5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Recommended Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Mustang_Newbie

Default Recommended Cold Air Intake

Looking to get a 1990 mustang, but I am looking to get a cold-air intake and I didn't know what a good starting place would be. I'm relatively new to the mustang scene. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:09 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Newbie
Looking to get a 1990 mustang, but I am looking to get a cold-air intake and I didn't know what a good starting place would be. I'm relatively new to the mustang scene. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Keep your stock intake. Worry about maintenance on your 26 year old vehicle. A cold air intake isn't going to gain you any power.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Mustang_Newbie

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Best thing to do is get a drop in k&n filter and take the silencer off front inside the fender. CAI's on these cars is more for looks than anything.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 AM
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

TBH, I would get it even though your car is stock. My car is also pretty much stock and I've swapped out the factory air box with a BBK fender-well intake and notice a difference in throttle response and very minimal power gain. The BBK one is a little expensive but it's one of the best and you can hear it working as you're accelerating. It's also a reusable filter so no worries about getting a replacement over time. If you're looking for a nice boost get 3.55 or 3.73 gears in the rear. The difference in acceleration is night and day. No power gain from that just so you know but the shorter gears make the car accelerate much quicker than the stock 2.73 gears.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Foureyed

I found a used speed density Mac fenderwell CAI on ebay for a killer deal, like new. It does make a difference, I can definitely hear the air being sucked in, and when those 3.73s kick in it pulls like a freight train..plus looks badass too.

Last edited by Foureyed; 02-03-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:12 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We have the BBK unit which has been very popular:

http://www.steeda.com/bbk-fox-body-m...take-035-1557/

This unit is rated an increases of up to 10-14 hp.

Great option!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 02-07-2016, 03:36 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraBlue91'
TBH, I would get it even though your car is stock. My car is also pretty much stock and I've swapped out the factory air box with a BBK fender-well intake and notice a difference in throttle response and very minimal power gain. .
No... you didn't
Old 02-07-2016, 06:37 PM
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

Sure, go ahead and try to speak for me. This forum isn't to cause tension and start arguments. I'm so glad there are guys like you on this forum to keep me reminded that people are going to bash you for your opinions no matter what. Have a nice day.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:24 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraBlue91'
Sure, go ahead and try to speak for me. This forum isn't to cause tension and start arguments. I'm so glad there are guys like you on this forum to keep me reminded that people are going to bash you for your opinions no matter what. Have a nice day.
the point of these forums, is to help spread ACCURATE information. You did not gain ANY power from installing a CAI on your otherwise stock engine. I tune for a living. I've ran everything from bone stock cars, to 1000+hp twin turbo strokers on the dyno... I can assure you You gained NONE of what you claim. It's all in your head. Your butt-dyno is excited. the only way you would have gained anything, is the weight loss from your wallet.

Quick Reply: Recommended Cold Air Intake