5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 Oddities

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maxwelhse
That implies that it is NOT from a Lincoln and not an HO motor. Could be a truck engine or something.

F150's had the same accessory brackets as the mustang. The only brackets that match are the Lincoln's.

But, from what I understand, the only thing that matters regarding that is the cam.

So, to verify, if I get a cam intended for the H.O engine, I can use the H.O. firing order?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

What is the firing order? The lincoln mark VII came with the HO from 88+ in all models, and 87 the HO was used in the LSC only. The LoPo 5.0 was used in the 79-91 Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and towncar. It had a different firing order from the 5.0, E6 heads, different intake, and flat top pistons with no valve relief (due to this, a stock HO cam is the biggest you can safely use, IIRC) Swapping in the HO cam is easy enough and changes the firing order, so you just adjust the plug wires accordingly. Check your ECM, since it should have a LoPo one with that engine.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NYstang
What is the firing order? The lincoln mark VII came with the HO from 88+ in all models, and 87 the HO was used in the LSC only. The LoPo 5.0 was used in the 79-91 Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and towncar. It had a different firing order from the 5.0, E6 heads, different intake, and flat top pistons with no valve relief (due to this, a stock HO cam is the biggest you can safely use, IIRC) Swapping in the HO cam is easy enough and changes the firing order, so you just adjust the plug wires accordingly. Check your ECM, since it should have a LoPo one with that engine.
The firing order is the same as the Non H.O. 302 Windsor, starting with 1-5, I only verified the first two, since the only two firing orders used by windsors are the 351 variety, and the older 302 variety.

if you're right, and the largest cam I can run safely is the H.O. Cam, then the most reasonable thing to do for now would be to go the turbo route, which I really would prefer not to do.

The other option would be to start an engine build, get a reman or new block, and eventually put a decent set of heads on it, throw a nice mild cam in it, and then throw the trick flow intake on it, and just drop that in. That's personally my favorite option, minus the money part, as it means I have to get a cherry picker and an engine stand, and living in an apartment, that's kind of hard to do.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the LoPo motor got forged pistons either and the HO did.

What I would probably do is not worry about it too much and build the motor you really want on a stand and just swap the entire thing at some point. That's what I plan to do with my correct HO motor anyhow (Boss blocks are just too inexpensive to refuse).

...that theory also opens the door to an equally appealing Ranger 302 swap with my stock-ish HO motor.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Well, unfortunately if I did do a build the way I wanted to, it would be a turbo 408 with a Dart Iron Eagle, Trick Flow top end, and a Garrett Turbo (... and not just because I used to work for Honeywell (Honeywell owns Garrett))

As you can imagine, that's kind of an expensive build, and probably one that I'm going to do when I own a house and don't have to worry about spoiling the garage.

But, the Ford Racing X-302 Crate engine, for 3.5k? sheeeet, I can do that whenever and get free shipping/freight to boot (LMR is pretty sweet that way). Plus a 2 year warranty on 340bhp (probably overhyped, but still)?

No brainer, probably going to do that before the end of the year, probably before September TBH.

Though, on a separate note, do all convertibles have the wiring for the 6 speakers? or do 4 speaker conv's only have the wires running to the 4 speakers?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

For $3500 I'd skip the X-302 and just buy a Boss block and build it from there. The X-302 is just a regular 302 block just like what you have now. It's even a USED block (who knows what Ford calls "remanufactured"). In a 'vert I don't think I'd want to build like a 1500hp motor anyhow so the Boss block would probably be a good fit for your application.

As far as your speakers, I couldn't tell ya. It's SUPER easy to add the speaker wiring though. It's all fairly accessible. Watch the mounting depth of your door speakers though as the Fox doors are notoriously thin in that area due to the window track being right behind it.

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 06-26-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

For $3500 I'd skip the X-302 and just buy a Boss block and build it from there. The X-302 is just a regular 302 block just like what you have now. It's even a USED block (who knows what Ford calls "remanufactured"). In a 'vert I don't think I'd want to build like a 1500hp motor anyhow so the Boss block would probably be a good fit for your application.

As far as your speakers, I couldn't tell ya. It's SUPER easy to add the speaker wiring though. It's all fairly accessible. Watch the mounting depth of your door speakers though as the Fox doors are notoriously thin in that area due to the window track being right behind it.
Isn't the boss block like 4700 dollars? And I'd still have to price out a top end to put on it, right?

My last 'vert ran bottom 11's, so I wouldn't mind a mid-low 12 second fox, and I think 310-320whp would get me to that point, from what I've read.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

$4700!?!?!? No... $1740 at Summit right now... I've seen them down as low as $1400 before if you shop around/wait for a sale. Yes, it's an empty block so you have to load it.

If you only want 310hp I'm curious why you're looking for an aftermarket block anyhow. That's well within the reach of a normal factory 302 block.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

$4700!?!?!? No... $1740 at Summit right now... I've seen them down as low as $1400 before if you shop around/wait for a sale. Yes, it's an empty block so you have to load it.

If you only want 310hp I'm curious why you're looking for an aftermarket block anyhow. That's well within the reach of a normal factory 302 block.
Because I have no idea what car the engine that's in it came out of. It feels strong, but I have absolutely no way of knowing that it doesn't have 250k or more miles, could already be a reman block, there's really no way to tell at this point, since the engine bay is currently closer to a frankencar than it is to a stock mustang.

so, the biggest aspect of it, for me, is drivability, one of the reasons the X-302 looks so damn good, it's a mild street engine with a 2yr warranty. Warranty alone makes me want to pull the trigger.

Although, after listening to a couple z303 Cammed cars on youtube, I may have to rethink a few things.

I mean, to put it bluntly, it would be 100% dishonest of me to sell the car as is without disclosing that the engine is from an unknown vehicle, so dropping a crate in there would allow me to skirt past the issue altogether with any potential buyer, if anything it would probably actually add slightly to the value amongst enthusiasts.

Disclaimer: I'm not looking to sell the car, but you never know what life decides to throw at you, so I'd like to be prepared for any type of situation.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

The block is all the same if its a roller motor. Easy to find out. You were talking about Dart blocks and dual turbos so I'm kinda of confused. That's very different from a stock block 302. I understand the appeal of the crate motor.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Oddities