Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Cold air intake for 2015- opinions requested

Old 01-02-2015, 08:00 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
K&N filters are a waste of money.
How? A k&n is reusable and cost ~$50. A paper filter is ~$10 and should be replaced ~every 12k miles. It's financially smart to run at the very least a drop in k&n filter.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 AM
boomer46

Default JLT CAI

I talked to Brenspeed about the JLT CAI. They told me once they install the JLT CAI on a 2015 GT, the engine would have a hard time even idling without a tune. I would think if it needs a tune device hooked up to it to get it to run properly after changing out the stock intake to a JLT, there must be some kind of change & definitely a HP increase if more air is being sucked in. However, years ago, I do remember putting a K&N air cleaner on an 89 GMC 350cid truck & noticed no power increase whatsoever. Has anyone put one of the JLT's on their Stang?? If so, any noticeable HP increase?? Your thoughts anyone....anyone??
Old 01-03-2015, 12:29 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomer46
I talked to Brenspeed about the JLT CAI. They told me once they install the JLT CAI on a 2015 GT, the engine would have a hard time even idling without a tune. I would think if it needs a tune device hooked up to it to get it to run properly after changing out the stock intake to a JLT, there must be some kind of change & definitely a HP increase if more air is being sucked in. However, years ago, I do remember putting a K&N air cleaner on an 89 GMC 350cid truck & noticed no power increase whatsoever. Has anyone put one of the JLT's on their Stang?? If so, any noticeable HP increase?? Your thoughts anyone....anyone??
Sounds like nonsense to me. It's the same Coyote in the 2015 as it is the 2011 and up. Never hear of a tune being an absolute must to keep the car running correctly on the older model cars.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:36 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

This link is to a thread in this section, showing what Bama tune, and then JLT intake with Bama tune will do.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...ir-intake.html
Old 01-03-2015, 11:28 AM
boomer46

Default jlt tune

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Sounds like nonsense to me. It's the same Coyote in the 2015 as it is the 2011 and up. Never hear of a tune being an absolute must to keep the car running correctly on the older model cars.
Well, you can call them up for yourself, that's what the guy told me. I'm from Missouri, so I'd have to have someone "show me" that but don't know why the guy would lie about it. He said with the JLT, it would have a hard time idling & you couldn't drive it w/o the tune because there's a lot more air coming in than the OEM & it would fall on it's face. They have a tune device/CAI deal on their site as well. I've seen video's where the tune after a CAI was put on a dyno and the HP did increase but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't do something else to it on the sly. I have a hard time believing that as well but if JLT has a different system than others, who knows. Not trying to stir the pot, just reporting what they said.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Swann

Owner of a 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 and previously owned Camaro's and
had CAI installed - but from what I read no reason for one - other than looks!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

If you can hold out until spring we will offer a nice intake. Anybody telling you that you're going to see more than a handful of HP is pulling your leg. However more air going in over the stock setup never hurt anybody ! Plus it does look pretty sharp in the engine bay.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:34 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

I am in the save your money category. I have a '12 SS Camaro that I wasted about $400 on a CAI intake.While Taking off the oem I saw that I was removing an actual cold air intake and replacing it with one that really wasn't. A K&N filter would have been a good idea for $50.
I have a '13 GT500 that has an excellent intake stock.I did put in an Airaid filter.
I am going to buy a S-550 and will just put in a new filter.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Nonsense for a K&N Drop in to need a tune or for an aftermarket CAI to need a tune?

K&N I agree. It's just an element.

The CAI, it's a given, 05+ 4.6L and up as well all coyote motors require the tune unless you buy a tuneless CAI which is a waste of money.

Without a tune on most CAI's, the car will run lean and throw a code at the very least. At the very most you burn up your cats and can blow your motor from running too lean.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:07 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I've been wondering why these cars (using MAF air metering) need a tune. Does a CAI increase the airflow enough where the sensor goes out of range? Or just beyond what the PCM calibration is expecting?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold air intake for 2015- opinions requested