Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

GT Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=sethquadz;8479567]Another question. Can a 20" rim and tire fit on this package if I wanted to go with a more custom look?[/QUOTE

Yes it will. You just can't go smaller. Just make sure you get the overall tire circumference the same because if you don't then the gps, advance trac, and speedo will be affected.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:44 AM
bmatticus

So I am also debating the PP versus no PP myself. I have priced out the premium with PP and the 401A package, and its edging the top of what I'd want to pay for one really. I am looking at either going with a base GT with PP, maybe most of the other options, or the premium. I haven't really been able to find much information on the real world difference the 3.73 makes, obviously at the track it makes a difference. I don't have much of plan of going to the track, so I don't know if its worth putting the money into it.

Is the stock gearing going to make the GT noticeably slower in most normal situations (around town, highway acceleration, ETC)? It also looks like the overall fuel economy is pretty negligible maybe? Obviously purchasing a V8 and worrying about fuel economy is counter-intuitive, but how low you want to go is another question.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 AM
boomer46

Originally Posted by bmatticus
So I am also debating the PP versus no PP myself. I have priced out the premium with PP and the 401A package, and its edging the top of what I'd want to pay for one really. I am looking at either going with a base GT with PP, maybe most of the other options, or the premium. I haven't really been able to find much information on the real world difference the 3.73 makes, obviously at the track it makes a difference. I don't have much of plan of going to the track, so I don't know if its worth putting the money into it.

Is the stock gearing going to make the GT noticeably slower in most normal situations (around town, highway acceleration, ETC)? It also looks like the overall fuel economy is pretty negligible maybe? Obviously purchasing a V8 and worrying about fuel economy is counter-intuitive, but how low you want to go is another question.
I was on the fence as well. I ended up purchasing the pp & now don't regret it at all. I got the premium, the Shaker & the pp off the lot of a local dealer in race red. They gave me $3500 off the sticker, so was pretty well satisfied with that. The 3.73's do make you shift a lot, esp from a dead stop and you'll need to shift around 10 mph to 2nd, but after awhile of getting used to it, a lot of times, you can downshift to 2nd and if rolling even a wee bit, can start off from 2nd. The gas mileage, if you don't get on it all the time is pretty good. According to my economy gauge, I get around 17 mpg in the city alone, 19 combined and 24+ mpg on the highway if I keep it right at or below 2,000 rpm (65 mph) with some spirited passing, which ain't too shabby for 3.73 gears being turned by a 435 hp engine. Hell, my V6 Mazda truck only gets 21 mpg on the highway. The ride is a little stiff but hey, it's a sports car. I totally think the pp is worth it. The Brembo's and the larger radiator alone as a DD sitting in 98* city heat on a backed up highway are worth it. Not to mention the strut tower brace, heavier duty springs, Torsen rear end etc etc. I ended up putting a Borla S type catback exhaust on it & just purchased some black stripes for it. Going to have the stripes installed & windows tinted here shortly. Another thing I invested in was an oil separator. Saw the benefits of that 200 miles after I installed it. The Borla exhaust seemed to up the mileage a bit & the power. Think I might have gained 8-10 hp. Anyway, if I were you, I would also shoot for the premium. The sport mode alone is worth that. Of course, all IMHO. To put it mildly though...I love this car.

Last edited by boomer46; 05-05-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 AM
bmatticus

Originally Posted by boomer46
I was on the fence as well. I ended up purchasing the pp & now don't regret it at all. I got the premium, the Shaker & the pp off the lot of a local dealer in race red. They gave me $3500 off the sticker, so was pretty well satisfied with that. The 3.73's do make you shift a lot, esp from a dead stop and you'll need to shift around 10 mph to 2nd, but after awhile of getting used to it, a lot of times, you can downshift to 2nd and if rolling even a wee bit, can start off from 2nd. The gas mileage, if you don't get on it all the time is pretty good. According to my economy gauge, I get around 17 mpg in the city alone, 19 combined and 24+ mpg on the highway if I keep it right at or below 2,000 rpm (65 mph) with some spirited passing, which ain't too shabby for 3.73 gears being turned by a 435 hp engine. Hell, my V6 Mazda truck only gets 21 mpg on the highway. The ride is a little stiff but hey, it's a sports car. I totally think the pp is worth it. The Brembo's and the larger radiator alone as a DD sitting in 98* city heat on a backed up highway are worth it. Not to mention the strut tower brace, heavier duty springs, Torsen rear end etc etc. I ended up putting a Borla S type catback exhaust on it & just purchased some black stripes for it. Going to have the stripes installed & windows tinted here shortly. Another thing I invested in was an oil separator. Saw the benefits of that 200 miles after I installed it. The Borla exhaust seemed to up the mileage a bit & the power. Think I might have gained 8-10 hp. Anyway, if I were you, I would also shoot for the premium. The sport mode alone is worth that. Of course, all IMHO. To put it mildly though...I love this car.
Thanks for the great feedback! I am thinking the same. They have one here that is yellow with the PP and 401A. They are knocking about 3700 off sticker up front, which seems pretty good. I don't really care for the yellow and having to pay $500 more for it. I think I want a Black, Blue or the Magnetic. I have some time to mull it over still. Sounds like thats what I'll target though.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:32 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Add black stripes to that yellow...
Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 PM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

The engine and the PCM strategy are the same regardless of premium or not. Even the performance package is the same. I will say though that the drive modes for premium and the rear axle ratio of 3.73 for the performance package will make a difference in the performance.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

The engine and the PCM strategy are the same regardless of premium or not. Even the performance package is the same. I will say though that the drive modes for premium and the rear axle ratio of 3.73 for the performance package will make a difference in the performance.
I would agree with that statement. As I stated in another post, I think the more immediate throttle response in the Sport+ and Track modes makes the car more controllable, so to speak. I would think that the response plus the 3.73 gears would make a PP and the drive mode vehicle a bit quicker.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:14 AM
bmatticus

Another follow up question. How many of you all with PP plan on using it as a daily driver? Also, I expect the tires are soft compound, I'm curious what the expected tread life is on the stock tires? I'd guess the tires last 10-20k miles? I live in South Carolina so summer tires may not be terrible year around, but this would be my daily driver. I only drive about 7k miles a year though
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

i would also think that the aftermarket will eventually be able to access whatever goes into the 'peppier' modes at least for the throttle response part. Might be worth a phone call or two to see if that's in the works already at any of the well-known providers of tunes for the 2011 -2014 5.0's.

Norm
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Another follow up question. How many of you all with PP plan on using it as a daily driver? Also, I expect the tires are soft compound, I'm curious what the expected tread life is on the stock tires? I'd guess the tires last 10-20k miles? I live in South Carolina so summer tires may not be terrible year around, but this would be my daily driver. I only drive about 7k miles a year though
I wouldn't buy any car at all without expecting to use it on a daily basis. Whether that might be a PP-equipped car or a "regular" GT bought with the full intent to modify it beyond PP specs is irrelevant.

If you maintain your tire pressures and alignment to suit the way you drive, you ought to be able to get 10,000 miles per 100 treadwear. All bets are off if you do much drag racing/autocrossing/track days or any burnouts/drifting.

These days, any car I buy gets a second set of tires for use in whatever season the OE tires might not have been best suited to. Sometimes a third set for track time

Norm

Quick Reply: GT Performance Package