5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

"Death Trap" my new 84 GT build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:39 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default "Death Trap" my new 84 GT build thread

Just picked myself up a 84 GT with a 302 and t5 out of a 91 GT, PO converted it over to carb rather than mass air for whatever reason. Reason I call it death trap is because it feel like one, definitely needs new shocks all around and the PO has 245s in back and 225s in the front. Don't get me started on electrical....lights go out when you push in the clutch or go over a bump, figure it's just a ground somewhere that's loose. Also oil pressure gauge doesn't work and is pegged out, and temp gauge is pegged out while driving at slow speeds, measured the thermostat housing with a laser thermometer and I'm reading ~200 which isn't TOO bad, might switch it to a 180 thermostat to see if that helps. Oh and speedo doesn't work.
Edit: Also, someone forgot to tighten the distributor down so timing got thrown off while driving down the highway and had me sweating bullets trying to set it properly at night with traffic whizzing by

What size tires wont rub in the front??

Pics:

Last edited by 67LimeCoupe; 08-30-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:48 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Its an 84. All the things that typically need fixed on a poorly maintained 31 year old car.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:10 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I thought this was gonna be a street outlaws turbo build.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

So first question: The valve covers do not have an opening for a PCV valve, im guessing the PO left the 91 EFI valve covers on the engine when swapping, there is a hose with what seems to be an inline PCV connected to the nipple on the oil filler neck going into the air filter.

Im assuming I need to make a hole in the opposite side valve cover and add in a pcv valve that connects to the vaccum port at the base of carb?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:36 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Ordered a pair of valve covers that have holes and baffles on both sides, one will get a 90* pcv valve straight from the valve cover to the back of the carb, the other will just be a breather/oil filler cap.

Now to solve the mystery of the dimming lights, not sure what this chain things is supposed to do

also, what are the two wires coming off he brake pedal?

Last edited by 67LimeCoupe; 08-30-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:16 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Installed a 180* thermostat today, the one that was in there was a 195*, didn't get a great chance to see how it changes things but I guess I'll know on my way to work tomorrow

I filled the upper radiator hose with coolant before reinstalling to let the least amount of air get trapped inside.

I think I figured out my headlight issue, red wire near the clutch pedal bracket was frayed in two spots, probably from rubbing, didn't get a chance to drive it but with the car running and the lights on I didn't get any dimming when engaging the clutch.

Anyone have an aluminum driveshaft they want to part with?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

lol, good title for this thread.

Almost every used car I buy, I see these problems. PO's lack of knowledge or just laziness. Good luck

As for your questions, I'm running 245/45-17 tires up front on 9" wide rims. No rubbing. My car is lowered 1" now. It was lowered 2" and tires rubbed at full turn.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:26 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Nice looking 84!!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
lol, good title for this thread.

Almost every used car I buy, I see these problems. PO's lack of knowledge or just laziness. Good luck

As for your questions, I'm running 245/45-17 tires up front on 9" wide rims. No rubbing. My car is lowered 1" now. It was lowered 2" and tires rubbed at full turn.
I forgot to give an update on this, i checked tire clearance lock to lock while parked and no sign of rubbing, however there are bald spots on the inner side of the tire and marks on the frame (rad support?) where it was rubbing. My guess? I think the shot struts are making it rub when the spring compresses.

I definitely need front rotors, feels like a foot massage when hitting the brakes. Also has bad vibration at 2k+ in 5th, going to check the U joint today, otherwise ill get the wheels balanced when I get new front tires.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:12 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Here are the upgrades that the car has:
  • 302 out of a 91 gt
  • Pro5.0 short throw shift kit
  • BBK shorty headers with O/R H pipe
  • 3.31 gears in 8.8 rearend (well see about this)
  • upgraded clutch from Jegs
  • new water pump
  • new heater core
  • Performer RPM intake/holley carb
  • Cat delete

What it needs so far:
  • shocks/struts
  • front tires+balancing/alignment
  • seat foam is collapsed
  • AC doesnt work
  • needs a PCV valve, new covers on the way with a place for it
  • speedo cable needs fixing, PO gave me the inside cable? worth using thing or just getting a full cable?
  • needs to be timed properly
  • possible U-joint/driveshaft
  • A good cleaning on the inside
  • door lock cylinders
  • fast idle is bypassed, carb stays open at all times

Quick Reply: "Death Trap" my new 84 GT build thread