5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New Guy and 1990 GT build up

Old 11-04-2014, 07:03 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
mine is a custom cam from FTI for s/c application, it has some overlap but not as much as the xe274 my lift is .565/.555 and 214/218 @ .050 iirc, tomorrow evening I'll backprobe the hego sensors at the ecm to see if it is actually lean at idle....in theroy it should make my headers glow red that lean, but it hasn't even burned the paint off........I wouldn't of even discovered this issue had I not take the wideband off my carbed ride and put it back on this one........mainly due to the inj's are at 100 percent duty cycle at 5800 and they are 42's ........this thing made more power than I anticipated on the stock block, I really need to revamp the entire fuel system but IMO it's not worth it unless I have a better block, we shut it down on the dyno when it started to go lean at 5800 and power was still climbing at that point it was at 556 rwhp............I;ll let you know the results in a day or so when I get time to back probe the hego's it also tends to be a tad lean at very low speeds and very light cruise which low speed drivibility is a tad inconsistent.
Our lifts are basically the same, like you said my duration is just a bit more than yours. Be interesting if anyone else in here could chime in with their cam/WB readings.

I'll be interested to hear after you back probe them. I think I may do that as well since I have my computer accessible now. I'm thinking I should wire my LC-2 in on the EGR circuit to add that in the BE datalog. I haven't even used the innovate programs yet on the laptop.

Wow man your car sounds like a monster putting that kinda power down at the wheels.. Love it. So basically you'd want to swap in larger injectors but you're feeling like you are close to the line with the block?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:14 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by JBeachstang11
Our lifts are basically the same, like you said my duration is just a bit more than yours. Be interesting if anyone else in here could chime in with their cam/WB readings.

I'll be interested to hear after you back probe them. I think I may do that as well since I have my computer accessible now. I'm thinking I should wire my LC-2 in on the EGR circuit to add that in the BE datalog. I haven't even used the innovate programs yet on the laptop.

Wow man your car sounds like a monster putting that kinda power down at the wheels.. Love it. So basically you'd want to swap in larger injectors but you're feeling like you are close to the line with the block?
well, it'd be a little more than just inj's I really need larger fuel line from tank to up front, larger inj rail and a rear sum tank with larger fuel pumps.....long story short to do the fuel system the way it needs to be done to support 800+ hp I need to dump at least 1500-2k into it, because if I'm gonna do that, I'm not gonna continue to run a stock block, gonna go dart and if that's the case it'll be a 363 and then I'll turn the boost up from 12 psi to at least 18-20 and this is all in a convertible......so you see the mushroom cloud......So I'm just gonna stick where I'm at otherwise it gets real expensive really quick...lol
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

well, it'd be a little more than just inj's I really need larger fuel line from tank to up front, larger inj rail and a rear sum tank with larger fuel pumps.....long story short to do the fuel system the way it needs to be done to support 800+ hp I need to dump at least 1500-2k into it, because if I'm gonna do that, I'm not gonna continue to run a stock block, gonna go dart and if that's the case it'll be a 363 and then I'll turn the boost up from 12 psi to at least 18-20 and this is all in a convertible......so you see the mushroom cloud......So I'm just gonna stick where I'm at otherwise it gets real expensive really quick...lol
My gawd.. Yeah that would get a little out of hand quickly. Maybe pull some boost to keep everything happy for now? Ha, not exactly a fun idea..
Old 11-04-2014, 11:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

My gawd.. Yeah that would get a little out of hand quickly. Maybe pull some boost to keep everything happy for now? Ha, not exactly a fun idea..
yeah that's what my tuner said to do, take the 12 lb pulley off and put a 10 lb one back on.......I say....NOT Go or blow......I just don't run past 5800 for any period of time which most of the damage would occur in long pulls in 3-4th gear so I have all the fun in 1-2 lol
Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

yeah that's what my tuner said to do, take the 12 lb pulley off and put a 10 lb one back on.......I say....NOT Go or blow......I just don't run past 5800 for any period of time which most of the damage would occur in long pulls in 3-4th gear so I have all the fun in 1-2 lol
Hahaha.. Very good!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Hahaha.. Very good!
is yours N/a or Supercharged??
Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Mine is N/A.

Checkin my fuel pump wiring and relay circuit - 1990year, My #4 wire green/tan (high current circuit) has constant 12.65v with key off then drops to 12.4 with key on. Should be 0 with key off and should be Relay ground from PIN 22 at the ECM

Last edited by JBeachstang11; 11-05-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Video of a short cruise. Not really smoking anymore. Will surge for a minute or so when I start it then seems to settle out. Still need to datalog with the innovate stuff and wire it in to the EGR.

Have a new walbro 190lph to swap in to see if that fixes the fuel press issue.

My tank was very low so I couldn't give it much juice in the vid, at one point I was giving it gas in 3rd and it sputtered, could be pump or low fuel level.

Swapping to Borla Pro XS, I'll post another vid for comparison after new pump and pressure readings.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 PM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Swapped mufflers and tailpipes tonight, also replaced the fuel pump.

Haven't run the car - too late..

Did test fuel pressure just with key, motor off and instantly noticed a huge change. Pressure immediately pops to 40psi on the nose and then dips to 32 but holds strong and doesn't slowly bleed down right after priming like the old pump.

Also noticed the old pump rattled when I shook it after removing it. New Walbro did not do that. Maybe that's the check valve?

Hope to run it tomorrow and do a fuel press test with motor on, dumps codes again see if I still get 96.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

see if it no longer runs lean at idle and report back...........my FP is good, I have a hood mount FP gauge and twin fuel pumps, 1 intank and one inline AFM big pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Guy and 1990 GT build up