5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Authenticating

Old 07-31-2014, 01:24 AM
barbarito

Default Authenticating

How can I confirm a late 80's car was an original GT car? Want to make sure they didn't slap on the GT package.

Did Ford stamp the engine block with the VIN? If they did, where can I find this to make sure it is the original block?

Did the GTs come with a sun roof stock? I will pass on the car if a hole has been chopped in the roof.

Lastly, how can I confirm the trans is original (T5)?

Tried to buy one of these years ago, but couldn't afford it. Now is different! I think I may have found my GT!!

Appreciate any help/advice.
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:44 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Silly question but late 80s GTs are never gonna be a collector car so why the concern with it being an original GT? I'd be more concerned with it just being a solid, working car! Here's a link to the Mustang GT registry. This should help with Vin. and door tag information. This should provide you with some info but as far as the sunroof I don't think there is any way of knowing it's original without a build sheet. Ford did offer factory stock sunroofs in foxbodies. I'm sure a quick google image search should have pictures of the factory sunroof. The T5 transmission will have a generic part number on it but I don't think it'll have a specific number to a certain car it was originally installed in. The door tag should have a number 2 on it for a stick shift car.

http://www.mustanggt.org/vin.htm

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 07-31-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 AM
barbarito

Thanks for the reply and the info!

I am a stickler about original and know very little about the Mustangs and just want to make sure of what I am getting. If it is molested I do not want the car, of course. Seller could almost tell me anything and I wouldn't know any better. The GT sticks are getting hard to find it seems. I nearly bought a black car like this in my late teens, but just couldn't afford it at the time. This car would be great if it is what I am hoping.

Waiting on the VIN now to see what that reveals.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 AM
barbarito

Where is that GT registry you mentioned?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:23 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by barbarito
Where is that GT registry you mentioned?

http://www.mustanggt.org
Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

gt stick cars are not rare nor hard to find....maybe where you are but they are nothing special and not worth much ........
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Selcouth

Hello, love me some 4 eyed mustang. I owned a 85 coupe for a bit. The block is stamped and the number can typically be found under the starter. You are probably going to have to remove the starter, I know I did on mine.

The build sheet of the car should be under the carpet, typically they are under the drivers seat or in the hatch area under the carpet as well. If this is a vehicle you are looking at buying you might have to talk the owner into letting you pull the seat to remove the carpet. Even then there is still no gurentee it will be there.

Another thing for you to do is pull the bucktag. It typically will be behind the driver headlamp and IIRC will be screwed in. The information should be stamped on that tag with options the car came with.

Here's a pic for refrence on the buck tag:

Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM
barbarito

Originally Posted by mjr46
gt stick cars are not rare nor hard to find....maybe where you are but they are nothing special and not worth much ........
Thanks for correcting me on this rarity factor. I usually-not always-run into an AT when I find one of these, but I know next to nothing about these cars and is why I am here. Seriously, thanks guys I thought it was a bit more rare...my bad.

I see the gauge cluster has been removed for aftermarket gauges. Wondering if the dash was cut out to make room for the gauges...? I know the guy will say no if I ask this.

VIN does show the E motor and GT. It looks to be in decent condition. Outside it has a broken tail light lens, poor paint and without any major damage to the body panels. Original wheels. Trans. is popping out of second, but runs great otherwise. Cannnot comment on interior or engine bay.

Thanks again guys I do appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM
barbarito

I totally dig the GTs. They were so fast. I was chewed up every time in my 86 TA (5.0) back in the day.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM
barbarito

Originally Posted by Selcouth
Hello, love me some 4 eyed mustang. I owned a 85 coupe for a bit. The block is stamped and the number can typically be found under the starter. You are probably going to have to remove the starter, I know I did on mine.

The build sheet of the car should be under the carpet, typically they are under the drivers seat or in the hatch area under the carpet as well. If this is a vehicle you are looking at buying you might have to talk the owner into letting you pull the seat to remove the carpet. Even then there is still no gurentee it will be there.

Another thing for you to do is pull the bucktag. It typically will be behind the driver headlamp and IIRC will be screwed in. The information should be stamped on that tag with options the car came with.

Here's a pic for refrence on the buck tag:

Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Hope that helps.
I totally dig the GTs of this vintage. They were so fast. I was chewed up every time in my 86 TA (5.0) back in the day.

Thanks for info!

Waiting for more pics of interior and engine bay now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Authenticating