5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

First pass at the track!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Default First pass at the track!

F-ing sucked! Just put a centerforce clutch in like 2000 miles ago. The clutched slipped like a motha when I punched it in second. Smoke was boiling up through the gear shifter and would not go into gear until I was in the turning lane. Had a 2.21 60' pedaling first until it spun at 5k. Final result, 10.84 at 45 in the 8th. (1/8th mile track)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

What quadrant/clutch adjuster are you running?

How does it act on the street?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

are you getting oil on the clutch?? Because I use a centerforce and I've not had an issue slipping
Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

It is a bbk I believe. Been a few years since I bought it. I'm pretty sure it is though. And no oil, I left the old rear main seal in when I put it in since the motor is still fresh.

I thought about trying to adjust it at the track a little but, i didn't want to f it up since I drove it to the track.

This is the first time it has done it besides a little chatter on the street trying to start out in second with a pretty high rpm launch. I shifted so fast, my rpms were probably up some still and I don't do that on the street.

Tell you what I will do, I will adjust it to where it engages pretty much on the floorboard and try another 2nd gear 4k launch. If it chatters, I'm gonna put the kevlar back in. That thing never slipped.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 03-31-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

It was out of adjustment. But, it probably should be the way I smoked it down yesterday. I tried the 4k launch in second and it smoked the tires down. 3k launch it chirped and and bogged. I really couldn't tell if it slipped or not. Then, I tried a 3rd gear power shift and it broke the tires loose....so, it is going to stay in. I will just make sure to zero the clutch in at the track before I make a pass next time
Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

why are you launching in 2nd gear????? of course it'll smoke a clutch doing that............
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

lol, The pass at the track was in first. I was testing it out and believe it or not it didn't smoke it. The other time was to see how well it would do in a street race. With street tires, it is actually quicker. Now with something that hooks, it will bog the motor or smoke the clutch. But with street tires, it will spin a little off the line but, will actually run quicker.

I know it sounds retarded but, I have a kevlar clutch sitting in the closet. If it would have smoked it down in second, I would have put it in. The track is too far and being a student that also works a full-time job, I didn't want to waste another day at the track just to find out I had to put a clutch in.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
lol, The pass at the track was in first. I was testing it out and believe it or not it didn't smoke it. The other time was to see how well it would do in a street race. With street tires, it is actually quicker. Now with something that hooks, it will bog the motor or smoke the clutch. But with street tires, it will spin a little off the line but, will actually run quicker.

I know it sounds retarded but, I have a kevlar clutch sitting in the closet. If it would have smoked it down in second, I would have put it in. The track is too far and being a student that also works a full-time job, I didn't want to waste another day at the track just to find out I had to put a clutch in.
if your car bogs with something that hooks...ie a sticky tire, then you need for gear, saw in another post you had 3.27 gears?? most likely not enough when the car hooks to get the pony galloping
Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

True, it does need a bit more gear and changing them would probably help it. That may be why you have had better luck with the clutch.

My concern is that I read the df clutch is good for 450hp. I assume they rate that at the flywheel and my car is over that at the wheels. Plus it is a full weight vert.