5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Potentially purchasing 1993 Mustang Cobra

Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

It's been wrecked and needs a complete paint job. Lots of issues for that kind of coin, IMO.

If I had my heart set on a '93 Cobra, I'd probably wait for a cleaner one and pay a little more. (ya get what ya pay for, and pay for what ya get)

YMMV, good luck with whatever you do.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:19 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

We'll i do have a carfax. It was stolen in 93 from dealer for a day. It was in a crash in 2002 sustaining front driver side damage. It did some of it's life as a drag car with a big blower set up. Hence why the passenger side strut tower was cut and when the blower was removed, they welded a replacement piece of steel to it. It is a poor job. But with the sale comes an oem replacement inner apron and strut tower. Per carfax, it is a true 57,000 mile car. It does need a paint job as do most 21 year old vehicles. The drivetrain is new. The body needs redone. I'm more worried about drivetrain being new replaced and sound. The owner I am buying from has complete photos of the build. You guys don't think it is a sound purchase? That is the theme I am getting. Look at my profile and album. I uploaded some photos into it.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:21 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Vin is true for a cobra. He doesn't know number and does not have SVT certificate.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Regarding the paint, most Cobras were garage queens and weekend cars, so one needing complete paint is rare I think, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion this car has had a rough 21 years, *I* would probably steer clear of it. YMMV

I know from experience. Years ago, I bought what I thought to be a steal of a deal on an '87 Grand National. It had been my dream car for years, and I finally found one that I could afford. Well, there was a reason I could afford it. The thing was a freakin' basket case when I got it. It had a very rough life. ( I found out it was even used as a construction site car, why, I have no idea)

I was eventually able to square away most of the issues, and it turned into a mid 11 sec car, but only after a lot of time and a WHOLE lot of money.

Sounds like you have your heart set on it, go for it if you're up for the challenge. It sounds like an interesting project that's for sure!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:00 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Unless you can do all the work yourself, the amount of money you will spend to straighten out the problems it still has, on top of the cost to buy it, you could buy a clean one.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

We'll I bought it. Drove it an hour and change home. It drove great. Strong shifted well. Smooth handled bumps well very little rattling here and there. No vibrations. Didn't't pull while driving down highway. It drove like I expect a 21 year old car to. I mean maybe I got lucky? Maybe it is waiting to be catastrophic???? I hope not. But wouldn't an hour commute home have shown issues? I drove it all day. It grinded going in reverse then remembered reverse in the z spec transmission does not have syncros and I have been putting it in 5th gear first and all is well. Did I get lucky and get a good buy? Or do you think my luck is going to run out? It definitely was not a garage queen unfortunately. He did keep it in garage over winter but in summer he kept it covered out in front of his house. So it shows the natural age of sitting in the sun. It is now going to be garage kept and could certainly use a hell of a detail inside and outside/underneath. But zi let my family drive it and they were all grinning like idiots! As was I. Lol
Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Congrats!

New foxbody day is always a good day.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM
fast1

Is all still well?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fast1
Is all still well?
Thanks for checking!

Yes. It is great love it. It brings me back to my youth. And I shake when I drive it. I did notice a leak in my garage the other night but the wife has me so busy I haven't had a chance to get under and look. Honestly I am not even worried, it is 21 years old. I don't expect a perfect car. But thanks for checking. I am hoping to get my terminator rims on this thing soon. They are sitting in my garage.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:45 PM
fast1

Sweet! Glad you're happy with it.

Ya might have to sneak out when she's asleep to put the rims on. Wives and other female significant others only have to come first when they're awake, lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potentially purchasing 1993 Mustang Cobra