5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Got it. '87 T-Top GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 AM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

Great find, my 87 T-Top was painted the same as yours I believe. It is now gray sealer primer. Interior is gray, when bought a lot had been removed PO was intending on racing it. Headliner and other pieces are missing "but" the luggage cover is still there..hehe..
Mines is pretty straight and is fairly decent rust wise, only a few small areas to attend to.
Have fun with it and enjoy. Oh be sure to wear sun block when tops are removed...just sayin!!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Got the mats in today.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Never seen the luggage cover. Nice work.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the comments.

I was going to start a thread about the progress on the restoration, but this one should work nicely.

I'll update as a move along. (slowly)

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Work done today:

Removed smog pump. (the previous owner had bypassed it and disconnected it anyway, so I just finished up the job)

Removed the old fog lights. They were pretty much just shards of glass barely hanging on. It looked terrible, so now there's just holes where the new ones will go when I get them.

Removed the alarm siren from under the hood. The aftermarket alarm didn't work anyway, and the siren was just under there rattling around, so that's gone now.

Most important, I got 4 new tires today so it's actually safe to drive now. I gotta get wiper blades and I'm pretty sure it will pass inspection.

I got classic insurance on it yesterday, and did the paperwork for the title yesterday too.

Things are moving right along.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:59 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Got a new repro dome light cover in today off ebay.

The auction said it wouldn't work for a T-Top car, but on a hunch after looking closely at the pics and measuring, I decided to take a chance and order one.

Fits perfectly.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Anybody ever seen a working hood light? I know I hadn't before this car! LOL

Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Not much to report lately.

I had a setback this past weekend. I took the car in to get inspected on Saturday, and when I went to try to start it to leave, the key wouldn't turn. I mean wouldn't even budge.

If I had to guess, the dumb kid who pulled it around didn't know about the button under the steering column, and just forced the key out. When I went to put the key in, the tip wouldn't even go in.

So, long story short, I spent Saturday night and Sunday morning drilling out and replacing the ignition cylinder switch.

All's well that ends well, she's back and running.

Tomorrow I'm taking it by an upholstery shop to get an estimate on fixing the ripped driver's side bolster.

It REALLY needs a new throttle body, it's really unpleasant to drive, so that has moved up on the priority list. It sticks really bad. I'm going to pull it off and see if I can fix it, but I doubt it. It probably needs a new one.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Not much new to report, other than I bought a brand new Accufab throttle body.

I contemplated taking off the stock unit and seeing if I could dremel down or fix the worn spot, but then realized how much of an absurd waste of time that would probably be.

Figured, bite the bullet and get a nice new one and be DONE.

So that's what I did. I'll try to get to putting it on this week, but realistically I wont have time until the weekend.

The weather is crappy, so it's not really T-Top driving weather right now anyway!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:10 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Wow!

It's amazing what a difference a quality, properly functioning part can make.

I put the new Accufab throttle body on today, and it fixed two problems. The throttle doesn't stick anymore, for one.

Also, on a hunch I thought that maybe the bucking and rough running when warm might be because of the EGR, so I got the Accufab EGR delete spacer. Now it starts up nice, runs smooth, and doesn't hesitate when I go to start it.

The car is actually a pleasure to drive now.

This is the one I got:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Throttle-Body

Quick Reply: Got it. '87 T-Top GT