Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Axle-Back Exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Default Axle-Back Exhaust options?

Hey all, new to the forum, how's everyone doing? I have recently dealer ordered a 2015 GT, and few things could make me happier. It's an 11 year dream in the making, and it will be realized in about 6ish weeks. But that's not the point.

I feel the exhaust note is lacking when compared previous years, and as a result i'm looking to nab an axle-back system to provide me with the sound i want. I've looked at the roush system, and it sounds fantastic, IMO.

Here's the problem. I quite like factory warranty, and want to retain the ability to (relatively) easily return the car to stock, should the need arise. The aforementioned system requires cutting of the OEM pipe in order to mount it, and if i can avoid it, i'd really rather not make a permanent modification like that. Do "kits" exist that serve to make the two systems more interchangeable? Or am I out of luck here?

Any info helps.

Thanks, all!

-J
Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, and yes there is at least one bolt on cat-back exhaust, I like the one made by StainlessWorks, somewhere in the 2015 section they have a thread for it with links to sound clips.
Good luck.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kawiguy827
Hey all, new to the forum, how's everyone doing? I have recently dealer ordered a 2015 GT, and few things could make me happier. It's an 11 year dream in the making, and it will be realized in about 6ish weeks. But that's not the point.

I feel the exhaust note is lacking when compared previous years, and as a result i'm looking to nab an axle-back system to provide me with the sound i want. I've looked at the roush system, and it sounds fantastic, IMO.

Here's the problem. I quite like factory warranty, and want to retain the ability to (relatively) easily return the car to stock, should the need arise. The aforementioned system requires cutting of the OEM pipe in order to mount it, and if i can avoid it, i'd really rather not make a permanent modification like that. Do "kits" exist that serve to make the two systems more interchangeable? Or am I out of luck here?

Any info helps.

Thanks, all!

-J
Hey Kawi,

Congrats on the purchase!

I'm sure these will be the longest 6 weeks of your life .

Great question about exhaust and you are correct, all the axle backs for the 2015 do require cutting.

Luckily, the cat-backs do not. I am a huge fan of the Magnaflow Competition Catback Exhaust myself and it is a direct bolt in design.

Check out the videos on the product page, they go into better detail about the system!

Hope this helps and congrats again!

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Will

Last edited by AMWill; 01-29-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Any info helps.

Thanks, all!

-J
Ask your local Dealer's Service Manager if it would be a problem. An earlier Service Manager was a jerk at my dealership, but a newer manager takes the attitude that is followed by courts. That is, Ford has the burden to prove you have damaged the car before they can refuse to honor your warrantee. Some Service Managers aren't jerks & won't give you a problem unless you ARE abusing the car & the warranty.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:36 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

There are plenty of cat back systems out there available from a variety of forum vendors. All are expensive compared to axle back systems but they provide what you are looking for. I have a 2015 GT 5.0 and I went with the Magnaflow competition series at first but found that it was very loud under acceleration which I initially liked. Cruising was a little more annoying for my wife so I switched to the street version and found it perfect, barks when you want it and reasonable while cruising. The stock system comes off in one piece so you could save it and re-install it later if you wanted. The Ford Racing version is made by Borla and installs much the same way. Either system is great.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Any info helps.

Thanks, all!

-J
I can't think of a situation where installing axle-backs would cause warranty problems. but if you want to be able to return it to stock, then as has been said a cat-back is the (unfortunately more expensive) way to go.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 PM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

If for some reason you wanted to take off your axle back exhaust and reinstall the oem a simple coupling would do the job.
I am looking at Flowmaster Outlaw from Amer. Muscle.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:45 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daytripper
If for some reason you wanted to take off your axle back exhaust and reinstall the oem a simple coupling would do the job.
I am looking at Flowmaster Outlaw from Amer. Muscle.
I can recommend the flowmaster American Thunder kit; which is similar to what I have on my 2012. they've got a really nice, deep tone. The Outlaws were too obnoxiously "brash" for my tastes.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Shouldn't worry about warranty, no exhaust system except maybe a bad set of headers would ever cause any concern for a loss of warranty. There's been a few exhaust systems out there that are getting a lot of attention, it's best that you sort through a few options on youtube to really determine which may be the best for you. Ultimately the sound is what you should concern yourself with since you will be hearing this system every day on your Mustang!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Explosive

Axle back should have no effect on warranty

Quick Reply: Axle-Back Exhaust options?