5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

pulled the trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Default pulled the trans

Well I pulled the trans due to the converter needing restalled and I wanted to check over the trans, due to having some prior issues and the was my first roller build I done. Well I found a large chunk of metal on the drain plug and the typical stuff. Now this trans had maybe 25 runs on it 1/4 and 800 street miles lots of that in town "tops" on all of this.
Clutchs looked great and the trans looked good inside so did the band. So there is still this chunk of metal so I put the input shaft in the converter and it maybe be hurt kind of makes a scrap sound and stops fast at time it is a roller in side. So when it goes back for a restall I will tell him to take a good look at it. got to love this stuff LOL good thing the convert has a good warranty on it.
We talked a good while back about it and we kind of had a shot in the dark stall on this thing due to the car never seeing a dyno and it being a small cid with a bigger then needed turbo on it. But this may be the reason it is blowing through the converter so bad. But I did have the best 60 ft ever with this converter. So I am happy with it if we can just get it a bit tighter up top.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:38 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Gonna need a little back ground. Transmission, converter size and stall speed? And most importantly. What does it run on the turbo setup? Decent sixty with the big turbo?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

C4 trans. 4000 stall 10in converter. Been running 10.50s on 12 psi it has been faster in the past but it was running on high boost and a different converter. checked it was seeing 19% slippage. That is a lot If I wind up the boost I wounder what it would go to. Also 1.57 60 ft off the foot break no boost.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so you pulled the tranny this past weekend John??
Old 06-16-2014, 01:27 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Sure did had it out and torn down for inspect in 3 hrs. I think the converter broke a fin or something inside. That would be some of the reason it felt like it just seem to blow through the converter like it was. It really didnt seem as lose as it was getting when I first put it in I was thinking something was burnt but that all looked really good. good enough I am gone to reuse everything. But this large piece of metal was on the drain plug and it was not there when we took it the valve body out when the band adj. feel off so it had to come from the converter. Like I said everything else looked fine and when I put the input shaft in the converter a spun it you can hear a rubbing sound and sometimes it will just stop. It should not just stop it is a roller in side the converter other times it will just sit there and spin till runs out of force.
No big deal I dont think, it has to come apart for a restall anyway. hope my MPH comes back with the restall some. I am sure it will if we find the convert is hurt. it was showing 19% slippage which is a bunch and he even said that was way to much.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^good luck, I'd like to be motivated to work on mine once again and try and push the envelope with it..lol, maybe when I get my new man cave up...only time will tell, as for now I'm just gonna watch everyone else break...lol
Old 06-17-2014, 05:34 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

just need to get it there do to the warranty running out LOL. when it is fixed I am sure it will just sit there again.But really I would like to run a few times this year
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Well I got a call yesterday about my converter it is broke, the turbine fins in it are bent and broke so that explains the feeling of it not pulling real hard up top and the MPH falling off so bad after the 1/8 mile. So they told me before if it was broke that it would be fixed for free so we will see. Gone to talk with him today and have them tighten it up up top so when I turn up the boost it will hold better also. I hate to give up any of the down low but looks like I may have to give up some. So far they have been top notch with all the dealings with them.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:01 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Ok after talking with them again they are saying the converter fins are bent and they touched. He said I got a bad pump in the trans or it sucked air at some time the pump gears are almost new not buying this bad pump stuff and look perfect. the trans itself looks perfect inside. He also said this is not a warranty issue "here we go" "but in the next mouth full he said he would take care of it this time". So thats good. strange I never had issues with the other converter like this. But in all fairness it could have got air in the lines for a second like he said if the fluid got low but then again the fluid when I checked it was fine. Maybe the fluid moved away from the pick up for a second. he did put a better turbine in it to make it lock hard up top but told me it may leave softer so we will see. Good they took care of it but not real sure the conversation is being up and up with whats gone on. I still have not found where this small chunk of metal came from that looks like a fin he said that it was not from the converter but it is not from the trans thats what makes me think something is not so when we talk. But it will be fixed for free. All in all I am happy unless it was to happen again.

Last edited by uedlose; 07-25-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

also strange from the first post to the last I hit what was wrong with it LOL I have been doing this crap to long LOL.

Quick Reply: pulled the trans