5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

2nd Mustang is in the garage

Old 05-06-2015, 07:38 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Default 2nd Mustang is in the garage

Picked up this 83 last night, 2 miles from home. I was answering an ad on Craigslist for Foxbody parts and when I showed up to see what he all had, he asked if I wanted a complete car. I said no thanks, I don't have the room for another project.
But he showed me the car anyway and I was blown away on the condition. I couldn't believe it, especially for being a Wisconsin car it's whole life. I left but couldn't stop thinking about it the whole next day. After work, ran home, grabbed the cash and jumped on it. Glad I did, even though I really don't have the time or room for now, I will eventually.

UPDATE: I HAD a 83 Mustang, the wife just called dibs.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 05-06-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Couple details:

Its a V6, auto on the floor, with a broken or disconnected cable. Hence the blocks behind the wheels. It ran 2 yrs ago and has been stored since. Doesn't run, or even turn over. But I'm thinking the broken shifter cable and not being in park or neutral may have something to do with that. We'll see when I get to dig into it.

Got it for $500 as is, and very happy I did.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Super clean. Congrats. Now all she needs is a big 351 stroker and a power glide.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:54 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

lol, PO has a complete 5.0 manual driveline from a 91 he's parting out right now. Stock but that's fine with me, everything to do the swap included, just waiting for his price to drop a little.

I can't make this faster than mine.......
Old 05-08-2015, 07:36 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

She's a driver....

It was the cable, the clip holding the cable to the tranny was gone and the cable was just sitting next to the linkage. Hooked it back up, cleaned up the starter solenoid connections, and WAMMO !!! She cranked for a bit to get the fresh gas up to the carb, but fired a couple times, then spitted, sputtered to life.

Once the mouse nest was blown out the exhaust, she was idling on her own. Slowly took it around the block and by the time I got back, it was running like a new car. And I never checked this before, it only has 87 k on it.

Brakes need a little attention, master cylinder, but it drove really nice,

Rear main had a decent leak at first, but she seems to be sealing up again.

Monday it gets registered and titled and insured, and she'll be back on the road.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:51 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Awesome. You gonna leave the v6/auto in it now?
Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yeah.................for now lol. My wife's a bit of a gearhead also. She'll get tired of the "all show - no go". But for now, it runs to good to just yank out. If that rear main doesn't seal up, it may happen sooner though.

Opinions needed....
What would you guys do for a motor swap. I can get a solid running EFI 302 out of a 91, with a T5 and the 8.8 with unknown gears for around $800.

Or stay carbed and keep it simple ?
Old 05-09-2015, 04:31 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Wow! Totally cool, man.

I'm digging it. A few years ago I actually considered trying to find a 4/6 cylinder foxbody for a daily driver. In good shape, finding one is as tough as trying to find a nice foxbody 5.0 it seems.

Congrats!
Old 05-09-2015, 04:35 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Opinions needed....
What would you guys do for a motor swap. ?
Since you're asking for opinions, I wouldn't mess with it.

Drive that SOB until you *have* to rip it apart.

My 2 cents and all that.......
Old 05-09-2015, 10:14 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Yeah.................for now lol. My wife's a bit of a gearhead also. She'll get tired of the "all show - no go". But for now, it runs to good to just yank out. If that rear main doesn't seal up, it may happen sooner though.

Opinions needed....
What would you guys do for a motor swap. I can get a solid running EFI 302 out of a 91, with a T5 and the 8.8 with unknown gears for around $800.

Or stay carbed and keep it simple ?
Don't kill me for mentioning this but I'd drop a GM 5.3 in it. I witnessed a stripped out fox run high nines low tens on a junk yard 5.3 motor and ebay turbo kit. Needless to say I was impressed. Those motors can be had at any bone yard for$300-500 dollars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd Mustang is in the garage