Hey guys, been a little bit since I posted any progress. I'm going to use this thread for a "build" thread. Keep track of my progress with both my fox bodies, and of course, build that Notchback!
Took some vacation time off of work to get the shop cleaned up for the car to sit in while I start the project (along with some good old redneck weatherproofing
.) I don't have room in my garage where I'm at, nor do I have access to the tools needed for certain jobs (engine pulling for one).
To say this was going to be an easy task.. hah.. oh man. The front of the shop had a small area to pull vehicles in to work. Pretty much every where else was a bit of a "storage" area, where eventually over time things just got thrown there with the idea of organizing.
When something is of low priority, you tend to ignore it.. Not anymore, and not today!
Due to the graphic nature of this/these picture(s), it is advised to NOT do this at home (well, nevermind.. if your shop looks like this, please DO this. You will feel better, trust me).
It all began with:
Slowly over time it was getting cleaner:
Lots of beer runs and lots of pain later:
Oh.. and the following morning we decided we needed to handle the ground area (it being a dirt floor and all). So we took a tin roll from an old pool that wasn't rusted out, and decided to cut 17' strips. We laid it out 9' wide, and covered that with some black matting. The epitome of poor mans weatherproofing, but after a 3 day stint of rain, it amazingly did a great job.
Pushed the car the rest of the way in, and measured from the wall to the full door extension. Came out with 42", and just added an extra 6" for good measure. End result, a saddled pony (with a 4 year old spectator making sure the car is ok
.) Decided once she was in I was going to rip out the intake in the white one and try to chase down a serious starting/idling issue I've been having since I got this car. I've done almost everything EXCEPT tearing apart the intake to look at the lifter valley.
Started in slow with just taking off the CAI and inspecting the surrounding area around the TB. Thought to myself that I had to just rip everything apart so I started to it:
Before this picture was taken, when I went to start removing the fuel rails, I inspected the injector harness around the #8 runner. It looked.. loose.. Upon further inspection (sticking my face to it basically), I noticed #8 cylinder was running without an injector.. oh how nice of the previous owner to do the intake and not plug it in..
. There's where my miss was coming from! Not to mention, the harness ground wire was well.. ripped off. Starting issue found? Maybe..
All was ok though, I had a spare harness laying around that I ended up using. Contact cleaned the 10 pins and used a liberal amount of Dielectric Grease.
After everything was plugged down, I started adding coolant to see if any leaks were present. Doh.. I forgot to plug the EGR coolant passage. Quick trip to the hardware store for a 3/8" NPT plug and I was good to go. Re-filled.. Oh no.. looks like its coming from the front of the intake this time.. Grabbed a move-able mirror, and saw the thermostat housing leaking. The thermostat had moved (despite being RTV'd) under the gasket, and caused a leak. Pulled that, let it cure for a little bit longer, and put it back after cleaning the surfaces. No more leaks yay! Changed the oil, and yelled fire in the hole. Car burst into life after the injectors primed, with an idle that sounded so mean.. Granted it was because the base timing needed to be set. Set the base timing to 14 degrees, and the car ran like a raped ape. Can't wait to drop this into the Notch while I build something bigger!
Idle Video (with a half-hearted yay because I was completely exhausted):
This was a pretty fun trip. First time I had ever done a full intake swap. I'm glad I did because I pretty much fixed every idle/drive-ability problem this engine ever had since I got it, within 2 days time.
Next visit is to start on the Notchback suspension! Stay tuned!