Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Automatics in GTs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Just from test driving a 2015 I got the impression the paddle shifters simply took practice to use when turning. They do allow both hands on the wheel. I don't think I personally will use them in tight turns because I don't push cars on mountain roads. It's playing Russian Roulette they way people drive today! Sooner or later you'll smack someone on the wrong side of the road or stopped to take a picture of a bunny!

I was getting on a downhill onramp to a freeway with my '61 fuelly Corvette & a woman slammed on her brakes right in front of me to look at my car & give me the thumbs up! Luckily I wasn't stomping on it & didn't rear end her! Always keep in mind there are idiots out there when you put your foot in it! I don't go WOT unless there is nobody around who can attack me with their car! Some people aim cars rather than drive them!

(Picture many, many years ago as I am 72 now! Yikes!)

That Vette is a beauty!

I drove a Camaro with the paddle shifters and I could see how that would take getting used to. LOL, I've used them in driving games but it's a whole different deal in the real world. Maybe I was just apprehensive. It's prob one of those things that would be fantastic once you get the hang of it. Many high end cars have them these days.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:47 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
I think that the clutch pedal effort is just right in my 04 GT.I was surprised how light the pedal was in a 2014,as if nothing is there.
This can be adjusted on the 14's by removing the clutch assist spring, I did it once to see what it felt like and it was a much stiffer feel, more sensitive as well, but the first inch or two is just slop... as in it won't come up all the way unless you pull on the pedal with your foot. This mod prevents the "clutch sticking" issues that some cars have, The clutch sticks in the down position on some shifts at high throttle shifting.
Because of the slop, and a trip to the dealer for other issues I put the spring back on and don't plan on taking it off again.
This might be an issue on the 15's since it is basically the same transmission and clutch from the previous few years.
Sorry for the thread hack, back to your regularly scheduled thread
Old 01-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Perhaps the real "fix" for the OE clutch assist spring is a softer spring rather than none at all.

The reason you probably won't see many cars with both paddles and buttons on the shifter is going to be about cost and the assumption that if you wanted the paddles you didn't want anything else.

After all, aren't we supposed to always want what's claimed to be "new and improved"? [/sarcasm]

I've been reaching for a shifter on the console for so long that trying to find a gearshifter anywhere else would require real, conscious thought. Never mind learning that where you reach for downshifting with paddles (and with which hand's fingers) is different than for upshifting.

Norm
Old 01-12-2015, 05:07 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Perhaps the real "fix" for the OE clutch assist spring is a softer spring rather than none at all.

After all, aren't we supposed to always want what's claimed to be "new and improved"? [/sarcasm]
Norm, if you make it I will test it for you! , I actually think they revised the spring design sometime before 2014, I'm guessing for the 2013 model year... I say this because the videos showing how to remove the spring had one with fewer but thicker coils compared to mine, also mine was red vs their black if I remember correctly. Not sure what the difference is though.

Back to the normal thread...
I have heard of the autos doing really well at drag strips, the manuals are better at road/autox courses imho, but I don't think you will have reliability issues with the auto if you decide to go that way.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
Norm, if you make it I will test it for you! , I actually think they revised the spring design sometime before 2014, I'm guessing for the 2013 model year... I say this because the videos showing how to remove the spring had one with fewer but thicker coils compared to mine, also mine was red vs their black if I remember correctly. Not sure what the difference is though.
Yours should be softer than the ones in the video. Still thinner wire and more coils sounds like the way to mod this thing from where you're at in order to get a better feeling pedal.

Norm
Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Yours should be softer than the ones in the video. Still thinner wire and more coils sounds like the way to mod this thing from where you're at in order to get a better feeling pedal.

Norm
Makes sense to me, I still get the pedal stick every once in a while, but I haven't seen it while racing so it isn't too big of deal.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think back in the day with the early diaphragm clutches people used to do various things to limit the travel so it couldn't go "over-center". Just a thought.

Norm