5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Got it. '87 T-Top GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Your plastic fan seems very familiar too me... Glad I found mine before it found my hood!

I've never had much luck getting those pads to stay on... Any tips?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maxwelhse
Your plastic fan seems very familiar too me... Glad I found mine before it found my hood!

I've never had much luck getting those pads to stay on... Any tips?
I don't know how well this one will stay on. I haven't driven the car much since.

I'll be curious also if it stays on.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 AM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
I don't know how well this one will stay on. I haven't driven the car much since.

I'll be curious also if it stays on.
I'm curious why you decided on a plastic replacement instead of a metal, since you're sticking with the mechanical fan?

I'm going to be switching over to an electric eventually, but the metal fan does me well.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Hadn't really thought about it, but I'm good with keeping it as stock as possible right now I guess. The plastic fan worked for 27 years, this one should be good for a while.

If the motor ever goes bye bye, I'll definitely do heads, cam, and intake, and do all the other stuff around it to support the extra performance.

I've danced this dance too many times before, I'm ready to just have a car to enjoy and drive instead of it being in pieces all the time!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Not much new to report. Just been driving it and enjoying it.

I did buy an extra set of T-Tops.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have this irrational fear of something breaking and not being able to find either a replacement, or parts for the broken T-top mechanism.

Plus, this new set looks to be in better shape than mine anyway. The previous owner had sunshade things that were stuck on the underside of the T-Tops. Over the years, the rubber ate the tint, so when I remove the sunshades, it left 4 round spots where the rubber suction cups were.

This new set looks to be in much better shape judging by the pictures. We'll see for sure in a few days.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
You might check your ignition switch, I know you just replaced it, but if the electronic part got stuck, might cause a hang up as well, like if you held the key on too long.

I had the opposite issue, I had to rotate the key slightly backwards after starting to get the accessories to turn on, turned out be the electrical connection in the ignition switch, but it was a simple, non-mechanical fix, which might be a good place to start, idk

very common problem and iirc was the subject of a recall back in the day.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Got my spare set of T-Tops in today. They are in great shape, much better than my stock ones. Paint is better, and no weird stains on the tint.

There's no key though, so I'll have to replace the locks, I already found a new set.

The seals are actually better too, I'll probably put these on whenever I wash the car. That way I wont have to line the seats with towels to soak up all the water that leaks in during the wash!

LOL
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 AM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
Got my spare set of T-Tops in today. They are in great shape, much better than my stock ones. Paint is better, and no weird stains on the tint.

There's no key though, so I'll have to replace the locks, I already found a new set.

The seals are actually better too, I'll probably put these on whenever I wash the car. That way I wont have to line the seats with towels to soak up all the water that leaks in during the wash!

LOL
That's what they make big black trash bags for. I carry spares
Old 08-29-2014, 05:49 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eb2gt
That's what they make big black trash bags for. I carry spares
Ha! Great idea!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:02 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

I finally tried out that touch up paint I got a few months ago. It's not perfect, and while the paint is correct, it doesn't match exactly because of 27 year of fading, but it's better than it was, and a WHOLE lot cheaper than a paint job!

I need to buy some more cans, I had enough to do some of the worst spots. I'll probably end up doing all of the titanium lower section eventually.

Here's what it looks like now. A whole lot better than huge ugly yellow spots!

Quick Reply: Got it. '87 T-Top GT