5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Just Bought My First GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88-347stroker
Clint that's the same one I have, works great weld mild steel ,stainless ,got it from lowes ,just have to have 20 amp circuit and it does great
Stainless with Flux core? That's new, unless you're just doing dissimilar material welds. Are the welds actually stainless? If they are send me the link to the wire, I could stand to do some stainless projects from time to time.

Carolina Man that looks like a good machine. I prefer Flux core for quick projects, plus when you run out of gas doing mig or tig on the weekend you can't get refills. That one can do a lot more than mine, but then again it's nearly twice what I paid. Take a few tech classes to get it down, or jump in feet first and be prepared to make some ugly welds until you get the methods down, just don't do anything structural until you can make a good bead. Or have you done welding before?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
Mig welder. IMHO you should install some ties while your welding.......
Sub Frame Connectors? Yes I plan to.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Stainless with Flux core? That's new, unless you're just doing dissimilar material welds. Are the welds actually stainless? If they are send me the link to the wire, I could stand to do some stainless projects from time to time.

Carolina Man that looks like a good machine. I prefer Flux core for quick projects, plus when you run out of gas doing mig or tig on the weekend you can't get refills. That one can do a lot more than mine, but then again it's nearly twice what I paid. Take a few tech classes to get it down, or jump in feet first and be prepared to make some ugly welds until you get the methods down, just don't do anything structural until you can make a good bead. Or have you done welding before?
I started learning TIG welding years ago in NC but had to stop due to health issues. Most likely I will pay someone for what little welding needs to be done, it is cheaper for me that way.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carolina Man
I started learning TIG welding years ago in NC but had to stop due to health issues. Most likely I will pay someone for what little welding needs to be done, it is cheaper for me that way.
The floor pan repair, torque boxes that ford neglected to add, and subframe connectors. Guess that's not too bad. I have a hard time paying for labor I could do, even if it takes me twice as long. Hell I'd align my car myself if I didn't want to spring the 1k on turn plates and alignment tools. Tire mounting not so much.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
The floor pan repair, torque boxes that ford neglected to add, and subframe connectors. Guess that's not too bad. I have a hard time paying for labor I could do, even if it takes me twice as long. Hell I'd align my car myself if I didn't want to spring the 1k on turn plates and alignment tools. Tire mounting not so much.
I wish I had the skills right now. Weird thing the Community College here doesn't offer welding classes for someone who just wants to learn. You have to take the whole course,which is almost 2 years.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 AM
88-347stroker
3rd Gear Member

Clint,here you go ,got it at Dillon supply
Attached Thumbnails Just Bought My First GT-wp_20140820_002.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88-347stroker
Clint,here you go ,got it at Dillon supply
Score thanks Dan! Now to find somewhere cheaper than Dillon supply.....
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 PM
88-347stroker
3rd Gear Member

Ya it was like $100 a roll but it works after you get the adjustment down
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks I didn't know that. Is that a easy fix?
I fixed mine by removing the seats and carpet, installing subframe connectors, and having the cracks welded back up. or you could just install all new floorpans since it looks like the car is mostly already apart.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:07 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

I remember the SVO very well first time I ever heard of a turbo on a factory car. I always loved mustangs my first one was a 72 Mach 1 wish I had kept it. Now the GT is my second and it's not going anywhere. I do have one question on a 84 GT were the rear axles 8.8?
No. they didn't come out with the 8.8 until the 86 models.

also, for a 5 lug conversion you would need the 87 up spindles and calipers. I actually have some in my apartment. trust me on this, the brakes on all 4 cylinder and 86 and older foxes suck so bad. If you have any questions about stuff like what is swappable just PM me.

Last edited by 84CopperGT; 08-20-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Just Bought My First GT