5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Chassis/Suspension Stiffening

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:29 AM
88TTOPFOX

Default Chassis/Suspension Stiffening

Alright, I own a 1988 Mustang T-Top Hatch with very minimal mods (FR lowering springs). Since I now have a garage with plenty of space, I will be opening the wallet this winter and finally begin modding my babied pony.

This winter I will be doing a 5-lug/disc conversion along with a focus on suspensions/chassis mods. I am quite tired of the stang feeling like a wet noodle when driving around town, along with the typical squeaks from rubber made in 1988.

With that being said, I will be picking up some J&M rear upper and lower control arms this weekend. Along with a front strut mount brace, rear strut mount brace, new quad shocks, sub-frame connectors and engine/trans mounts in the coming weeks. Outside of a roll cage, are there any other chassis mods I can do to make it strong enough to prevent twisting? Or would this be adequate until engine performance mods are added into the equation?

I have been doing most of my searching on AmericanMuscle, and it seems Steeda products and BBK products are the highest quality. Am i correct in that statement?

The last question I have is in regards to the front strut mount brace. I see there are some that also mount against the firewall to make a triangle brace, do these offer a substantial stability increase over the straight bar braces?

Thanks for all the help guys, and look forward to sharing my build with all of you!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Budget allowing, I would choose Steeda over BBK any day.

You have a pretty good list; I like where your head's at. What are your goals for the car? Will it be seeing track/strip duty, or just street driving?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:00 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 88TTOPFOX
Alright, I own a 1988 Mustang T-Top Hatch with very minimal mods (FR lowering springs). Since I now have a garage with plenty of space, I will be opening the wallet this winter and finally begin modding my babied pony.

This winter I will be doing a 5-lug/disc conversion along with a focus on suspensions/chassis mods. I am quite tired of the stang feeling like a wet noodle when driving around town, along with the typical squeaks from rubber made in 1988.

With that being said, I will be picking up some J&M rear upper and lower control arms this weekend. Along with a front strut mount brace, rear strut mount brace, new quad shocks, sub-frame connectors and engine/trans mounts in the coming weeks. Outside of a roll cage, are there any other chassis mods I can do to make it strong enough to prevent twisting? Or would this be adequate until engine performance mods are added into the equation?

I have been doing most of my searching on AmericanMuscle, and it seems Steeda products and BBK products are the highest quality. Am i correct in that statement?

The last question I have is in regards to the front strut mount brace. I see there are some that also mount against the firewall to make a triangle brace, do these offer a substantial stability increase over the straight bar braces?

Thanks for all the help guys, and look forward to sharing my build with all of you!

Hey Top - Welcome to MustangForums.

It sounds like you're definitely going down the right path here:
  • J&M rear upper and lower control arms
  • front strut mount brace
  • rear strut mount brace
  • new quad shocks
  • sub-frame connectors
  • engine/trans mount

The aforementioned mods paired with the springs are going to help immensely and I can attest to the fact that the "wet noodle" ride quality is going to diminish and it'll be fairly tight.

With these mods you're going to be essentially out of options and I'd have to ask how much power the cars going to be making or what you're aiming to do with it. The cage would be the end all be all.

In regards to the triangular brace I've always been firm on the fact that if there's more contact points it would alleviate flex considerably better. Here's a couple customer reviews on BBK's but like Urambo had said if there's room in the budget I would shoot for Steeda.

Name:  BBK%20TOWER%20BRACE_zpsnj86woa8.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  93.2 KB

Drop me a line if there's anything I can lend a hand with and check out our Restoration Section for odds and ends.

Alex
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 PM
88TTOPFOX

Awesome help guys

As for plans for the car, currently I want to make it safe and handle well. The engine is stock but may see minor bolt on's over the winter (CAI, cobra upper and lower manifold, headers back, remove p/s, a/c and smog). I just want the car to be durable and last for as long as I wish to keep it.

As for the future, I believe a 351 will come eventually, but for now engine performance will be at the end of my list of mods. Brakes, suspension, chasis, cooling will all come first.

The car is in really good shape, 0 rust and low miles. It will mostly be a street cruiser with maybe the occasional trip to the strip once I feel it necessary. I am somewhat hard on my cars, which is why I want the car stiff and sturdy.

Good to hear about Steeda, I always knew they produce high quality material and will put them at the top of my mental list. I think I will get the triangular brace for the added stability, do you think that will still work with the 351 if i do decide to go that route later on? I know the 351's are taller which may interfere with the front strut mount brace, hopefully it would clear...
Old 11-14-2015, 04:51 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

A good set of rear upper and lower control arms with poly bushings pretty much eliminates the need for quad shocks.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Save your money and skip the quad shocks. Plus, they'll just get in the way when you want to run a wider tire in the rear.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 11-16-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:45 PM
88TTOPFOX

Thanks guys. I will probably skip the quad shocks in that case. Is there anyone who sells new control arm bolts as the set I bought this weekend requires reuse of the old ones.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Is there something wrong with the old ones ? It is OK to reuse them.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

When I changed my control arms, the bolts holding the lower arm to the axle were by far the worst. After wrestling them out, I took them to a local Fastenal, where they matched up some new ones for me.

I don't remember the size or length, but they were metric and I made sure to get heavy-grade hardware.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Since nobody has mentioned it, have you looked at Maximum Motorsports.

Im running their full setup and my car is a brick going down the road. Once I put a cage in the car it is so stiff that it wont set properly on jack stands. The stands are made in china so they arent an exact size. Have to play with them to get them to set right.

MM has the best quality parts IMO, just be willing to spend some money but like with anything you get what you pay for. Id suggest calling them and talking to them as they will get you everything you'd need and may help you out on price depending on what you purchase.

Quick Reply: Chassis/Suspension Stiffening