Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

GT Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Almost there. It was your implication that anybody who does opt for the PP would be the sort of person who could be counted on to go out and race around on public mountain roads at any given time.

It would be very much the same thing for me to imply that all owners of cars with superchargers are irresponsible street racers (and likely so on a regular basis) just because a few are once in a while. If that makes my point a little clearer.

Just because somebody upgrades their suspension or only just the shocks to a level that supports driving beyond what theirs normally requires doesn't make such choices financially poor decisions. The better behavior that they bring also benefits emergency avoidance maneuvering, and just the shocks are likely to improve braking performance slightly. These aren't mods that only have a "racing" benefit.

Would you question the wisdom of a buyer who never intends to take his car to the drag strip for opting for 3.73's as a stand-alone option?

Norm
Norm, if you need me to be the bad guy, fine! I'm the bad guy! What else is new?

Common sense should have told you that a person that puts superchargers on Mustangs GT's as I do would not make the silly assumption you are "hanging around my neck"! My original point (AGAIN) was that a stock Mustang with an upgraded pair of shocks like Bilsteins handles better than most people will demand UNLESS they are driving on a track or closed course mountain highway! OF COURSE it is obvious there are other benefits to a PP Package! The only reason for the original post was to make the point that the average buyer might not need to spend the extra money of the PP Package to be happy with the handling of a 2015 Mustang. They handle pretty damn good stock!

Old 03-07-2015, 02:54 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

I would think that the 6-piston Brembo brakes would be worth the price of admission by themselves.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:57 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyB15GT
I would think that the 6-piston Brembo brakes would be worth the price of admission by themselves.

It is a unbeatable option wheels , tires, shocks, springs, BRAKES, AXLE RATIO, & more.

2 downsides Summer Performance tire don't work well in cold or bad weather. [I'm midwest]
& now only available with manual transmission, which wife can't & won't drive !

Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

It is a unbeatable option wheels , tires, shocks, springs, BRAKES, AXLE RATIO, & more.
I agree. I don't know how anyone interested in performance can pass this up!

2 downsides Summer Performance tire don't work well in cold or bad weather. [I'm midwest]
Being in Illinois myself, I looked at TireRack for winter tires and wheels. Nearly $4K! I think I'll just stay home. Being retired, I can do that.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyB15GT
Being in Illinois myself, I looked at TireRack for winter tires and wheels. Nearly $4K! I think I'll just stay home. Being retired, I can do that.
I don't know what rims and tires you are looking for, but for my 2014 I bought winter tires and rims and with install and lug nuts and TPMS and everything I spent about $13-1400. I spent $500 on the rims from American Muscle (it was a black friday sale) and the rest was on Blizzak WS-80 tires. Well worth the investment for the Utah, Colorado, and Oklahoma winter driving that I have done this year.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I can't even imagine the existence of a $4k wheel & tire package for winter driving. Not when a pretty serious summer performance setup with Michelins and Forgestars comes in at well under 3/4 of that.

Norm
Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 AM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

Well, that's what I found on TireRack several months ago for the Performance Package equipped GT. I think it was about $3700 for wheels and tire package. I just looked again and now they have nothing available so I'm not sure what the site showed me back then.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You do realize that it is possible to appreciate the entire PP without using anywhere near its ultimate capabilities, just like it is possible to appreciate the 5.0 Coyote without using all 435 HP?

It bothers me that anybody might think that all PP-oriented enthusiasts are crazy like the crash-and-burn stage rallyists, or Pike's Peak hill climb entrants, or drive like the hoons in all the videos where they leave a Cars and Coffee lot or a traffic light and promptly crash into a tree/hydrant/utility pole/jersey barrier. Russian Roulette is just as easily (and more frequently) demonstrated by drivers in cars having more power and performance than their car control skill set can support.

Norm

Norm, your point is exactly like mine. Just the PP improved braking is worth $1900 + Labor, figuring in $650 for 3.73 gears after install..
( all prices on parts from American Muscle who i deal with )
So just those 2 items are well beyond the $2495 PP on GT's
How ever the only way i'll be order a new new 2016 'Stang GT is if i can get the PP on the Automatic Convertible..

The Safety of Improved Braking & Handling is Priceless !!!!

Features

Pre-order - Shipping date to be determined
Improves braking performance
Original equipment on 2015 GT Performance Package
Six Piston Brembo Front Calipers
Single Piston Rear Calipers
Brembo Vented Brake Rotors: 15" front, 13.8" rear
Fits 2015 V6, EcoBoost and GT Mustangs

Description
Maximum Stopping Power. Stop on a dime and leave nine cent change by upgrading your 2015 S550 Pony's brakes to the same exact ones that were used as original equipment on the 2015 GT Performance Package. This Ford Racing GT Performance Package Brake Upgrade Kit includes massive 6-piston front calipers from the worldwide leader in braking systems, Brembo, so you can have the confidence you need to dive into the most challenging corners and still bring it to a controlled stop every time.

Legendary Brembo Performance. Brembo makes braking systems used by top race teams and auto manufacturers world over, including Ford Racing. So don't settle for anything less when you're upgrading your Mustang's brakes for improved stopping power.

Complete Kit. This bolt-on GT Performance Package Brake Upgrade Kit includes a pair of 6-piston black Brembo front calipers, a pair of single-piston black rear calipers, two 15" Brembo vented front rotors, two 13.8" Brembo vented rear rotors, front and rear brake pads, production DOT-approved brake lines, front tie-rod heat shields, rear axle caliper brackets and the required installation hardware.

Application. This Ford Racing 6-Piston Bake Upgrade Kit is designed for use on 2015 Mustangs, including the V6, EcoBoost and standard GT models. Requires the use of 19" or larger rims for proper clearance.
AM
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM
sethquadz

Another question. Can a 20" rim and tire fit on this package if I wanted to go with a more custom look?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OlPal
You make that sound like a bad thing...

Quick Reply: GT Performance Package