5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New/Rebuilt Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 AM
lukehayter4

Default New/Rebuilt Transmission Question

I'm in the market for purchasing a new or rebuilt manual transmission for my 95 GT. I'm making power in the 375-400 range (at the flywheel). I just need to know where you guys would suggest I purchase one from? I'm looking into a T-5 or an equivalent TKO (500/600). But here's my predicament, I'm limited to around $1500 or less. Is there anyway I can afford a new transmission with my budget? Or would I probably have to get a rebuilt one? (I assume I will.) And if rebuilt is the route I should go, how much would I be looking at as far as a good one goes for? I'm not sure who I should be purchasing a rebuilt one from. I don't want a T-5 with Chinese parts.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what you want vs what you have to spend = used not new

or these:
http://www.astroperformance.com/prod...roducts_id/182

http://www.astroperformance.com/prod...roducts_id/180
Old 02-04-2015, 12:24 PM
lukehayter4

Well obviously anyone would "want" a new one. I figured rebuilt was about my only option. Mostly, I just wanted to know where everybody prefers to get theirs from. I just don't want to buy from some random dude on ebay. I want a "rebuilt," or "remanufactured," not a "used" trans. I've been down that road before, and it hurts. How many people have experience with astro performance?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Never heard of them but how bad could it be? You would be trusting a transmission shop to rebuild yours. And most of them would use cheap parts to maximize profit.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM
lukehayter4

Mine is most certainly not going to be rebuilt. Its the T5 out of a 97 v6 w/ electronic speedo, and its falling apart. I'm looking to just buy a decent rebuilt one.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by lukehayter4
Mine is most certainly not going to be rebuilt. Its the T5 out of a 97 v6 w/ electronic speedo, and its falling apart. I'm looking to just buy a decent rebuilt one.
I gave you a link now do some research on the "net" and you'll find out how good they are........there are only a few options and they are on the top.........if you haven't heard of them, you are not a hardcore enthusiest......and that's not meant to be a pot shot at you, I'm speaking in general of those who own mustangs
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
if you haven't heard of them, you are not a hardcore enthusiest......and that's not meant to be a pot shot at you, I'm speaking in general of those who own mustangs
Now your just getting carried away.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Now your just getting carried away.
just truth
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Astro WHO ??? Hmmm,....... sounds fishy.

OP, Astro = very good T5 with a great reputation. It's where I'm going when mine finally let's go.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:08 AM
lukehayter4

I have heard of them before, but I don't know anyone who's bought from them before. My second car I've ever owned was a mustang. I bought it just as soon as I got out of the army, and I've never owned a different car since. I've never bought a rebuilt transmission before, so I've got cold feet. You can't blame me for not wanting to spend that much cash on something I'm unsure of. I've done some research, and I get mixed reviews on them. Some people say they're garbage, and others say they're great. So I'm just looking for some reassurance. Now as far as not being an enthusiast just because you haven't heard of Astro? Now that seems a little extreme. I don't think they're exactly the 'Brett Favre' of transmission guys. I heard of D&D and G-force long before I had ever heard of Astro Performance. Can someone who has actually purchased and run a Astro transmission give me some feedback?

Quick Reply: New/Rebuilt Transmission Question