Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

GT Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

At a guess . . . most of the automatic GT's that are driven hard are only driven hard in straight lines and the automatics that aren't driven hard are bought more for the comfort/convenience/technology features than performance anyway.

The stick-shift cars are the ones more likely to see hard cornering time.

I'm not sure why the automatic Ecoboost gets a PP, unless it's a subtle way of encouraging people to get any Ecoboost.

Norm
Old 01-11-2015, 08:16 PM
kn7671

I think more realistically is that the 6R80 Automatic Transmission cannot perform adequately (cooling, shift speed, firmness, wear) as needed to while handling the GT's engine, while the 2.3L EB is not as demanding. Including the current 6R80 as an option with the Performance Pack would fire off a crap load of complaints and problems.

We will likely see the Automatic as an option in an GT PP car when they replace the 6R80.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:52 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

For those that want to race their GT on the track or on mountain roads a PP package probably makes sense, but for those who just want to put their foot into a GT getting on the freeway or in places it is safe to feel the power it may be a negative. Bigger brakes & a better set of shocks are always a benefit, but enjoying power in a straight line may not require a PP package. Some of us want the power, but don't want the ride that goes with racing a GT on the track. Believe it or not, some may even prefer a GT with an automatic, big brakes, & a set of Bilstein quality shocks as the best of both worlds. I don't need a Mustang that corners any better than a stock GT with a good set of shocks. I don't want to track the car, & racing through mountain curves is playing a losing game of Russian Roulete with your life & other innocent people's as well! TV shows like Top Gear get to close mountain highways to race super cars, but you & I don't! We'll run into some clown either stopped dead or on the wrong side of the highway while we are playing like a road racer like a spoiled nine year old! In the "Real World" you can't just restart the road racing game!

Last edited by Mr. D; 02-04-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Very happy with my PP
Old 02-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
For those that want to race their GT on the track or on mountain roads a PP package probably makes sense, but for those who just want to put their foot into a GT getting on the freeway or in places it is safe to feel the power it may be a negative. Bigger brakes & a better set of shocks are always a benefit, but enjoying power in a straight line may not require a PP package. Some of us want the power, but don't want the ride that goes with racing a GT on the track. Believe it or not, some may even prefer a GT with an automatic, big brakes, & a set of Bilstein quality shocks as the best of both worlds. I don't need a Mustang that corners any better than a stock GT with a good set of shocks. I don't want to track the car, & racing through mountain curves is playing a losing game of Russian Roulete with your life & other innocent people's as well! TV shows like Top Gear get to close mountain highways to race super cars, but you & I don't! We'll run into some clown either stopped dead or on the wrong side of the highway while we are playing like a road racer like a spoiled nine year old! In the "Real World" you can't just restart the road racing game!
You do realize that it is possible to appreciate the entire PP without using anywhere near its ultimate capabilities, just like it is possible to appreciate the 5.0 Coyote without using all 435 HP?

It bothers me that anybody might think that all PP-oriented enthusiasts are crazy like the crash-and-burn stage rallyists, or Pike's Peak hill climb entrants, or drive like the hoons in all the videos where they leave a Cars and Coffee lot or a traffic light and promptly crash into a tree/hydrant/utility pole/jersey barrier. Russian Roulette is just as easily (and more frequently) demonstrated by drivers in cars having more power and performance than their car control skill set can support.

Norm
Old 02-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You do realize that it is possible to appreciate the entire PP without using anywhere near its ultimate capabilities, just like it is possible to appreciate the 5.0 Coyote without using all 435 HP?

It bothers me that anybody might think that all PP-oriented enthusiasts are crazy like the crash-and-burn stage rallyists, or Pike's Peak hill climb entrants, or drive like the hoons in all the videos where they leave a Cars and Coffee lot or a traffic light and promptly crash into a tree/hydrant/utility pole/jersey barrier. Russian Roulette is just as easily (and more frequently) demonstrated by drivers in cars having more power and performance than their car control skill set can support.

Norm
I never assumed that! My point was that for many people like myself the PP package is not necessary. I find that the stock suspension handles better than my driving requires & in fact many might rather have the ride of stock suspension with a good, upgraded pair of shocks. I also don't want Sirius Radio, but I don't draw conclusions about those that want one. I will likely buy a standard GT, because I don't want many of the GT Premium add ons. I wish we could pick & choose each option as you could decades ago. I'd like to have the option of a supercharger right from Ford without getting the low production price tag of a GT 500.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but when you read the way this is worded without the benefit of having your thought process
racing through mountain curves is playing a losing game of Russian Roulete with your life & other innocent people's as well! TV shows like Top Gear get to close mountain highways to race super cars, but you & I don't! We'll run into some clown either stopped dead or on the wrong side of the highway while we are playing like a road racer like a spoiled nine year old!
it's pretty easy to think that you could have.

