5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

((Pics)) Boosted 93 Cobra popping PCV out - need input!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 PM
liv4spd

Question ((Pics)) Boosted 93 Cobra popping PCV out - need input!

*Cross posting from another forum thread due to lack of responses*

Hey guys,

Looking for a little direction here..

A little background, the Cobra's got about 34k on it and been non-oped for the past 3 years due to 'life' - been looking at getting her back on the road. Motor has an older V2SQ set up w/ 6lb pulley, Anderson Power Pipe, and full exhaust. Most everything between the throttle body and headers is bone stock - total boost peaking about 9lbs.

Pretty clear my issue is to much crank case pressure due to the SC - only pops the grommet/PCV out (erupting oil all over her otherwise pristine firewall.. ), no problem with this happening outside of boost. Clearly need to relieve the pressure, but can't cap PCV and use the more common breathers due to ****ty CA emissions/visual inspection BS.

So, with the intent to relieve the pressure while maintaining a PCV system in place, I purchased some hose and tried to relieve the pressure by: T-ing the vent hose (feeding into the PCV/grommet) and running the 'vent-line' under the intake; inline too T-ing off of the bung on the oil feed (top of passenger side valve cover); continuing on to the Steeda oil separator kit, ending at the blue anodized bung to the back of the Anderson Power Pipe, post MAF. The intent, re-feed the air into the cycle while keeping it metered, a closed system.

Below is a birds-eye view of the engine bay, post work. You should be able to see the BLUE line popping out from underneath the front of the intake, and to the left of the MSD Distributor. From there, it T’s off to the Oil fill bung, and continues down under the SC to the Oil Catch on the fender wall. From there, it passes underneath the SC feed on to the back of the Power Pipe.

See pic:

Here’s my problem… it still blowing the PCV/grommet out blowing oil onto the firewall. With that being said, the RED circle is where I started the relief line… should it be where I have the GREEN star? Or, am I completely off base with this whole thing. Should I just be running a line from the Oil-feed/bung to the oil separator and leave everything alone behind the intake? I’m pretty sure I’m just over thinking this.. need a second opinion here

See pic:

Sorry for the long winded post.. but want this to be as clear as possible so you folks can give as informed an opinion as possible.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Im assuming your pcv valve is good. I think just tee-ing into that line wont help any as you still have the restriction of the pcv valve. Id try putting a line on the valve cover that dump back into the intake. My old motor had a big line that ran from the driver's VC to the TB where the hose from the oil fill neck hooked up. Granted this was on a N/A setup.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Yes I don't think the vent on the oil fill cap is enough. My 90 fox would blow the pcv out on the big end until I hooked up the vent line from just before the throttle blade to the oil fill cap and it was NA. A vent tube that goes from the oil fill to the air intake just before the throttle blade helps a lot especially when you go WOT. Ford did this factory because the pcv is not enough to keep up with the crank case pressure at high rpms. I cant really tell where your vent line is routed in the picture but it appears you have the nipple for it plugged on the tb.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 PM
liv4spd

Yep, PCV valve is good - bought a brand new one (even though the old one seemed fine) just in case.

In response to the idea of T'ing off the valve cover - it currently is plumbed into that bung, and is still popping off the PCV under boost.

Here is an amended pic that might help show how it's currently set up.

Explination: Starting at the Green star near the top of picture/intake is where I t'd into the vent line (pic in initial post); along down under the intake to the next green star (which indicates the second T-off point) to the valve cover bung; then out underneath the supercharger to the oil catch; through the oil catch and back into the intake path (post MAF).

BTW - you can click the pictures to download a non-compressed img for easier viewing.

So technically, I'm trying to relieve the pressure at two points, the main line in the back of the intake & the oil fill/cap bung. The throttle body bung is currently capped.

Hope this clarifies - thanks for the input!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

In the pic below, I blacked out where to eliminate and put red lines where to relocate those. I think that your pulling vacuum right past the vent instead of out of it.

The routing below should give you a better draw on it. I would try it that way once and see what happens.
Name:  GiJDqh_zpsa738cac8.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  108.1 KB
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'll be honest... I didn't read everything. But the way I would handle the situation is with a catch can. One side of the can connected to the blower inlet for a STRONG source of vacuum. Then the other side connected to either the pcv or the valve cover. Can't have boost going to the PCV though, which means disconnecting it from the upper intake manifold.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

You should remove the utter abortion of a make believe breather system you have created and do the following.

ADD a vent line with an additional oil separator, from the drivers valve cover, to the s/c inlet.
Run a vent line from the oil filler neck, with separator, to the s/c inlet
Hook your PCV valve back up as stock.
Replace PCV valve with one from a 3.8l super coupe
get a new PCV grommet.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

You should also clean/replace the filter under the PCV valve. I just did mine due to oil being blown out of the engine. Now, no more oil on the ground and the car (for some reason) starts immediately upon turning the key....

Most do not even know there is a screen filter under the PCV valve...