5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

carb swap just got cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

Default carb swap just got cancelled

I am selling the motor and trans because I don't have the time now that I got a new job to build a whole motor and swap it into the car along with changing wiring so instead I'm going to go ahead and keep the efi and make it the most bada$$ gt vert in my town and not to mention for a high school student to build with only his dad there to help built it

now with that being said what's the most I can do to build my stock 5.0 to make it a more powerful (thinking 330+) motor on a budget
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Buy this turbo kit.

http://www.sn95source.com/topic/4769...ics-turbo-kit/
Old 09-27-2014, 11:15 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

I have about 600 to start with and will make more to build it as I go
Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

If that's your budget for now, just throw some gears in the rear. It'll feel like you have 330 at the wheels.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:35 AM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

3.73's I'm guessing

or I was thinking of doing a cam and cai since it needs to be tuned anyways
Old 09-29-2014, 02:24 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Why would your car need to be tuned ? I know the SN computers are a little more finicky, so I've read. But a stock computer can adapt to quite a few mods before your out of it's parameters.

I'd get that car running right before anything, then gears first. Then decide on the which way to go for a mod list. Those gears will be a night and day difference in that car.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:36 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

Tuned because if there's no vac leaks then I know it's something in the computer because it's my luck but either way I plan to go and bore it this winter with the cam and other things cause I like to go big(ish)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:20 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Just MHO but 'budget' cars always seem to end being very slow.
Get the caqr running right first, then get the gears.....
Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 AM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

it's getting a full rebuild at this point in time as the transmission has quit going into gear at all and there is enough small vac leaks I found off of a line that went down into the fender I'm going to need to redo a lot of things and would probably be better off to rebuild the motor and cleaned up because I removed the valve covers (because I was having issues with a miss and it idled like it was cammed suddenly very bad) and found a minor crack in a few rocker arms and a motor mount was a bit loose so I'm rebuilding almost everything after finding that

I had an issue Monday and didn't get to look into it until last night and honestly I'm a bit pi$$ed because it started to have a very bad problem three miles from my house after it didn't go into gear until I revved it (I think the little burnout I did killed it) and when it went into gear I had a bad rocking motion and it was having a miss

Last edited by 95gtconvert; 10-01-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:56 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

I'm just going to put this here, a word to the wise. I don't think what you're doing is unwise, but I think it will end a lot differently than you think (at this point), and please let me know if I'm coming off as preachy.

When I was about your age (19), I bought a supercharged 'stang here in AZ. Stock block, stock everything really. Ended up building it with my dad's help, made around 560 at the wheels when all was said and done, and ran an 11.07 in the 1/4

It also took 2 years. I was lucky in that I was making a very good salary. Graduated early with my first degree (yes at that age), went to work for Intel, and was making a very decent living. It still took two years.

**** happens, *especially* at 19 years old. I think I'm finicky now, but I must have looked ridiculous back then. Even now I'm ashamed of even some of the antics I used to pull on these boards, so if anything, take it as a word to the wise.

Honestly, my Dad and I are best friends, and I really cherrish the HELL out of building that car with him. I don't get to spend nearly the time I did with him back then, and I miss it a ton, so if you're in that situation, I say take advantage of it. Spend time with your dad, because you won't get much chance to down the road, and you will regret it.

But aside from that, let the journey be your goal. Don't make a huge plan up front because, if you want to see God laugh, tell him you made plans (and that's coming from an Atheist/Agnostic). Take things as they go, and enjoy the process, and you'll have a much better time, and probably have a car at the end that you're proud of.

But be smart about it. Don't do mod's that you're going to have to un-do later on down the road. For instance, if you don't plan on going F/I, don't fear 4.10:1 gears (from what I've heard), but if you plan on going turbo, go with a set of 3.55's instead. Little things like that will make a huge difference down the line, and prevent you from spending unnecessary money.

Like some/I have said before, if you're going to do an engine build, you might want to wait to do top end work until you have the thing out of the car. Don't shy off buying the parts now, but why tear the thing apart 15 times when you could accumulate the parts and throw em on all at once (measure twice, cut once type of thing).

Anyway, that's my two cents. I really hope you enjoy it, because it's something you'll always remember.

Quick Reply: carb swap just got cancelled