5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1990 GT "High Current Fuel Pump Circuit"constant 12vdc

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Default 1990 GT "High Current Fuel Pump Circuit"constant 12vdc

I tried to search but couldn't find a thread about this.

I was trying to diagnose a code 96 and was checking the FP relay voltages and found a constant 12.65v on green/tan wire(high current circuit) has constant 12.65v with key off then drops to 12.4 with key on. Should be 0 with key off and should be Relay ground from PIN 22 at the ECM.

Searched here and all over google with no results. Not sure if PO rewired something or if something has shorted.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by JBeachstang11
I tried to search but couldn't find a thread about this.

I was trying to diagnose a code 96 and was checking the FP relay voltages and found a constant 12.65v on green/tan wire(high current circuit) has constant 12.65v with key off then drops to 12.4 with key on. Should be 0 with key off and should be Relay ground from PIN 22 at the ECM.

Searched here and all over google with no results. Not sure if PO rewired something or if something has shorted.
tan/gr is not a high current circuit, it is the ground side to the ecm for the relay coil windings and goes up to the eec self test connector as well as pin 22 for grounding pump relay to test pump......you sure you didn't use the dvom wrong to measure voltage drop?? of course 12.5/12.4 would be mega voltage drop...lol O/LB comes from fues link D to relay and PK/BK carries current to pump, these are the two high current circuits the other wire R/BK iirc goes to the inertia switch and is the power side for the relay coil..................ahh reread your post.........try using a test light vs a dvom on that circuit

Last edited by mjr46; 11-07-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
tan/gr is not a high current circuit, it is the ground side to the ecm for the relay coil windings and goes up to the eec self test connector as well as pin 22 for grounding pump relay to test pump......you sure you didn't use the dvom wrong to measure voltage drop?? of course 12.5/12.4 would be mega voltage drop...lol O/LB comes from fues link D to relay and PK/BK carries current to pump, these are the two high current circuits the other wire R/BK iirc goes to the inertia switch and is the power side for the relay coil..................ahh reread your post.........try using a test light vs a dvom on that circuit

Ok I'll try that as well. I post a pic too so you can see clearly. PO did add a section of wire to the end of the green/tan wire with a butt connector into the relay, weird..

Just doesn't make sense being a grounding wire to have voltage but my automotive electrical knowledge is scant other than the basics.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Ok I'll try that as well. I post a pic too so you can see clearly. PO did add a section of wire to the end of the green/tan wire with a butt connector into the relay, weird..

Just doesn't make sense being a grounding wire to have voltage but my automotive electrical knowledge is scant other than the basics.
if there are pecker tracks as you indicate, better trace and see where it goes, loop a dvom set to ohms from that wire to ecm pin 22 with harness connector obviously disconnected and check for continuity to make sure he has not routed wire elsewhere..lol
Old 11-07-2014, 10:49 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

if there are pecker tracks as you indicate, better trace and see where it goes, loop a dvom set to ohms from that wire to ecm pin 22 with harness connector obviously disconnected and check for continuity to make sure he has not routed wire elsewhere..lol
Absolutely, good point.

"Pecker tracks".. Haha love it..
Old 11-07-2014, 10:59 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

here read this and scroll down to code 96 testing = simple diagnosis
there are no better than joel5.0!!!
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,29871.0.html
Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

here read this and scroll down to code 96 testing = simple diagnosis
there are no better than joel5.0!!!
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,29871.0.html
Excellent, will be absorbing that all. Thanks again mjr46.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:27 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Excellent, will be absorbing that all. Thanks again mjr46.
yup.......hopefully, I'll have time this weekend to back probe my o2's, no time yet, hopefully sunday.....mine just sits in the garage, not a daily driver
Old 11-14-2014, 03:28 PM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

yup.......hopefully, I'll have time this weekend to back probe my o2's, no time yet, hopefully sunday.....mine just sits in the garage, not a daily driver
Well if you happen to take a trip to N Fla in a truck/suv sometime soon toss it in there and we'll talk turkey,

Meanwhile in stupidsville - I had to massage my 90 fender quite a bit to get that 95 cobra booster in there, I notched the wholes and everything. Finally got it. Try to get some pics up soon. Brake indicator switch was a pain until I removed the wire cover and bent the prongs. It was catching on that steering cross member under the dash.

Love to figure how to use the SN95 rear brake brackets instead of the North race car stuff. I know people cut them and flip them to the other side or something. Have to research more.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Well if you happen to take a trip to N Fla in a truck/suv sometime soon toss it in there and we'll talk turkey,

Meanwhile in stupidsville - I had to massage my 90 fender quite a bit to get that 95 cobra booster in there, I notched the wholes and everything. Finally got it. Try to get some pics up soon. Brake indicator switch was a pain until I removed the wire cover and bent the prongs. It was catching on that steering cross member under the dash.

Love to figure how to use the SN95 rear brake brackets instead of the North race car stuff. I know people cut them and flip them to the other side or something. Have to research more.
lol...used to go down once a year to Daytona for Bosch training classes, however they moved them back to Illinois..