Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

New Guy and 1990 GT build up

Old 05-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #21
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod@latemodel View Post
Welcome to the forums. Interested to see how this car turns out for you. It looks like you have a good starting point, and you got a heck of a deal on it at $1600!
Thanks Jarrod! It's coming along. Already ordered quite a few parts from you guys. Just waiting on the carpets to be in stock.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
JBeachstang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #22
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Got a new steering rack ready to go in. Just bought a new high pressure line and got the bushings in the mail to mount it. Hope to get that in soon.

Made some more progress on the motor after finally getting it back from the machine shop.

Last edited by JBeachstang11; 06-01-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #24
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #25
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Wanted to pull the heads apart and maybe even replaced the seals and clean all the valves etc but having a hard time getting the double spring with damper valve springs off with a typical twist style valve spring compressor. Can't get the hooks on the inner spring. Maybe Just run with it?

Also still looking for cam. Have new stock length pushrods coming 6.248" and new roller lifters coming. Need rockers as well. Looking to pick up some crane 1.6 rollers off CL for $150, barely any miles on them. Still considering the B31, TFS1, CompXE274HR or similar.

Guess I'll need 24lbs injectors based on quick inj HP math falling between 24lbs and 30lbs.

Probably go with the Quarterhorse program as well for tuning.

If anyone has any input on this setup so far post it up! Block is .060 over, stock crank, B303 cam as of now, Heads are 2.02 intake valve and 60cc by the way.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Bore: 4.060in
Stroke: 3in
Cylinder Head Volume: 60cc in.
Effective Dome Volume: 8cc
Deck Clearance: .014in
Compressed Gasket Thickness: .047 in
Number of Cylinders: 8
Compression Ratio : 8.84:1
Total Displacement (in.3) : 310.71
Total Displacement cc's : 5093.61

Dropping the gasket down to .030 will bump compression to 9.23 but I am not even sure it would be worth the minimal gain in power.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #27
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Well motor and trans is in the car and I've driven it around a bit to set the rings and do a break in. Have the Moates quarterhorse and BE2012 no wideband yet and I'm trying to get all the functions to work, esp the gauges so I can see AFR and LAMBDA

Have all my injector slopes entered for the 24# and the MAF slope, disabled the EGR and Smog. Used the GUFB strat and A9L calibration then tweaked a bit.

Any help with the guage function. Still have to go out to the car and plug her in to write the last changes including some of the datalogging tags.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
mjr46
Pro-comp heads rule!

Vehicle: 85 mustang

you should be measuring for push rods, no assuming stock length will work, all cams base circles are not the same and if using aluminum heads and gasket thickness will all affect length needed. Not sure what head you'll be using but if it's aluminum, never once has a stock length worked for me, and getting the narrowest witness mark is what you're after, not necessarily the "center" it on the valve stem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #29
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr46 View Post
you should be measuring for push rods, no assuming stock length will work, all cams base circles are not the same and if using aluminum heads and gasket thickness will all affect length needed. Not sure what head you'll be using but if it's aluminum, never once has a stock length worked for me, and getting the narrowest witness mark is what you're after, not necessarily the "center" it on the valve stem
That's what I would have figured as well. I took a pic of the marks after I bolted the head on using a solid roller (converted), those rods and my comp rockers. I'll try to dig it up.

Car has been running great. Was datalogging more today just playing with the idle after getting my tstat and new cap on. Also had to wire in a fan controller since the prev owner hard wired it to ign.

Finally got all my gauges in Binary Editor to start reading after going back over my data log payloads.

Idle still surging a bit. Hope to take it out tomorrow after new clutch cable and get some good logs and more miles on new engine.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #30
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

The top mark is clear enough to see how both were riding on the stems.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #31
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Went on a longer drive today, hottest day in the history of the world too. Car' didn't overheat either even with some moderate driving. Looking to swap the ghetto fan setup for a contour or mark 8 like I used on my ram. Nice fans. Already wired in a controller but doubt it would run the mark 8 amperage.

Anyhow still need to check the tps voltage, but it idles rough and surges. Set the timing today at 13 and lowered the idle screw so it was around 800 or about on the BE2012 readout.

BE won't give me MPH, Fuel Pressure or ECT readings which I'd like, especially for datalogging.

Only real issue today was some mid rpm sputter under moderate to heavy acceleration. I thought maybe I gapped my plugs too wide but they are set at .051" and it calls for .054" so that's fine.

Once I got home I realized my base timing was good but I have a A9P computer (prev owner) in my original 5spd car. All that is good except the timing curve is more aggressive with the P so my 14 deg is huge even off idle 1000rpm.

