Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 MUSTANG GT
Default the start of the 5.0 craze

Having graduated high school in 1995, i was well immersed in the fox 5.0 hysteria. But it wasnt until later i realised that the 82 GT was the vehicle that really sparked the interest. Even for me as a young kid at 6 years old a neighbor bought a new 1982 Mustang GT in silver metallic...how i remember that i dont know. I remember it didnt sound like any other car i was aware of. With its good looks it was then ( little did i know at the time) i fell in love with Mustangs. Yet even today I wonder why you dont really hear anyone mention the humble 82 GT seems its forgotten everyone loves the 87-93 fox body ponies. Its a shame i think the 82 GT is a very significant milestone in the 50 yr history of the Mustang. Tell me what you think
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
DCzapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Wasn't that when the V8 was available with either a 4.2L or upgraded 5.0? And the 6 was a 2.8L? I know that's right when ford "started" to bring the performance back into the mustang. I wouldn't mind having one.
Mods:93 octane race tune by AmericanMuscle/Bama performance
Pypes pype bomb axle backs and a K&N air filter
Csrt4to5.0gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt View Post
Wasn't that when the V8 was available with either a 4.2L or upgraded 5.0? And the 6 was a 2.8L? I know that's right when ford "started" to bring the performance back into the mustang. I wouldn't mind having one.
The 4.2 was an experiment in 81. For 82 they returned the 302, or 5.0 not that itvwas absntvfor long but even in the mustang 2 it was a weak offering at best. Whats significant about 82 is the fact that it was the first Mustang in about a decade that had delivered on performance. It really got the public excited about Mustangs and American performance in general.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

I was close on the year of the 4.2 but I knew that was the beginning of bringing the performance back to the stang. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend getting the hardcover book, Mustang: Fifty Years. It's the newest publishing celebrating 50 years of the mustang right up to, and including, the 2014's.
Mods:93 octane race tune by AmericanMuscle/Bama performance
Pypes pype bomb axle backs and a K&N air filter
Csrt4to5.0gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

Already got the book. Its a great book to sit down with on a long snowy winter day.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

Ya know i wonded how an 82 GT with its 157 hp 302 would compare to a 65 GT with a K code 65 GT, as far as performance
Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 AM   #7
tinman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 84 Mustang, 59 Ranchero

Just mho but the new horsepower race started among the big 3 automakers about 1982.
There was a lot of pent up demand in this country for some sort of a new muscle then.
Just the old supply/demand deal working itself out.
fortunately for most of the people on this board the horsepower race hasn't stopped since........
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989

I'm a gen Xer and remember the 82 coming out. It was a healthy dose of performance that ford was lacking in those days. But it also wasn't really a hot car. Z28s had a completely different / new look and is what most H.S. guys wanted. I was different than most in that I liked the mustangs. I like GM cars.. but a V8 mustang w/T-tops and a stick just made me drool back then.

87-93s ruled the stop lights and was obtainable for most young guys. GNs & Vettes were just not a teen or 20s car because of their costs, Z28s/TAs were around but most young guys couldn't afford the 350 or 305TPI versions until they were used or handed down. (ins cost was a big part of it)

If I could go to a ford dealership today and buy a..... 82 exterior w/T-Tops, 85 interior, w/2014 drivetrain? I would sell everything except my children and wife.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 01-27-2014 at 12:03 PM.
wydopnthrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

Like I said to start this thread, the 82 GT really caught my attention when i was a young kid and i have loved mustangs ever since. In my early teens a new family moved in across the street. Their teenage son had a 78 king cobra which he modified with an aftermarket cast aluminium intake and a 4 bbl carb ....Damn did that car sound sweet i can still hear him banging the gears down the back roads.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #10
tinman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 84 Mustang, 59 Ranchero

I was in high school during the time that the early generation of muscle cars were on the streets/strips everywhere.
The early Mustang did NOT have a great reputation in those days as most any GTO or BB Chevelle would out run it.......
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement