Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
90foxbdy

Vehicle: 1990 ford mustang convertible
Default i need your opinion for a NA 306 build

hey all, i have a 306 with the stuff in my signature below bolted on. im not trying to make my stang a full blown race car; i need to be able to drive the car in the summer basically everyday. so i was thinking a set of underdrive pulleys, gt40p (5.0 explorer) upper and lower intake and maybe some kind of chip. would it be worth it to invest in a bigger maf or throttle body?

really i would like some other ideas and some input of what i just said. i just got my baby a month ago and dont know what the best ideas are and stuff. what about a fuel preasure reg? bigger or smaller injectors? what about heads, are they worth it? since i have a cam i think i will get great gains from intake and stuff. any ideas or feedback would be greatly appriated. thansk.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

outside: carbon fiber cowl hood (functional vent) , steeda front bumper, blacked out head/tail lights, fresh paint, tints

Engine/Rear: 306, stock block/heads/intake, E303 cam, BBK fender mount intake inlet, H-pipe/flows, MSD coil, wires, 3.73 gears, 17" w/9" tires

shes not the best in the world, but she'll do for me.
90foxbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 95 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90foxbdy View Post
so i was thinking a set of underdrive pulleys, gt40p (5.0 explorer) upper and lower intake and maybe some kind of chip.
These are usually the basic bolts ons for a budget build 5.0. They will net a noticeable gain in power

Quote:
would it be worth it to invest in a bigger maf or throttle body?
MAF, in my opinion, is one of the last things to upgrade. Although, if you get bigger injectors, you'll have to tune the MAF to match the injector size. I would upgrade the throttle body to a 65 or 70mm, but again that's going to depend on which intake you have. Speaking of which, your signature shows you have a stock intake and a BBK intake. Do you have different upper/lower manifolds?

Quote:
bigger or smaller injectors?
The stock injectors can support up to 300hp, I believe. So, pending your goals, you can keep them. Although upgrading to 24lb isn't a bad idea as it gives you room to grow.

Quote:
what about heads, are they worth it?
You have a lot of homework to do.

Soon to come: 393 stroker
351w bored .030, Probe Industries forged internals, Trickflow 205's, FTI custom cam, Trickflow R 90mm intake, Accufab 90mm TB, FRPP 42lb injectors, 1 3/4" custom Accufab LT's, 3" exhaust, MS2

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 06-23-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Duncan_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
tinman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 84 Mustang, 59 Ranchero

A set of aftermarket heads will net you some serious power if used right.
I would use one of the 'smaller' heads from Edelbrock or AFR, by 'smaller' I'm meaning the measured size, in CC, of the intake ports.
Something around 175CC would do for your 306.
I'll say that the 'E' cam while better than stock is very obsolete, many newer grinds will make more power and they'll work good with those heads too.....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
90foxbdy

Vehicle: 1990 ford mustang convertible

Thanks guys,
when it comes to pullys is there a set that anyone recommends? i have an A/C delete kit and would like my car to run semi-normal.

i have a stock upper and lower intake with a BBK fender mount inlet. does anyone have a used/new aftermarket upper and lower looking to get rid of ? thanks!

outside: carbon fiber cowl hood (functional vent) , steeda front bumper, blacked out head/tail lights, fresh paint, tints

Engine/Rear: 306, stock block/heads/intake, E303 cam, BBK fender mount intake inlet, H-pipe/flows, MSD coil, wires, 3.73 gears, 17" w/9" tires

shes not the best in the world, but she'll do for me.
90foxbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 95 GT

Check corral.net in the classifieds section. You can usually find some really good deals on intakes

Soon to come: 393 stroker
351w bored .030, Probe Industries forged internals, Trickflow 205's, FTI custom cam, Trickflow R 90mm intake, Accufab 90mm TB, FRPP 42lb injectors, 1 3/4" custom Accufab LT's, 3" exhaust, MS2
Duncan_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 89 Mustang

Heads would make the biggest difference. Intake will help. I'd do the MA before I did the TB, it's more restrictive. Your factory injectors will work fine for what you're talking, and you don't need a chip or a fuel regulator.
reldla1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
306, 5.0, intake, mustang, upper