5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

bolt ons done... so now what

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM
brennan1994

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Oh there's alot of weak links when you start making real power lol, trannys, axles, torque boxes, etc etc. It doesn't end. That's why I'd try to find a reasonable et or powerlevel your happy with and just stick with that. My car is about as fast as it's gonna get, I just drive it now.

Well maybe a 100 shot just to go down in a blaze of glory.
Yeah I'm learning real quick this is an expensive game. What's your car at for mods and power?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

It's just a basic 306 rebuild with all the usual bolt ons for intake and exhaust, letter cam, ported E7's, I swapped to a T5, 3:55's out back. Car made 300/316 at the wheels after tranny swap. And ran a best of 12.4 @ 108, that run I actually recorded and threw it on Youtube. Search " 88 mustang 1/4 mile pass", and it'll come up. Squeaky windows and all. That was at GLD last year, this year I only went once and lost my clutches in the rearend, that's what I'll be doing over the winter.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 AM
brennan1994

It's just a basic 306 rebuild with all the usual bolt ons for intake and exhaust, letter cam, ported E7's, I swapped to a T5, 3:55's out back. Car made 300/316 at the wheels after tranny swap. And ran a best of 12.4 @ 108, that run I actually recorded and threw it on Youtube. Search " 88 mustang 1/4 mile pass", and it'll come up. Squeaky windows and all. That was at GLD last year, this year I only went once and lost my clutches in the rearend, that's what I'll be doing over the winter.
Damn that was a pretty quick run there. I'm starting to think that I'm just going to freshen up the car over winter and make sure everything is at 110%

However there is one mod I'm planning on doing. I call it the winter beater. Basically drive the 98 sunfire during winter and when I take the mustang back out it'll feel like a freaking rocket hahaha
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Lol, I just lost my winter car to a spun crank bearing. Shopping right now for another one. Your right about the first ride in the spring, the mustang feels like a top fuel car after driving crap for 5 months

Keep in touch next year, it'd be fun to get a couple cars together and meet at WIR for tnt.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 PM
brennan1994

Lol, I just lost my winter car to a spun crank bearing. Shopping right now for another one. Your right about the first ride in the spring, the mustang feels like a top fuel car after driving crap for 5 months

Keep in touch next year, it'd be fun to get a couple cars together and meet at WIR for tnt.
Ouch that sucks. A cavalier or sunfire is pretty decent for a winter beater. My sunfire is a tank in the snow and is an alright little car. Finding am older one for cheap shouldn't be too hard. Just a suggestion.

I'll definitely make a note somewhere for next year. Its always fun to run against someone you know and chat with other car guys
Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd personally save your money and start working that 60 down. You have all you need to start pulling 1.8-1.7 60's. The old rule of thumb is every tenth you knock off your 60ft, knocks 2tenths off off your et. Your at 2.0 60's now, launching alittle harder, getting a 60ft of 1.8 will drop your et .4 sec. This was an example, but it work out exactly as said for me.

How hard are you launching the car, what rpm? How hot are you getting the tires? Whats your tire pressure? Are you spinning at all at the launch? I don't know your car but you've got everything you need to pull your 60ft down in the 1.7's, and that's a very addictive feeling when a car hooks and goes.

^^I'm with this guy- You can easily knock half a second off of your ET without any hp increase. Just need a better launch. Can you name the brand and components in your suspension?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 AM
brennan1994

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
^^I'm with this guy- You can easily knock half a second off of your ET without any hp increase. Just need a better launch. Can you name the brand and components in your suspension?

Eibach pro damper struts/shocks, eibach sportline springs, car is lowered 1.5 inches. I'm not sure the brand of the rear control arms. I can try and check sometime
Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brennan1994
Ouch that sucks. A cavalier or sunfire is pretty decent for a winter beater. My sunfire is a tank in the snow and is an alright little car. Finding am older one for cheap shouldn't be too hard. Just a suggestion.

I'll definitely make a note somewhere for next year. Its always fun to run against someone you know and chat with other car guys
Lol, it was a 99 Cavalier, with the "bulletproof 2.2", they are good motors but I was duped by po, they had it fixed on the cheap and it lasted long enough to last a month for me before it lost oil pressure. I pulled it apart to see their handywork. Live and learn.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by brennan1994
Eibach pro damper struts/shocks, eibach sportline springs, car is lowered 1.5 inches. I'm not sure the brand of the rear control arms. I can try and check sometime
Okay, so that setup is good for handling (cornering) but it will actually hurt your 60-foot times. That is to say, the stock shocks/struts/springs would 60-foot better than that stiff suspension you're running. Again, those parts are great for cornering, but if you want better 60-foot times, we need to be looking at Strange 10-way adjustable shocks & struts, Eibach drag springs, UPR control arms... etc.

I ran 12.91 @ 103.7 in my '89 LX with the bone stock motor and basically just DR's and UPR suspension.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 AM
brennan1994

Lol, it was a 99 Cavalier, with the "bulletproof 2.2", they are good motors but I was duped by po, they had it fixed on the cheap and it lasted long enough to last a month for me before it lost oil pressure. I pulled it apart to see their handywork. Live and learn.
Damn that blows... that's why I'm glad I've got a dad that knows almost everything about car repairs. If anything goes wring I go to him first, even though he's a Chevy guy hahahaha

Quick Reply: bolt ons done... so now what