Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

GT Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
What evidently irritated Norm was my opinion that driving a Mustang to the limits a PP package would allow on a public mountain road is irresponsible.
Almost there. It was your implication that anybody who does opt for the PP would be the sort of person who could be counted on to go out and race around on public mountain roads at any given time.

It would be very much the same thing for me to imply that all owners of cars with superchargers are irresponsible street racers (and likely so on a regular basis) just because a few are once in a while. If that makes my point a little clearer.

Just because somebody upgrades their suspension or only just the shocks to a level that supports driving beyond what theirs normally requires doesn't make such choices financially poor decisions. The better behavior that they bring also benefits emergency avoidance maneuvering, and just the shocks are likely to improve braking performance slightly. These aren't mods that only have a "racing" benefit.

Would you question the wisdom of a buyer who never intends to take his car to the drag strip for opting for 3.73's as a stand-alone option?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-21-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:16 AM
JochenHeiden
1st Gear Member

Hey everyone,

I've been contemplating getting the '15 GT with the performance package. I've read some reviews, seen some Youtube videos, but I want to hear it from normal people who drive this thing daily. My last Mustang was a 2010 GT Premium which I sold a couple years ago.

Obviously, the performance package comes with the 3.73 rear end gear, but my big concern with this is fuel economy while cruising on the freeway. Sure I want to be able to light up the car and go very fast, but this will also become my daily driver. I have a 15 mile freeway commute to work each way, every day, and I typically cruise at 65 with cruise control on. What sort of gas mileage can I realistically expect from this car with that rear end gear on prolonged freeway driving? I live in Southern California and I do a lot of freeway driving (not stop and go). I want this to be my dream car but I also want it to be affordable to drive normally.

If the performance package is going to destroy my gas mileage, what about a car without it, but with the optional 3.55 rear end? Definitely want to hear honest opinions about this from those who have them!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't let the mileage influence my decision on gear ratios. The differences are rather minor and you have 2 overdrive gears.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:19 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JochenHeiden
Hey everyone,

I've been contemplating getting the '15 GT with the performance package. I've read some reviews, seen some Youtube videos, but I want to hear it from normal people who drive this thing daily. My last Mustang was a 2010 GT Premium which I sold a couple years ago.

Obviously, the performance package comes with the 3.73 rear end gear, but my big concern with this is fuel economy while cruising on the freeway. Sure I want to be able to light up the car and go very fast, but this will also become my daily driver. I have a 15 mile freeway commute to work each way, every day, and I typically cruise at 65 with cruise control on. What sort of gas mileage can I realistically expect from this car with that rear end gear on prolonged freeway driving? I live in Southern California and I do a lot of freeway driving (not stop and go). I want this to be my dream car but I also want it to be affordable to drive normally.

If the performance package is going to destroy my gas mileage, what about a car without it, but with the optional 3.55 rear end? Definitely want to hear honest opinions about this from those who have them!
Here is a link to an Edmunds test, it shows RPM @ 70 MPH as 2100, so if you cruise at 65 MPH you would be at or under 2000 RPM, which should be ok gas mileage wise. Don't worry too much about the MPG they list as you must put about 5000 miles on the engine before MPG's level out.
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/...est-specs.html

Originally Posted by daytripper
I wouldn't let the mileage influence my decision on gear ratios. The differences are rather minor and you have 2 overdrive gears.
Yes your GT500 has two overdrives, but the 2015 GT just like 2011-2014 only have one, also shown on link page.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:26 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Here is a link to an Edmunds test, it shows RPM @ 70 MPH as 2100, so if you cruise at 65 MPH you would be at or under 2000 RPM, which should be ok gas mileage wise. Don't worry too much about the MPG they list as you must put about 5000 miles on the engine before MPG's level out.
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/...est-specs.html

Yes your GT500 has two overdrives, but the 2015 GT just like 2011-2014 only have one, also shown on link page.
OK, I didn't know that. I have a soon to be traded '12 Camaro that also has 2 overdrive gears. I still don't get worrying about a few tenths of a mpg on a performance car. Perhaps the op would be happier with something more mundane?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:31 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Or maybe the Ecoboost, would be a good choice.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daytripper
Perhaps the op would be happier with something more mundane?
Pehaps... but I bet he bought a mustang for the fun factor. But what's the harm in trying to maximize the performance of what he has? if I can do a little change like inflating my tires and get better gas mileage why would I not do that in any vehicle? any money saved on gas can go to parts or perhaps go to a financially wise spot like a savings account.
Just because we drive sports cars doesn't mean that we want to waste money on gas if we can avoid it...
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Like I've said the Performance Pkg is one of the neatest & cost efficient Pkg the Mustang has..

When you factor in the 3.73 gears, larger & better quality springs, struts, Brakes, Wheels, Sway Bars & any other parts, a MF'er couldn't afford to add each item separately ..

If I were to order a '16 'Stang it would be a Premium GT in Magnetic Color, w/ Red Custom Leather interior & have the Performance Pkg.

Only problem is I live in Midwest, so Summer tires is a problem !!!

IMHO the Perf. Pkg is as close to a Shelby or GT500 sans the Super charger as you can get!!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:00 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JochenHeiden
Hey everyone,

for the first 300 miles I have achieved 15.9 mpg just city, which is heavy traffic. have only been on the highway I would say 25 miles of that and at 70 I get 20.5 and at 85 it is like 19. once the fuel trims settle in and the PCM strategy I will most likely get maybe 1 mpg more could be a little higher than that on the highway. I have only used 93 octane fuel. I am also very aggressive when I can be so the traffic probably helps my numbers a bit.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM
regierrick

I bought the performance pack and would'nt trade it drove the premieum gt as a loaner while having the windows tinted. and really didn't like it plus I got mine for 34,600 after ttl. I love my car!

Quick Reply: GT Performance Package