5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1991 mustang notchback upgrades ?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM
notchback26

Default 1991 mustang notchback upgrades ?

Well for starters id like to know how I can get the most power out of my 302 as I do not have the money to rebuild or buy a new engine.. what gears would be the best for me? Should I use a gt-40 intake? With what heads? What kind of pulleys? Can I thrown in a new cam as well?bthanks for the help for future comments.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If you cant afford to rebuild the engine you cant afford to get the " most power " , but there are some things you can do to get some more power. I wont go into the high end stuff because your talking some pretty big bucks, but yes gears are the best step and on a budget will give you the most bang for your buck. 3.55 3.73 4.10 and the list is much longer than that but the most common are 3.73 for manual trans and 4.10 for the auto.
Gt40 stuff is great if you can find used from an exploder, and a good B cam . People that have done the triple head, intake, cam have reported a 30 to 60 hp gain depending on exhaust but I would tend to believe closer to the 30 or 40 hp range. Get rid of the stock headers as they are far to restrictive , any thing you can do to the exhaust to open it up will compliment that combo. Remove cats if you can long tubes with O/R H or X pipe 2 1/2 inch all the way into some good flowmasters , but I see your in cali so you will have to keep in mind your smog tests out there. Removing cats is probly not an option for you .
I promise you if you spend the money for some ford racing 3.73 or 4.10 gears that engine will come to life . I wouldn't bother with pulleys because you really only free up a few hp and they can cause some cooling/charging issues at idle . Some pple swear by under drive but Im not one of them. I do have a set and idle charging is ridiculously low for me.
Gears are best left to a reputable shop that knows the ins and outs of the rear differential , but look to spend somewhere around $400 bucks for gears and professional install . That of course is an estimate because shop labor varies location to location. If you are confident you can do the install then your looking at about $200 for the gears and install kit. I am thinking in 91 the rear axle was 8.8 with stock 2.73 gears , and there were optios for 3.08 in a manual car or 3.27 in the autos.

Before running out and ordering a set of gears and deciding to install them your self read this pdf tech sheet from ford racing on the install procedure. Read it until you completely understand every step of this as a botched gear install will not go well.
This tech sheet is usually enough to keep inexperienced mechanics from even attempting this on there own.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...htM-4209-8.pdf
Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by notchback26
Well for starters id like to know how I can get the most power out of my 302 as I do not have the money to rebuild or buy a new engine.. what gears would be the best for me? Should I use a gt-40 intake? With what heads? What kind of pulleys? Can I thrown in a new cam as well?bthanks for the help for future comments.
These two articles are food for thought. (stock 302)

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea..._lx/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ded/index.html
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM
notchback26

Originally Posted by dawson1112
If you cant afford to rebuild the engine you cant afford to get the " most power " , but there are some things you can do to get some more power. I wont go into the high end stuff because your talking some pretty big bucks, but yes gears are the best step and on a budget will give you the most bang for your buck. 3.55 3.73 4.10 and the list is much longer than that but the most common are 3.73 for manual trans and 4.10 for the auto.
Gt40 stuff is great if you can find used from an exploder, and a good B cam . People that have done the triple head, intake, cam have reported a 30 to 60 hp gain depending on exhaust but I would tend to believe closer to the 30 or 40 hp range. Get rid of the stock headers as they are far to restrictive , any thing you can do to the exhaust to open it up will compliment that combo. Remove cats if you can long tubes with O/R H or X pipe 2 1/2 inch all the way into some good flowmasters , but I see your in cali so you will have to keep in mind your smog tests out there. Removing cats is probly not an option for you .
I promise you if you spend the money for some ford racing 3.73 or 4.10 gears that engine will come to life . I wouldn't bother with pulleys because you really only free up a few hp and they can cause some cooling/charging issues at idle . Some pple swear by under drive but Im not one of them. I do have a set and idle charging is ridiculously low for me.
Gears are best left to a reputable shop that knows the ins and outs of the rear differential , but look to spend somewhere around $400 bucks for gears and professional install . That of course is an estimate because shop labor varies location to location. If you are confident you can do the install then your looking at about $200 for the gears and install kit. I am thinking in 91 the rear axle was 8.8 with stock 2.73 gears , and there were optios for 3.08 in a manual car or 3.27 in the autos.

Before running out and ordering a set of gears and deciding to install them your self read this pdf tech sheet from ford racing on the install procedure. Read it until you completely understand every step of this as a botched gear install will not go well.
This tech sheet is usually enough to keep inexperienced mechanics from even attempting this on there own.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...htM-4209-8.pdf
So I have a five speed with magna flows forgot to include that. . But if I get the 3.73 gears do I have to replace the axels as well? And its the 8.8 gears also right
Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

no you don't replace the axels. just the ring and pinion. And I would suggest that when having the gears installed you have the shop overhaul the clutch packs for the trac-lok.
Im not for sure on the 91 rear diff but I am pretty sure that it came with 8.8. You will have to crawl under the car and find the tag on the rear diff , or on the door tag look at the ax code. If you have trouble deciphering the tag post it up someone will know what it is.
Magnaflow and flowmaster exhaust are both a very good choice for these cars , and as of late I hear Magnaflow are really stepping up there game in performance exhaust systems.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I don't know why, but every time you post those links Sharad, I have to read them again.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
I don't know why, but every time you post those links Sharad, I have to read them again.
Hahaha! Is that a good thing or a bad thing?