5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

timing chain install instructions

Old 06-29-2014, 01:00 PM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

just to run this by you guys,

so I'm trying to open this bolt and going counter clock right?

larger picture of the bolt,
this is the same bolt right? do I have to do anything before trying to turn it couter clock? like remove a pin or something that could be blocking it into place?

Last edited by robotnix; 06-29-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Nope, it's just a bolt.

And mjr is right on. Get a real impact and it will buzz right off of there. I've NEVER had a problem with a crank bolt using a professional level tool. A real impact should provide 500ft-lbs or more in reverse and have several hundred BPM.

Your local rental place may have a decent quality impact (not autozone, a real rental store) that you can rent for a day.

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 06-29-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:50 PM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

thank you maxwelhse,

you guys rock really.

I'm very pleased with the help you guys are willing to provide to total noobs like myself
one day I will be helping the noobs.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:41 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

That's exactly right. Having the ***** to tear into the rebuild is half the battle. It gets easier the more you do it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

An old school trick if you don't have an impact wrench is to use the torque from the starter. You should use a 6 point socket and a breaker bar with a long handle that won't rotate without hitting something solid, like a frame rail or the ground. Put the socket/BB on the bolt and rotate the handle clockwise until its up against the bottom of the frame rail. Next just tap on the key so the starter engages for a second. DO NOT start the car! Pull the plug wires to be safe. Now check to see if the bolt broke free and remove it the rest of the way with your ratchet.
In case you can't picture how this works - the engine will rotate clockwise pushing the bar in effect in the opposite direction relative to the bolt. That is instead of you holding the pulley in a static position and rotating the bolt with the socket, you are holding the bolt static with the socket and rotating the crank, or screwing off from the 'nut' side rather than the bolt side.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

That trick may work, but I wouldn't suggest it for a host of reasons.

Renting a good impact gun is like $15-30 and has almost no risk (if the bolt breaks off in the crank it was going to break off no matter what).

You could also do what I do and borrow one from a friend (for the time being). A couple of beers is usually good tool rental payment.

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 06-30-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

guys went to a store, bought a regular wrench with just 3 times longer handle and that did the job I then returned the tool well that and my muscle POWAAAA.

so next step now I have to wait for my pulley removal tool to get here which should be anytime this week ordered it from summitracing
Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You could have just rented it from autozone, and then got your money back when you were finished with it. I hope the one you ordered came with the installer also.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
You could have just rented it from autozone, and then got your money back when you were finished with it. I hope the one you ordered came with the installer also.
it does.
we have no autozone here but the place they rent the guy told me they only have a puller. so I told him about the installer and he had no clue so I bought one who knows maybe I'll help some poor bastard one day
Old 07-01-2014, 10:02 AM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

on another note I have my timing chain cover.
it does not look like the one I have on my car...

what's red I don't have them on my 92 GT manual. thoughts??

I think this is how mine looks like,

Last edited by robotnix; 07-01-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain install instructions