5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Supercharger fitting question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharger fitting question

Is it normal to cut the strut tower area to make room for a blower inlet tube?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I don't think its normal for any one to cut the strut tower for any reason. The blower tube is usually pretty close to the strut tower but should not have to cut in to it to make it fit.

I think that cutting into integral parts of the body is a big no no.
If something doesn't fit one way , find a different way to make it work , but never cut out a portion of the strut tower. Im sure there were other ways to work around hitting the tower with out cutting involved. This alone probly ruined any value that cobra had.
And I read your other post about this car, quite honestly for 11k I could find a much cleaner fox and do a good trick flow HCI that would make it much quicker than a cobra.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by leftyatm
Is it normal to cut the strut tower area to make room for a blower inlet tube?
very normal, if you have an anderson power pipe, had to do it to mine as well as multiple others.......you can tell who has done this job before by the post responses you'll get..lol
Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by dawson1112
I don't think its normal for any one to cut the strut tower for any reason. The blower tube is usually pretty close to the strut tower but should not have to cut in to it to make it fit.

I think that cutting into integral parts of the body is a big no no.
If something doesn't fit one way , find a different way to make it work , but never cut out a portion of the strut tower. Im sure there were other ways to work around hitting the tower with out cutting involved. This alone probly ruined any value that cobra had.
And I read your other post about this car, quite honestly for 11k I could find a much cleaner fox and do a good trick flow HCI that would make it much quicker than a cobra.
I don't think he's talking about the strut tower, but in front of it......and if you've ever put a centrifubal s/c on a fox and used an anderson power pipe, such the mod is necessary, or you'll never get the power pipe in , no such thing in this case of "find another way"
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I don't think he's talking about the strut tower, but in front of it......and if you've ever put a centrifubal s/c on a fox and used an anderson power pipe, such the mod is necessary, or you'll never get the power pipe in , no such thing in this case of "find another way"
No sir , if you look at his pictures of the car , the PO actually cut a large portion of the strut tower out on the engine side , I realize that a large pipe such as the power pipe may require you to open up the hole in the fender apron. They actually hacked out a large portion of the strut tower on the side facing the engine just under the castor/camber plate. Then attempted **** poor job of welding in a piece of metal to cover it.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...=gnr-img-album
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
No sir , if you look at his pictures of the car , the PO actually cut a large portion of the strut tower out on the engine side , I realize that a large pipe such as the power pipe may require you to open up the hole in the fender apron. They actually hacked out a large portion of the strut tower on the side facing the engine just under the castor/camber plate. Then attempted **** poor job of welding in a piece of metal to cover it.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...=gnr-img-album
I am sure Mike did not see that pic. But that is some real nice hack work there. I dont think I would even be driving that car around it needs a strut tower.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

So when I purchased the car. I ran a carfax. It had been in a crash in 2002 with driver side front end damage. Frame rails are straight. The ****ty weld job is on the passenger side strut tower. The guy I bought it from was a electrical engineer pretty smart and seemed like a decent guy. He told me that that area had been cut to make room for a blower set up from the previous owner. Do you think he is lying to me? That it was damage from a crash? But again the crash sustained was on the driver side....

Did I get ripped off? I have a new strut tower piece that was cut out of another 1993 that I can have welded in.

I plan to do it eventually but not anytime soon. This cut does not go all the way down to the frame rail just fyi.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Actually reading the carfax those morons. Now I am not sure. Reading it it says: "accident reporting left front impact with another motor vehicle left front primarily damaged.

**** so what does this mean. I swore I read driver side damage. Left and right can be open to interpretation. Is it left front sitting in side the car or is it left front staring at the front of the vehicle. If it was left front from staring at the front of the vehicle. Then that welded strut tower could have very well been damage sustained from the crash with an extremely poor repair job. Shiiiiit. Now I feel uneasy.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Listen, it is what it is,

Don't get upset, you already bought it so you must move on. Get the new strut tower put in and get on with things
Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Just did my research. Left side damage means driver side. And there is virtually no damage over there. Just that ****ty weld job on the passenger side! Haha still has me stumped. Overall the car is sound. Beautiful drives smooth and gets a lot of attnention.

Quick Reply: Supercharger fitting question