5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Picked up a new notch!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:12 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Default Picked up a new notch!

Was down in Seaford DE visiting my uncle (I live 100+ miles away, and I was there doing some awfully rough plumbing work for one of his friends over the weekend), when I came across a deal that I just couldn't get my mind off of. I drove out to look at the car, and the only defect I could find was a minor bend in the rear decklid of the car. Another 24 hours of mindless thinking on whether or not I should have shelled out the money immediately, I couldn't waste anymore time, and 2k later.. This:

1990 LX Notchback Roller

No Engine, No Trans.

Here's the list of what was obtained (most of the suspension stuff is new in boxes and hasn't been installed yet)..

-Weld Wheels (Draglites) with good 275/60/R15 tires, skinnies on front but dry-rotted
-Stock Driveshaft
-Slotted Rotors with new Wheel Bearings and Ball Joints
-Eibach Lowering Springs
-BBK Upper/Lower Control Arms
-Strange Adjustable Front Shocks/Rear Struts
-BBK Sub Frame Connectors
-BBK Caster Camber Plates
-Near fully restored interior (new headliner, new carpet, new door panels, new center console, some billet stuff)
-TWO Corbeau CR1 Leather Racing Seats ($1251 on American Muscle)
-Cervini 4" Cowl
-New GT Front Bumper Cover
-Old LX Front Bumper Cover (needs to be heat treated)
-FULL 306 Engine Assembly (Minus Block) w/Cobra Upper/Lower, Two Cams (one is an E303 I think), GT40 Heads, etc
-Kooks Ceramic Longtubes (need some spot welds)
-Full 44 Series setup (shorty h pipe to tailpipes)
-8.8 with 4.10s

GT Bumper is just there as a mock-up.

I used to think Notchbacks were ugly as sin before I saw this one. I'm not sure what swayed me over to falling in love, but it was instant joy when the title was handed to me.

Didn't get any pictures of anything else as I was in too much shock from how beautiful the car was on the trailer . Next time I'm down there (should be making regular weekend trips), I'll try to take as many pictures as I can and keep this thread updated with progress!

Any ideas on what I should do in terms of an engine build? This would be my first ground-up engine build if I decide to take on the task (which I really am eager to try).

I have a current 1990 GT with a Forged Bottom End 306, New Spec Stage 3 Clutch, and Rebuilt WC T-5. Think I should just swap over to the newer (and much straighter/cleaner) chassis while I build something on the side?

Last edited by 90nSSMD; 04-15-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Nice score, I love coupes.

Gonna be some work, but you've got a nice foundation, congrats!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Looks like the making of a good race car. I have a 5.0 block loaded with a new trick flow cam and new oil pump I'll sell cheap when you need an engine. Im going to a dart 363. Also have a ton of performance parts if interested. PM me.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
Nice score, I love coupes.

Gonna be some work, but you've got a nice foundation, congrats!
Thanks! I now have two project cars lol. Although one is just a beat up daily for the time being. Minimal money just to keep her going while I save up for mods on the notch!

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Looks like the making of a good race car. I have a 5.0 block loaded with a new trick flow cam and new oil pump I'll sell cheap when you need an engine. Im going to a dart 363. Also have a ton of performance parts if interested. PM me.
How much is cheap?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90nSSMD
Thanks! I now have two project cars lol. Although one is just a beat up daily for the time being. Minimal money just to keep her going while I save up for mods on the notch!

How much is cheap?
$300 and I'd help you pull it out of the car if you provide a engine jack.[/
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
$300 and I'd help you pull it out of the car if you provide a engine jack.[/
I sent you a PM. Didn't see this until now.

That's definitely a do-able price. Keep in touch, will definitely let you know when we can work something out!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

No problem It'll take ford strokers a few months to get my motor done.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

nice project car good find !
Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Congrats, I wish my strut towers and frame rails looked like that lol.

And I felt the same way about my notch when I got it. I never cared for the look of them, but man they grow on you with the right stance.

Congratulations, good find.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9redfox3
nice project car good find !
Thanks! I know a lot of people who look for these cars can go through as many as 40+ different cars before they find the right one. The guy I got it from did just that, and when I looked over the car it was amazing that nobody had shelled out the money before me! I was METICULOUS when I looked it over. Originally when I saw the decklid I just noticed a quarter inch gap between the decklid and the weatherstrip. Thought it was a minor bend in the chassis or maybe a bad hinge. Looked behind the trunk liner and couldn't find anything so I looked at the lines of the trunk. Lo and behold, someone without much thought process put on the saleen wing and torqued down the bolts too much

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Congrats, I wish my strut towers and frame rails looked like that lol.

And I felt the same way about my notch when I got it. I never cared for the look of them, but man they grow on you with the right stance.

Congratulations, good find.

I take it your car has seen a good amount of track time then?

I'm already in the area of taking extra precautions with the frame and suspension/brakes before I decide to turn the car into a gangbuster. Strut tower brace, Shock tower brace, new sway bars and link kits, the sub frame connectors (which I plan to bolt in then weld), etc. I feel while it's off the road without anything in it, that now would be the best time to get the frame nice and tight.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on paint? I personally think black is too common, but still appealing (not to mention its hard for an amateur like me to detail).

I'm leaning towards going with something like Plum Crazy Purple. I think ford has the color code GN7 (I think?) which is a replica or very close to that. With a black undercoat the purple is very deep and rich.

Thoughts on engine mounts? Would stock solid mounts do me just fine, or is there an advantage to shelling out money for polyurethane?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked up a new notch!