Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Cold air intake for 2015- opinions requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:49 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Has anyone seen INDEPENDENT TESTING comparing a 2015 GT with a stock intake & an after market CAI? Love to see a stock GT with an air filter like a K&N compared to a aftermarket CAI. INDEPENDENT TESTING, I SAY!
Old 05-10-2015, 06:03 AM
Vbedwar

Default CAI

[I bought the air raid kit and it makes a lot of difference to me. The kit comes with the block off caps for the sound tube also.U][/U]
Originally Posted by Tripleshot McC
So I put the K&N drop-in in the stock box and put the Airaid intake tube in for looks. Hopefully, I can still make it thru CA smog with it. Otherwise, I will have to put the stock tube back on in a few years. I like the setup the way it is. I was going to do the sound tube delete, but I can't reach the spot on the firewall where the tube goes in/the delete kit plug is supposed to go, so, it's still in there right now.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:25 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

There is more air flowing across the MAF..not into the engine..and that is why idle is off. The stock air box can pull in more air that the engine can pull in from the factory. Even with a boss, adding a CAI does nothing unless you get a bigger throttle body. Btw..the boss, with its air sucking manifold..still uses the same air box as a stock GT.

Originally Posted by boomer46
Well, you can call them up for yourself, that's what the guy told me. I'm from Missouri, so I'd have to have someone "show me" that but don't know why the guy would lie about it. He said with the JLT, it would have a hard time idling & you couldn't drive it w/o the tune because there's a lot more air coming in than the OEM & it would fall on it's face. They have a tune device/CAI deal on their site as well. I've seen video's where the tune after a CAI was put on a dyno and the HP did increase but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't do something else to it on the sly. I have a hard time believing that as well but if JLT has a different system than others, who knows. Not trying to stir the pot, just reporting what they said.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Well with the 2015 out a few months there is finally a few videos of dyno pulls with different cold air intakes on youtube. It seams like a CAI is worth about 10whp in the upper RPMs.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:40 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I like how the dyno'd the car tuned w/ stock airbox prior to installing the CAI. This eliminates all those "gain was in the tune" comments.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I like how the dyno'd the car tuned w/ stock airbox prior to installing the CAI. This eliminates all those "gain was in the tune" comments.
OK, but when do we see "INDEPENDENT TESTING"? Would you expect BAMA to report, "Our CAI's don't do chit, but please buy them! Cigarette manufacturers had test apon test showing that cigarettes are not addictive, nor are they related to lung cancer.

The Ford Rep. on Jay Leno's uTube video about the GT 350 said that CAI's have the most affect on older cars with very restrictive airboxes, etc,, but with newer Mustangs their testing showed little or no difference with an after market CAI! Frankly, I think a lot of people are impressed with the increased intake sound because it sounds like power under the hood. Obviously if they make any difference you would expect it to be a higher rpm & with increased air flow as with a supercharger.

Common sense should tell us not to rely on the manufacturer's testing. If not, I have a Toyota Sienna to sell for $50,000 that has 1500 H.P., if............. you trust my testing! Come on, do I have any reason to lie! LOL!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-20-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
OK, but when do we see "INDEPENDENT TESTING"? Would you expect BAMA to report, "Our CAI's don't do chit, but please buy them! Cigarette manufacturers had test apon test showing that cigarettes are not addictive, nor are they related to lung cancer.

The Ford Rep. on Jay Leno's uTube video about the GT 350 said that CAI's have the most affect on older cars with very restrictive airboxes, etc,, but with newer Mustangs their testing showed little or no difference with an after market CAI! Frankly, I think a lot of people are impressed with the increased intake sound because it sounds like power under the hood. Obviously if they make any difference you would expect it to be a higher rpm & with increased air flow as with a supercharger.

Common sense should tell us not to rely on the manufacturer's testing. If not, I have a Toyota Sienna to sell for $50,000 that has 1500 H.P., if............. you trust my testing! Come on, do I have any reason to lie! LOL!
This is INDEPENDANT TESTING American muscle tested a FORD mustang gt stock, then ran a tune only that would be compatible with the cai to eliminate any gain associated with the tune, then tested a JLT cai. How much more independant do you want?

Of course Ford is going to tell you there product is superior to aftermarket parts.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
This is INDEPENDANT TESTING American muscle tested a FORD mustang gt stock, then ran a tune only that would be compatible with the cai to eliminate any gain associated with the tune, then tested a JLT cai. How much more independant do you want?

Of course Ford is going to tell you there product is superior to aftermarket parts.
How is a test from a vendor selling the tested equip independent??

This is not complicated.

The Coyote can only take in so much air.

With the GT, the stock airbox can pull in way more air than the engine can handle. Adding a CAI cant make the engine fit more air into the manifold, lol. The vendors do not say more will enter the engine.. but, rather, say.. an aftermarked CAI will add more "charge".. meaning.. air that is backed up into the CAI (because the engine can only take in so much).. which theoretically allows that "charged" air to be available when needed. The theoretical is at the very end of the RPM range and basically means nothing.

With the Boss, Ford upgraded the manifold to take in more air (with other supporting mods). They left the airbox alone because it can already pull in more air than can go into the engine. Adding a CAI to a boss does nothing without also increasing the size of the throttle body.

If you think your GT can pull in more air than a Boss just by adding a CAI.. you are dreaming. If you want more air.. get a Boss manifold.. bigger throttle body.. and a tune that will up your RPM so that you can then actually use that extra air...

Put another way:

Grab 2 containers.. 1 is a 1 gallon... the other is a 5 gallon

both have the same size opening.. lets say.. 4 inches in diameter.

Now..

Fill them both with water.

Now..

Try to chug down that water as fast as you can.

What you are saying is that you will be able to drink the 5 gallons faster because it has more water.. without considering the bottle neck(s) in the system.... the size of the opening.. and how fast/much you can actually take in.

By all means,... get that CAI... but dont lie to yourself just to justify the price. Even if you got 10HP at 6500 RPMs.. that is a waist of money.

Its been shown many times the gain with this engine is more about full exhaust and custom tuning than the front end door.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

For the 2015, the cylinder heads have been changed with larger valves and a revised intake port that provide a more direct flow for high-rpm efficiency.

Ford also revised the cam specs (1mm more intake lift, 2mm additional exhaust lift) and added stiffer valve spring..then revised the piston design to take advantage of the new combustion chamber needed to accommodate the larger valves.

Also added charge motion control valves (CMCV) to the intake manifold. Like we saw with the Boss.. better breathing at high RPM can come at a cost (low torque)…so.. by adding CMCV, the airflow is partially closed off and can increase the charge rate to help boost low-rpm performance. They also manipulated the airflow with changes to the variable cam timing mechanism (increased range of adjustment via addition of mid-lock phasers on the intake side).

Ford has been trying to stuff more air into the engine from day one. After all that effort.. to think they could have just added a CAI from the internet.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
How is a test from a vendor selling the tested equip independent??

This is not complicated.

The Coyote can only take in so much air.

With the GT, the stock airbox can pull in way more air than the engine can handle. Adding a CAI cant make the engine fit more air into the manifold, lol. The vendors do not say more will enter the engine.. but, rather, say.. an aftermarked CAI will add more "charge".. meaning.. air that is backed up into the CAI (because the engine can only take in so much).. which theoretically allows that "charged" air to be available when needed. The theoretical is at the very end of the RPM range and basically means nothing.

With the Boss, Ford upgraded the manifold to take in more air (with other supporting mods). They left the airbox alone because it can already pull in more air than can go into the engine. Adding a CAI to a boss does nothing without also increasing the size of the throttle body.

If you think your GT can pull in more air than a Boss just by adding a CAI.. you are dreaming. If you want more air.. get a Boss manifold.. bigger throttle body.. and a tune that will up your RPM so that you can then actually use that extra air...

Nobody ever said anything about adding extra air into the engine. The video showed that adding the cai, the car gained 10 rwhp over a stock airbox that was already tuned. My guess is it works just like underdrive pullies. The dont add any actual power to the engine, however, they allow the engine to not expend as much hp trying to suck in air thru a small opening, therefore transfering more power to the rear wheels. where you actually see a hp gain.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake for 2015- opinions requested