5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Tired of the drone. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Default Tired of the drone. Please Help

Hey guys, I got a 93 with aluminum heads and a vortech making about 10 -12 pounds. My exhaust consist of an offroad h-pipe with magnaflows run straight out the back. I am not sure what gears I have but with the nitto drag radials my rpms are around 18 to 1900 at 55mph.

The drone is getting annoying. At 1500 rpms it can't be heard at all but, at speed limit it is too loud to talk normal in the car. The car is a vert so I'm sure that doesn't help.

I am open to any suggestions. I thought about welding in some cats but, that may create some backpressure and I really don't want my boost to go up. Plus they can burn out. I would consider that a last resort next to a transmission if there is one geared a bit higher in high gear than my t-5.

Any ideas? Performance really doesn't matter since the car is pretty fast for a street car to begin with.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Both magna flow and flow master make different series of muffler from quiet to loud.

Or change your rear gear ratio , if you have 4.10 go to 3.73. If you have 3.73 go to 3.55. You will loose some performance though.

Or you could get the Tremec Z-spec HD T5 trans M-7003-Z , the final drive is slightly higher at .63 , compared to the stock T5 at .68 final. This cuts a few hundred rpm at 55 in 5th.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:05 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Add some resonators to the exhaust. Something kinda like a glass pack. Might help drone and won't choke down exhaust.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I will check into those ideas. The gears I prolly can't do since I think I am around a 3.27 already. The trans I won't do either since I'm about 460 at the wheels. I will look into the others though. My magnaflows look like regular mufflers.
I will do some research though, thanks for the ideas
Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Add some resonators to the exhaust. Something kinda like a glass pack. Might help drone and won't choke down exhaust.
^^^What he said... If you're on an budget go get some 12" Thrush mufflers at NAPA for $25/ea and replace a slight bit of your tail or mid pipes with them (cutting and clamps/welding required)...

If you don't like that idea, get some overall quieter mufflers for a bit more money.

My overall suggestion is a REALLY loud stereo and passengers that you don't want to talk to anyhow. Road tripping in my 91 with the woman is a perfect experience with my Pypes "The Beast" system.. I can't hear a word she says and if she looks "cross" at me I pull it down a gear and let it eat until she has other concerns (somewhere around 90-100mph)...

Basically, F your passengers... It's your damn car and they can walk or drive their Prius or bike or fruit boot where ever the hell they are going...

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 03-31-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

lol, I like the f passengers idea. It is loud as **** with the top down anyways
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Dexter007

One word: Dynamat. I have a vert I'm restoring and had new exhaust put in. I liked the way it sounded until I removed the entire interior. Omg it's loud as hell. I plan on doing the entire floor and back of the back seat in Dynamat.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dexter007
One word: Dynamat. I have a vert I'm restoring and had new exhaust put in. I liked the way it sounded until I removed the entire interior. Omg it's loud as hell. I plan on doing the entire floor and back of the back seat in Dynamat.
+1 on the dynamat Is a pain to pull carpet and all out but it does make a world of difference inside.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

thanks, I thought about that idea but, being a vert, I didn't think it would really help. I'm gonna try that first
Old 02-20-2016, 07:51 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I thought I would update this. I ended up taking my car to some redneck in Fayette, AL. He teed off my h-pipe and welded in a couple of capped off pipes about 28-30 inches long.

MY CAR SOUNDS FREAKING AMAZING. that is the general consensus anyways

Quick Reply: Tired of the drone. Please Help