Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
midlifecrisis1

Vehicle: 1988 ford mustang gt
Default is it worth it?

I have an 88 GT 5 speed 95% stock. Only mods are smog delete and airbox removed. Was wondering if I put headers, gt 40 heads and a gt 40 upper and lower intake how much of a difference it would make in power? I have the headers (BBK) but need to find the heads and have located the intakes on CL, I am in no hurry to do these as it needs other little issues to be addressed first. I want to do some research for a while and make sure that I make the right monetary decisions. Thanks for the help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
midlifecrisis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 mustang GT
ItsUrFuneral

Heads are worth the extra expense. You wont gain alot with factory componets like GT40 heads and Cobra intake.
ENGINE363 fully forged dart engine on the way with more spray!TRANNY C4 with trans brake, 3800 stall, 9in. raceconverter, hurst shifter REAR Moser 35 spline kit with spool, FRPP 3.73 gearsSUSPENION UPR pro street Uppers & lower control arms, Strange 10 way dampers, coilovers up front, BBK sub frame connectors, UPR Tube K-member & A-arms10.57@123.9 (OLD 5.0)
2011 CamaroSS 12.34@110.92
bluebeastsrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
midlifecrisis1

Vehicle: 1988 ford mustang gt

If I go with heads isn't it a good idea to do the other components to get the air flow they will need?
midlifecrisis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
tinman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 84 Mustang, 59 Ranchero

If those BBK headers aren't a long tube type I wouldn't bother with them.....
Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 mustang GT
ItsUrFuneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1 View Post
If I go with heads isn't it a good idea to do the other components to get the air flow they will need?
Yea do it once and do it right. Trick Flow sells an entire top end kit for about $2700. The kit is rated for 350HP. Pretty big bump over your 225HP. Use long tube headers like stated above. Heres a link to the trick flow kit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...FctlOgodFFoAeg
ENGINE363 fully forged dart engine on the way with more spray!TRANNY C4 with trans brake, 3800 stall, 9in. raceconverter, hurst shifter REAR Moser 35 spline kit with spool, FRPP 3.73 gearsSUSPENION UPR pro street Uppers & lower control arms, Strange 10 way dampers, coilovers up front, BBK sub frame connectors, UPR Tube K-member & A-arms10.57@123.9 (OLD 5.0)
2011 CamaroSS 12.34@110.92
bluebeastsrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
88 orangepeel notch
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988 notchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
If those BBK headers aren't a long tube type I wouldn't bother with them.....
Not to throw a wrench in the mix here, but I'm running BBK equal length shortys on my car and they seem to allow decent power. Yeah I think LT's will always make a couple more ponys, but if you already bought them, and with your intended mods, might give them a try. I don't know your budget, but I'm always stuck taking the cheap route.

As tin and blue stated, a kit will always make more power than piecing mods together willie nillie. When everything works together and mods complement each other, you'll be much happier with the money you spent.

EDIT: After reading your post again, putting those heads, intake, headers on might gain you 20-25 hp. What gears are you running? That's where I'd start first. Best bang for the buck.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 09-14-2013 at 01:21 PM.
88 orangepeel notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement