5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

"Death Trap" my new 84 GT build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:26 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Hope that new dizzy works out, sounds like your making some progress at least. Good luck
Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 AM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

The chain reminds me of an very early style of cruise control made by perfect circle. Question is does it have or did it have cruise. I'd think that an 84 would have cruise on it. If not that may be the remains of an old cruise control. The kits came with a switch that worked on brake pedal.....generally kit was for automatic equipped vehicles. BUT, you could modify to make work on manual trans cars. Only catch was you had to have something to disengage cruise with clutch pedal. This may be what that was for.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:08 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default "Death Trap" my new 84 GT build thread

Originally Posted by eb2gt
The chain reminds me of an very early style of cruise control made by perfect circle. Question is does it have or did it have cruise. I'd think that an 84 would have cruise on it. If not that may be the remains of an old cruise control. The kits came with a switch that worked on brake pedal.....generally kit was for automatic equipped vehicles. BUT, you could modify to make work on manual trans cars. Only catch was you had to have something to disengage cruise with clutch pedal. This may be what that was for.
Interesting theory, although I don't see a cruise control switch anywhere, haven't looked too closely so I'll look again when I'm back home on Tuesday.

Updates:
It's had an overheating issue, it will get past the H on the stock gauge while accelerating quickly or driving around town, it hasn't worried me too much as it drops very quickly once you get going on the highway or stop at a light, however I know it needs a coolant flush so I went ahead and ordered a 3 row aluminum radiator since it'll be drained anyway.

Valve covers and pcv stuff got delivered yesterday so I'll be putting those on when I get back, distributor should be here later this week and radiator next week.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 AM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Overheating problem has gotten a lot worse in the last 2 days, it used to just get hot right when getting off the highway or driving around the side streets too much, now it barely stays cool on the highway, I thought this engine had a normal mechanical fan with no clutch, I was wrong. It does have a clutch and its shot, fan spins freely by hand with the car off, no catching at any point, managed to get to work by propping the hood open with a giant socket and tying it down, redneck-y but it work to get me to the 6 miles to work, temp spiked to the H right when I pulled in, the whole trip it was at the M or A (stock gauge will be replaced with my next paycheck ) I called the Napa across the street from work and ordered a new fan clutch, it'll be here in 2 hours and I've been carrying a full socket and shorty wrench set with me everywhere so I'm gonna replace it in the parking lot. Hoping I don't have a blown head gasket from all the heat!! Coolant is dirty but evenly mixed...pretty sure oil would separate, dipstick looks fine too. I have my new valve covers so I'll check the oil in there too when they're off.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Update:

Installed new clutch fan during my lunch break, temp still pegs when clutch is pushed in...
Now I have a new (and should-have-thought-of-this-first) hypothesis:

Because the gauge pegs (not on H, all the way to the right) I am thinking that its an electrical short shorting the wire from the sending unit. This goes hand in hand with the other ground issues I have when engaging the clutch.

Also, am I wrong in assuming that I would have drivability issues if I indeed did have an overheating problem? Car runs good and has no trouble starting when hot.

New fan clutch definitely makes the fan noise more noticeable so it wouldn't be a total waste of $68
Old 09-08-2015, 07:42 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Got home today and decided to flush the radiator and see if it helps, I also picked up a cheapo electric Equus temp gauge.

First off, I didn't think the coolant was THAT dirty, when I replaced the thermostat it was still bright green in that area.

When I removed the lower radiator hose, pure brown sludge came out, the color of muddy water, overflow tank had a good inch of mud like sludge at the bottom. I flushed it out with a hose and did 3 passes of filling, bringing up to temp and draining, 3rd one came out a lot clearer and it was good enough, as im changing the radiator this weekend to a 3 row aluminum one and I'll remove the thermostat and flush the engine with a hose.

So far so good, new gauge reads 185 steadily in my short run around the neighborhood.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:41 PM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

sounds like some one added well water to your coolant before you had it.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:27 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by eb2gt
sounds like some one added well water to your coolant before you had it.
Definitely a possibility.

Got my new 3 row Aluminum radiator in as well as a carb rebuild kit to try and solve my terrible gas mileage issue (
Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

How terrible is terrible for gas mileage ? Does it have any driveability issues or seem to run good ?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 AM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
How terrible is terrible for gas mileage ? Does it have any driveability issues or seem to run good ?
My speedo and fuel gauge dont work so all I can do is guess, but id say 10 or less. It smells extremely rich and sometimes I have to put my foot down to start it when its hot. I am leaning toward a bad power valve or someone overjetted to try and make more power. No black exhaust tho which id expect if it was super rich. Seems to run good above 2k RPMs, below that it can be kinda jerky, I attributed this to my lack of vacuum advance at the moment.

Quick Reply: "Death Trap" my new 84 GT build thread