I also wish we could still opt for things on a line-item basis instead of having to get 'packages' that 80% of is stuff you wouldn't ever get, just to get the 20% you want. For me, the last time I was close to that arrangement was about this time of the year back in 1979. Checked off all the performance and heavy-duty boxes and none of the "features". But I did have to move up a trim level for some reason that I can no longer remember - might have been the bucket seats. Anyway . . .

Norm
Old 02-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but when you read the way this is worded without the benefit of having your thought process
it's pretty easy to think that you could have.

I also wish we could still opt for things on a line-item basis instead of having to get 'packages' that 80% of is stuff you wouldn't ever get, just to get the 20% you want. For me, the last time I was close to that arrangement was about this time of the year back in 1979. Checked off all the performance and heavy-duty boxes and none of the "features". But I did have to move up a trim level for some reason that I can no longer remember - might have been the bucket seats. Anyway . . .

Norm
Sorry if my post seemed like I was criticizing anyone that buys a PP Package! That would be totally against the way I think! I do not think they are "Hoons", whatever Hoons are! LOL! Not a compliment I assume! I don't think "anything" about "EVERYONE" that buys a PP Package! I thought that would have been obvious, but evidently not. People are very defensive about their cars I find. If someone said that putting a supercharger on a GT as I do on my Mustangs is unnecessary & requires that the driver be more careful in driving I would agree because it is unnecessary, & it does requires more care in driving, but I would not be personally offended!

My comment "which I hope I have a right to", was ONLY that the stock suspension is adequate for most drivers if they are not going to track their Mustangs or drive them really hard through curves as one would find in the mountains (which I commented is quite dangerous in the "real non TV world". Of course there are other advantages of having the PP Pack, & I wouldn't mind having individual pieces of it. I think the main reason I would not buy the PP Package is the change in the ride the PP suspension causes. I think the smart thing for most people would be to drive a GT with a PP Package, which will not be easy to do, & see if the additions of the PP Package are what they want in their car. I suspect a good set of upgraded shocks (Bilstein, etc.) would be a nice addition to the stock GT.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:23 AM
boomer46

Don't think Dr D meant any disrespect. I do agree w/his logic though about driving on mountain or 2 lane curvy roads & endangering lives. I remember once back in the late 60's, I was driving a young lady's 1968 440 Mag 375 HP engined Dodge Coronet to see her boyfriend up in Iowa from Wichita, KS. She was asleep most of the way (because she was 3 sheets to the wind when we left). It was close to 500 miles. I averaged 98 mph that trip on mostly KS turnpike & 4 lane highway MO roads. When I got to the Iowa farm country & the 2 laners, I scared the bejeezus out of myself when I came over a hill doing at least 60 mph & came upon a tractor hauling hay in a trailer doing about 5-10 mph. I had to literally stand on the brake pedal with both feet to keep from hitting that thing. The car stopped 2-3 feet from the trailer. After that, I had lots of respect for the old drummed brakes but really love disc brakes nowadays, esp Brembos. They say with age you get wiser....I must have aged 50 years on that trip after that breath taking incident & I was only 21. I was lucky. Thanks to some good brakes Dodge engineered on their muscle cars back then, it could have ended a lot worse then it did.

Last edited by boomer46; 02-21-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:59 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

It seems many people on forums see any difference in opinion from their own somehow as an attack on them, or others personally. All of us have individual opinions based on what we value, or what experience in life we have had. Unless an opinion is directed at us as a "clear" criticism directed at me I do not think I should not take it as personal attack. Life's too short for that! The make different flavors of ice cream for a reason!

My original point was simply giving a personal opinion that if many people add a top quality pair of shocks to the 2015 Mustang they may find it handles better than their driving needs require. If you are going to use a new Mustang on the "Track" or in some sort of competition the PP package would probably be a great idea. What evidently irritated Norm was my opinion that driving a Mustang to the limits a PP package would allow on a public mountain road is irresponsible. On programs like "Top Gear" I suspect that such driving is done on roads that have been closed to public traffic. boom46 recounts an experience much like I have had myself that made me realize the ever present danger to myself & others of pushing a performance car to the limit on public highways. I have always gone WOT with all my performance cars, BUT I make absolutely sure that in doing so no one can get hurt but myself. Luckily where I live there are desert roads & freeway onramps where I can open it up without endangering other people. I still maintain that opinion, BUT IN NO WAY WAS I CRITIZING ANYONE THAT CHOOSES TO BUY A PP PACKAGE. If Ford gave me one free, I'd happily take it & then delete what I didn't want such as the stiffer suspension.

My main point was expressing the opinion that most Mustang owners may not need to spend the substantial extra money for a PP Package based on how well a "stock" Mustang with an improved set of aftermarket shocks like Bilsteins will handle just as it is. I make no judgments about people that buy the PP Package. Everyone should buy what they want. The money I don't spend on the PP Package will be applied to a Roush Supercharger which also is not necessary, but a "hoon" like me loves "them" superchargers.

Quick Reply: GT Performance Package