5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

timing chain install instructions

Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 PM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

Default timing chain install instructions

hi guys,

I'm trying to learn about timing chains and having a bit of a hard time can't find anything on youtube or google that actually explains the principle behind timing chains and how they work.

I want to learn because I have my waterpump and timing chain cover to change. so I told myself I might just also change the timing chain since all will be down anyway.

I know there is a proper way to install that thing.

I got the ford racing one and on the small gear there are numbers and on the large gear a dot so I want to be sure I undersand how this works to install it right.

thank you.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:22 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If you don't under stand the principles of a timing chain you should probly not attempt to install one yourself. Instead you should click here http://bit.ly/1qknPBI
Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

My friend do yourself a giant favor and get a hanes manual from the autoparts store.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 PM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

ok got the book... thanks.

now I'm trying to open up the crank pulley and all I'm doing is turning the engine.

did some readin gthey say to put it to 5th gear with handbrake (will I domage transmission)????

others say use impact... I may try this instead.

thoughts?

thanks.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:58 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Spray it with some penetrating oil and use an impact if you have one. If not, you should be able to put the car in gear and use a breaker bar and extension to loosen the nut. if your still having issues after trying both of these technics. Use a strap wrench and hold the pulley. Don't worry some times you have to use force to get things apart. That's a stout part. Nothing will break!

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 06-28-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:26 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Remember, righty=tighty. Lefty=loosey........
Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The crank pulley bolts are nothing compared to the balancer bolt in the center, wait till you try to crack that one loose.

For the 4 pulley bolts hit em with some penetrating lube and let em soak over night if ya have to. Impact should work fine on the pulley bolts, but I doubt youll get the balancer bolt loose with one, Ive had to use a breaker with a 3' pipe over the handle for more leverage to brake those loose. Last one I did , even the parking brake and transmission in gear wasnt enough to stop the engine from rotating, instead the hole car was moving. So I used a small length of chain with a hook on one end , bolted one end onto where the pulley bolts to then the other end I hooked onto someplace solid in order to keep the engine still, even with the 3' pipe on my breaker it took all I had to get it loose.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 AM
robotnix
1st Gear Member

I think I'll use this thread to build a document on how to get this job done for other noobs like me.

ok so got the pulley bolts off easy enough with penetrating lube took me 5 minutes for all 4.

but WOW the crank bolts... look I have physical force but OK I think I have to find another way than my small wrench and the right size socket lol

right now I just put some penetrating lube on it and I'll give it few hours and try again the same way see if goes anywhere.

Last edited by robotnix; 06-29-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Youll need a large breaker bar, and most likely a long helper pipe over to break it loose, and youll have to give it all you got. Penetrating lube wont help ya on the crank bolt, its sheer force for that one.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Impact should work fine on the pulley bolts, but I doubt youll get the balancer bolt loose with one,
then you need to go buy a real impact instead of using a vatozone great neck one...lol my mac impact never flinches on the 302 crank bolts and it's broken loose 100's over the years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain install instructions