5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Picked up a new notch!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Good job on the Notch and congrats on new job, more pay and new 5.0!!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JBeachstang11
Good job on the Notch and congrats on new job, more pay and new 5.0!!
Thank you . How's your project coming along by the way?

Last I checked you were still trying to diagnose an idle issue. Ever get that resolved? If so, how's she runnin?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:39 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Project 14' Update -- Story Time!

Today sucked.. like suck sucked. Rainy day, work was dead slow, and I just sat and pondered my next mod(s) for my new coyote.

Along came 8pm, and I was off to home. When I got home from work, I saw this on my door step.

HMMMMMMMMM.. this looks oddly familiar .

So of course I opened the box on my porch. What was inside was beautiful.

After inspecting the parts for potential hazards (shipping damage), I looked straight into the mouth of the screamer that I'm going to hear for the next "???" years.

Muffler? What muffler lol..

Ok ok ok.. I knew this was coming in the mail. I brought home tools specifically to do this the moment I got home. Obviously I wasted zero time and grabbed my jack + some jack stands, extension cables, and lights. Didn't even grab towels for the wet driveway cause I really didn't care about getting wet. I just wanted her to sing like Aretha Franklin ate Rob Zombie and muttered the lyrics to bohemian rhapsody.

So the tear down begins, and everything was lined up. Pre-emptive "thank you mom" for running outside to watch me and hand me tools when I needed. She's a great mom.

After I was under the car for a little bit, I didn't really bother messing with my phone too much. I finished one side and wanted to see a size comparison of the exhaust tips, and "mufflers".

Was a noticeable difference underneath, but you had to do a double take to see the left exhaust tip was about an inch diameter bigger.

After taking way too many pictures because my mom told me to (she really insisted I take more, and I took a lot), I finished the adjacent side and took one more good side shot.

Now with the install done, I frantically rolled out from under the car, and jacked it up enough to get the jack stands out from under the rear end.

Lowered the car back down, and my really awesome neighbors came out to check the finished product out.

This exhaust sounds so different in person (louder than the video), and I still have my resonators on. They will be gone soon enough, and my whole neighborhood will know the sound of a coyote 5.0 engine braking from up the street.

Video Link:

Enjoy!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:40 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sounds great......…... for a coyote, but that fox was crying inside and asking "where's the love"
Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Small Update..

Old 12-20-2015, 12:36 AM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Welp.. Resurrecting this thread again. The ol' 5.0 is getting finished once and for all!!

I've sold my Coyote, bought a 15' Focus ST, still have my 90' Coupe, and well.. the project has been kicked into hyperdrive. I mean every bit of that term.

Seeing as this car has been in my hands without a powerplant for quite some time, I decided to get a decent condition 91 cast motor with stock internals a couple months ago (well.. I bought a "running parts car" aka giant turd with a good trans and hearty engine. Tore it down to the bare block, junked the E7 heads, junked the stock intake, well.. I junked a lot of stuff. It was an ABC engine (and I'm very lucky to have the cam sheet for this one to reference the right parts for my build lol)

Bought some heads off craigslist, 10:1 comp, 210cc runners, put new valves (2.02mm intake, 1.6 exhaust), AFR guideplates, TF pushrods, TF rockers, etc. I regasketed everything w/fel pro gaskets, and put in a new ford racing oil pump as well. Cam is .512 intake lift w/ 280 duration. Decent lope, good enough for now until I decide to go crazy.

Basically the bottom end is finished, top end will be finished either Dec 25th, or during that week (probably wednesday at the latest).

I have approx. 40 boxes arriving in the mail this week, and I have no flipping idea on where I am going to store them..

Anyways, the TLDR is:

Sold Coyote, Kept Coupe, Rebuilding Coupe, Spent stupid amount of money this week to finish it, Approx finish date is Dec 25th.. Merry Christmas to me?

Some pics for science:

I have a couple more on my phone, but.. I'll wait til the finished project to tease you guys with those.

Oh.. Figured this thread needed some Comedy tax, so here's a couple pictures for giggles:

Look's like I'm on the opposite side of this one for once.. The irony is delightful

Old 12-20-2015, 09:39 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

did you check ptv? I see stock pistons and 2.02 valves, radial ptv is of most concern..............210 heads?? 10 to 1?? and f-cam?? what do you hope this thing will run / produce power wise??
Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

And what about the Coyote didn't you like ?

Nice to see the notch back up on the table though.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:16 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
did you check ptv? I see stock pistons and 2.02 valves, radial ptv is of most concern..............210 heads?? 10 to 1?? and f-cam?? what do you hope this thing will run / produce power wise??
PTV is fine. Friend of mine ran the same setup with no issues, he just went a different path and sold me the heads.

Pro Comp 210 heads w/AFR guide plates, 58cc combustion chamber, pro comp springs and retainers, trick flow 1.7 rockers on intake and 1.6 on exhaust. Keeping the timing @ 10 base. I have a picture of the built list of the heads, but I'm currently at work and it's on my home computer.

Yes the cam is an F cam. I have the lift and duration somewhere on a piece of paper at home. I will eventually get a cam ground for my specific setup whenever I decide which power adder I plan to go with.

Hoping to see a little over 300 at the wheel all motor. Friend of mine is selling me a turbo kit with 2 hot sides and a custom 3" exhaust. T67 ball bearing turbo. I'll have the bottom end rebuilt to lower compression and get a girdle (or just upgrade to a different block which is likely the best decision if I take that path).

Not expecting this block to last long if I decide to turbo it, especially with the combustion chamber being so small. I have 2 spare longblocks, one is 89 cast the other is out of a 93 cobra.

I appreciate any input on setup if you have any such as cam selection, pistons/rods, etc. I have a Victor Jr intake I'm putting on, and a friend is trying to convince me to buy a 347 stroker kit instead of the turbo kit. Choices Choices

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
And what about the Coyote didn't you like ?

Nice to see the notch back up on the table though.
Coyote was a fun car. It was quick, and it was obnoxiously loud. Looked damn good when it was lowered too. I LOVED that car, I'll be honest lol.

I didn't like how bloody expensive parts were for it, nor did I like the design of the MT-82 trans or the shifter.

Those two things honestly ruined the coyote experience for me. I sold it back to the dealership sight unseen (they knew it was heavily modded), so I had 1-2 weeks to remove the mods and bring it back to them.

I did a small exterior detail on it, and the only mod I left on there was my CPE resonator delete piping. Everything else was returned back to stock trim, including the stock wheels (which they requested).

I will never sell my coupe. Foxbodies have always been my true passion, and I regret like hell the moment I sold my old beat up white hatch. This car will definitely deliver on the shock and awe factor.

After engine/drivetrain is finished, I plan to get the body work finalized. Black primer with Competition Orange paint. I can't wait to see what it will look like.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:39 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 90nSSMD
PTV is fine.
if you say so........................my advice sell the pro-comp heads and f-cam, get some decent heads and do a 347 if using a stock block........save the boost idea for when you have a good aftermarket block, I'm not one for throwing boost on a stock block unless it's low boost and a stud girdle is a total waste on a stock block it'll do nothing, main studs are all you need on the bottom end .........cap walk is the issue that causes the blocks to split and girdles do not stop that......keep rpm's below 6k for it to live and avoid cap walk. build the 347 right and it'll beat most low boost 302 set ups, my h/c/i 89 vert with 12 psi runs right with my n/a 85 gt with a 347, both trap 120+ in the 1/4, the 85 has the edge.

Quick Reply: Picked up a new notch!