ECU 1000 rpm 1800 rpm 2600 rpm 3500 rpm 5000+ rpm
A9L 8 ° 18.5 ° 22.5 ° 22 ° 26 °
A9P 21.25 ° 21.25 ° 27.25 ° 26 ° 30.75 °
X3Z cobra 8° 18.5 ° 22.5 ° 22 ° 25 °

Should I back off the timing to around 8 or so do to this? Kinda makes sense now that it was sputtering under accel if my timing was way advanced no?

It has 93 oct in it but engine is only 9.0:1 static.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #32
mjr46
Pro-comp heads rule!

14 base shouldn't cause any spuddering, I'd look elsewhere for the issue, I run 19 base on a 347 with no issue

Quote:
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #33
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Quote:
14 base shouldn't cause any spuddering, I'd look elsewhere for the issue, I run 19 base on a 347 with no issue
Just curious what comp you are running?

Also started to check tps volts and right away the green to black was .48 so going to open the holes for adjustment to put it within the range for idle then check the wot and how the voltage increase looks as the blade opens.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #34
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 90 GT, 90 Notch, 14 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeachstang11 View Post
Just curious what comp you are running?

Also started to check tps volts and right away the green to black was .48 so going to open the holes for adjustment to put it within the range for idle then check the wot and how the voltage increase looks as the blade opens.
That tps voltage could be the idle gremlin. I have mine set to .97.

If I recall correctly the ford specs for the tps voltage are between .8 and 1.12, although most people swear by .96-.98. .97 has mine idling perfect at 900 with an e cam. Best of luck on diagnosing that surge issue!
90nSSMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #35
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90nSSMD View Post
That tps voltage could be the idle gremlin. I have mine set to .97.

If I recall correctly the ford specs for the tps voltage are between .8 and 1.12, although most people swear by .96-.98. .97 has mine idling perfect at 900 with an e cam. Best of luck on diagnosing that surge issue!
Thank you! Just seems this could also be affecting my sputter at hard acceleration since all the ignition is new besides the coil which is fairly new, and this would affect wot readings and open loop mode.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #36
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 90 GT, 90 Notch, 14 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeachstang11 View Post
Thank you! Just seems this could also be affecting my sputter at hard acceleration since all the ignition is new besides the coil which is fairly new, and this would affect wot readings and open loop mode.
Didn't know you had a miss under load. TPS would be the first thing I would look at definitely, especially with your current voltage being under .5! If the problem isn't solved by changing the voltage, and the TPS isn't new, try replacing it. Try setting voltage between .95-.99 and tweak from there if need be.

Another thing you can do is pull off the IAB and check for carbon deposits. Sometimes those things can get clogged/stuck and cause idle issues as well.
90nSSMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #37
mjr46
Pro-comp heads rule!

around 10.5 compression I have......also setting tps to .98 is a myth if you know how the ecm thinks per EEC IV GFUB DOC. ANYWHERE from .7 to 1.00 vdc is acceptable, do a sweep of the tps and look for opens

Quote:
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90nSSMD View Post
Didn't know you had a miss under load. TPS would be the first thing I would look at definitely, especially with your current voltage being under .5! If the problem isn't solved by changing the voltage, and the TPS isn't new, try replacing it. Try setting voltage between .95-.99 and tweak from there if need be.

Another thing you can do is pull off the IAB and check for carbon deposits. Sometimes those things can get clogged/stuck and cause idle issues as well.
Definitely, thank you for the advice.

I reset the TPS to read .95 idle and 4.00v at WOT and it reads smoothly all the way up to 4.00 as you open it.

I checked the IAC plugged in and unplugged, same surging and stalling out idle. Pulled it off to clean it and hello there is a block off plate.. I removed that, cleaned the iac and the mounting surface. Reinstalled and tried again.

Same result except with a nice whistle that goes up and down with the surge. It won't stay running unless I hold it above 1000.

Also the EGR is disabled in the A9P so anything on the egr plate would have no bearing unless there was a vacuum leak correct?

So the search continues.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #39
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Quote:
also setting tps to .98 is a myth if you know how the ecm thinks per EEC IV GFUB DOC. ANYWHERE from .7 to 1.00 vdc is acceptable, do a sweep of the tps and look for opens
Right, from what I understand it's a range to be in, and also getting your wot volts proper.

"around 10.5 compression I have......" - Sorry I meant what computer Are you running A9L, A9P, A3M? etc..

Last edited by JBeachstang11; 07-28-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #40
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Replaced with new IAC and no real change, seems a little better but still stalls and won't idle.

Pulled codes eng off Key on and got..

15 rom test fail or power interrupt to memory
85 ecessive fuel pressure or flow, canister purge circuit

91 (not sure since eng was off?) Oxygen sensor problem, fuel pressure out of specified range or injectors out of balance

96 Fuel pump circuit

Oh goody...
Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement