Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Cold air intake for 2015- opinions requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:30 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I'm not going to try convince or sway anyones opinions but 35WHP for $700 (Tune & CAI) dollars is NOT a waste of money. It's a proven combo at the drag strip and coyote cars are running low 12s and picking up 3 MPH on the trap speed over stock. Ad in a set of drag radials and you'll hit high 11s at a track at sea level like Atco or Cecil no problem. That is all the proof in the world I need that the combination works. And when My 2015 comes in I'll be happy to run it stock and then bolt on a CAI on the same day to see if the Intake makes any difference. I already know the tune is huge!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

...But that is exactly what a CAI is for!!!

If the intake is restrictive (like in the 05-10 mustangs).. there is a point where the engine will need more air than can flow through the intake (in the upper RPMs). When the engine is pulling in more air than can go through the intake, it creates a vacuum in the intake.. the air gets thinner.. and creates a negative feedback.. limiting the amount of air to the point where the engine needs to adjust timing. No different than sucking a thin diameter straw.. if you suck hard enough, you create a vacuum and it will collapse.

Ford overbuilt the 2011+ intake.. to the point that it can take in more air than the engine can pull in.. even at the Boss' higher RPMs. This is why adding a CAI to a Boss does nothing.. you have to increase the throttle body because the bottleneck is not at the intake.. its at the point of contact with the intake and the engine.

With the 2015, Ford used some of the Boss' design to allow more efficient flow of air within the engine. They didn't change the airbox because it already meets (exceeds) the amount of flow that can enter the engine. To think that Ford would, with the boss, add a better manifold.. spend all that engineering money and time.. to allow more air in for higher RPMs.. but keep a stock intake that isn't adequate.. is a ridiculous statement. They kept the stock box for a reason.. because it already does the job.

Btw.. the engine doesn't use HP to pull in air.. it can lose it at the top of the RPM range if it doesn't have enough of it.. but it doesn't use RPM to get it..

You can believe what you want.. but there are facts and science behind all of this. What we do know is that a 2011-14 GT gets no benefit from a CAI.. none.. nada.. it can't happen without other mods (Boss intake and bigger throttle body). We also know the best bang for your buck on the 2011-14 is full exhaust/tune.

The 2015 engine is different.. and air is handled differently.. which is why it didn't get the power bump (especially torque) people expected (trade off for better breathing on the front end).. and we know it can take in more air like the boss.. but it can't take in more air than the Boss can.. and the stock airbox already meets the requirements event at 7000+ RPM.

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Nobody ever said anything about adding extra air into the engine. The video showed that adding the cai, the car gained 10 rwhp over a stock airbox that was already tuned. My guess is it works just like underdrive pullies. The dont add any actual power to the engine, however, they allow the engine to not expend as much hp trying to suck in air thru a small opening, therefore transfering more power to the rear wheels. where you actually see a hp gain.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Btw.. the engine doesn't use HP to pull in air..
yes it does, it's called "pumping loss" and is how engine braking works.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
yes it does, it's called "pumping loss" and is how engine braking works.
We are not talking about engine braking...or part throttle. You are talking about engine efficiency and heat dispersion, which is low at part throttle, best around 75%..then decreases again at full throttle. Ford increased efficiency by designing better flow in the 5.0..and the result is more power and better MPG than the 4.6...and part of that was overbuilding the intake so the more air efficient engine can do its job.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:06 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
We are not talking about engine braking...or part throttle. You are talking about engine efficiency and heat dispersion, which is low at part throttle, best around 75%..then decreases again at full throttle. Ford increased efficiency by designing better flow in the 5.0..and the result is more power and better MPG than the 4.6...and part of that was overbuilding the intake so the more air efficient engine can do its job.
You know this for sure or is this just what you have read on line. Because last time I checked, most of the crap on these cars is designed around emissions control not performance, otherwise they would come from the Ford maxed out on power getting 5-8 mpg.

Performance is no longer the number 1 priority with any car. Its third at best behind emissions and fuel mileage. Hell, it might even be fourth behind safety.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
You know this for sure or is this just what you have read on line. Because last time I checked, most of the crap on these cars is designed around emissions control not performance, otherwise they would come from the Ford maxed out on power getting 5-8 mpg.

Performance is no longer the number 1 priority with any car. Its third at best behind emissions and fuel mileage. Hell, it might even be fourth behind safety.
That's where the tune comes in...Regarding hardware..a more efficient engine is a cleaner, better MPG engine..and maximizing air is part of that equation. Restricting airflow is counter productive regarding efficiency
Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 PM
cduballstars

My opinion is that WITHOUT a tune to go with the CAI its a waste of money, unless you just want the deeper engine sound. I had a 2012 GT with a CAI no tune and the dyno showed a 3HP gain, will not add a CAI to my 15' GT. If the OP wants to see a gain he has to buy the tuner and a CAI, my only issue with this is that Ford doesnt like it when you alter their engine programs. Which in turn could cause issues with coverage of broken down parts.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

My opinion is that WITHOUT a tune to go with the CAI its a waste of money, unless you just want the deeper engine sound. I had a 2012 GT with a CAI no tune and the dyno showed a 3HP gain, will not add a CAI to my 15' GT. If the OP wants to see a gain he has to buy the tuner and a CAI, my only issue with this is that Ford doesnt like it when you alter their engine programs. Which in turn could cause issues with coverage of broken down parts.
Problem solved with the Steeda CAI w/ restrictor. You can run the CAI without a tune & then when you are ready ... you can run a tune without the restrictor:

Like I said, you get the best of both worlds!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...2015-555-3193/

The second run is with our cold air intake and included restrictor installed - put down 402.56 rwhp and 370.48 ft lbs tq which is a gain of 10.09 rwhp and 8.79 ft lbs tq over stock!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 06-18-2015, 02:26 PM
cduballstars

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Problem solved with the Steeda CAI w/ restrictor. You can run the CAI without a tune & then when you are ready ... you can run a tune without the restrictor:

Like I said, you get the best of both worlds!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...2015-555-3193/

The second run is with our cold air intake and included restrictor installed - put down 402.56 rwhp and 370.48 ft lbs tq which is a gain of 10.09 rwhp and 8.79 ft lbs tq over stock!

Best Regards,

TJ
15 second clip with no REVS? c'mon TJ!!!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:07 PM
buckethead2

So to sum up this thread so far a CAI is great for a power gain without a tune. Except when it isn't. And stock is better than after marke. Except when it isn't....

Quick Reply: Cold air intake for 2015- opinions requested