Post
Ive tried looking at Autozone and Oreilly, all they have are the BBK and Spectre (?) underdrives. Have you used underdrives?
somewhat, but my rides pulley systems are more so configured with stuff to accomadate my set ups, for example, I run a cobra overdrive on my s/c vert and a windstar pulley on the power steering, had to do this so belt wouldn't rub as I run a p/s relocate, on my 85 I run a underdrive on the crank and that's it as I run a meziere elec water pump with idler built in and alt is a powermaster pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 93 Mustang LX, 13 Boss 302

Just so you know the pulleys do not have bearings in them. They are steel or aluminum. Bearings are in the components. Under drive pullies dont hurt anything except the alternator. Just run the stock pulley on it and youll be fine.
Boss_Hotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

^^^Oh, well that makes sense. Its squeaky nonetheless. I want the pulleys to at least match colors lol, I wonder if its possible to powdercoat them without the paint rubbing off

Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 89 GT 5.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_GT View Post
I wonder if its possible to powdercoat them without the paint rubbing off
You'll probably lose some color where you have constant contact with the belt, but you can get a diy home kit and do it in the oven. My buddy did it with a lot of his bike parts 2+ years ago and they still look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod View Post
Under drive pullies dont hurt anything except the alternator. Just run the stock pulley on it and youll be fine.
If there's an underdrive on the crank and a stock pulley on the alternator will that affect belt length?

351W .30 over, 3.73 Posi, Eddy Air Gap intake manifold, BBK shortys, fat cam, antique lifters, greedy carb, junkyard heads, black iron pipe roll cage, skeleton interior, angle iron dashboard
89fiveeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

If you run the water pump and crank pulley it will not affect it enough to need a different belt length. The tensioner can take up any slack.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I'd have a crank pulley, alt, water pump, and a/c

Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Never seen an a/c under drive. Those have clutches on the front. You sure it the a/c?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement