Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Break in period

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Redeemer

Default Break in period

Just curious how many miles you guys put on before really getting on it. Mine has 60 miles now and I so very badly wanna unleash its potential. I got the RPM's around 5k a few times, simply being unable to help myself. Now I am feeling like I've been bad and need to stand in a corner.

So, 300 - 1000 miles. What are everyone's thoughts? Any particular driving exercises to make the process more effective? I've owned many cars, but this is my first brand new one.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Redeemer
Just curious how many miles you guys put on before really getting on it. Mine has 60 miles now and I so very badly wanna unleash its potential. I got the RPM's around 5k a few times, simply being unable to help myself. Now I am feeling like I've been bad and need to stand in a corner.

So, 300 - 1000 miles. What are everyone's thoughts? Any particular driving exercises to make the process more effective? I've owned many cars, but this is my first brand new one.
Hey Redeemer,

The break in period is from the moment the car comes off the trailer, to the time I get the keys in my hand

Just kidding, I bought my 2014 Track Pack brand new and I allowed a 1000 miles break in period with 500 of those miles being babied and the last 500 miles being "spirited" driving but not spinning the motor past about 5500 RPM.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Congratulations on your new S550!

-Will
Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I think you are safe! New cars are not as delicate as they used to be as far as break in. My thought is to let an engine warm up first, and then go WOT for only short bursts for first 1000 miles or so. Keep engine parts temperature down until parts all break in. I change & filter after 1000 miles which is probably unnecessary, but it makes me feel better. I believe in synthetic oils for the extra temperature they can take before they break down. Enjoy & drive safely! Enjoy the power only where it is safe to do so without risking lives. As I remember, that is hard to do when you are young! I had a couple of close calls before I got smart! Yikes!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 PM
JimC

Break in period? I picked my 2013 up on Wednesday and had it at the drag strip for some base line passes on Saturday morning!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 AM
boomer46

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I think you are safe! New cars are not as delicate as they used to be as far as break in. My thought is to let an engine warm up first, and then go WOT for only short bursts for first 1000 miles or so. Keep engine parts temperature down until parts all break in. I change & filter after 1000 miles which is probably unnecessary, but it makes me feel better. I believe in synthetic oils for the extra temperature they can take before they break down. Enjoy & drive safely! Enjoy the power only where it is safe to do so without risking lives. As I remember, that is hard to do when you are young! I had a couple of close calls before I got smart! Yikes!
Mr D: I went to ITT's Auto Diesel school back in the early 70's in St Louis. It was a 1 year tech school, with 5 hrs of classroom & hands on shop instruction 5 nights a week. I went there after I worked an 8 hr day. I was really glad to graduate. I don't think engines have changed that much altho we did have push rods, 1 cam & 2 valves per cylinder. Granted, this one has 4 valves per cylinder & 4 camshafts (no push rods) so correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt cylinders & pistons have changed that much as far as break in. I don't see anything wrong w/changing the oil & filter after 1000 miles. During our classroom discussions we were told lots of little metal filings can get in the oil on a new engine during the break in period. I remember buying an oil drain bolt/plug that was magnetic to pickup any filings that may come loose during the break in. I put one of these on my new 1974 Malibu 350 when I changed the oil after around 700 miles or so & installed the magnetic drain bolt/plug. There were still some tiny fine little filings attached to it when I changed the oil at 2000 miles. Back then I was changing every 2000 miles. I'll probably change my oil at 1000 miles as well once I get my 2015 unless it voids a warranty or Ford tells me not to do it. Another good point you made that was made in school as well...Warming up the vehicle, esp in cold temps will also extend the life of an engine. Starting an engine when it's cold out & stepping on the gas & putting a load on the cold engine immediately thereafter doesn't do it any good whatsoever. Synthetic oils are great nowadays, of course ALL IMHO. Dennis
Old 02-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Red face

I figure around 1000 miles for break in..
In over ten years,I don't think that the tach in my 04 GT has ever hit 5k.
Rarely about 3k in fact.A handful of times to 4k.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
I figure around 1000 miles for break in..
In over ten years,I don't think that the tach in my 04 GT has ever hit 5k.
Rarely about 3k in fact.A handful of times to 4k.
Why'd you get a GT then?! Lol
Old 02-13-2015, 01:35 PM
TheZman
1st Gear Member

I baby my new cars for the first 1000 miles varying speeds 60 and under and keep the rpms under 3k then right before the oil change i get on it a little bit more aggressive for about 100 miles give or take and then change the oil at about 1,150 miles.. Getting a little more aggressive right before the oil change i feel breaks it in a little better in the slightly higher rpms just to be sure to get those shavings out too..lol.. if it does or not idk its just my little system!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty
Why'd you get a GT then?! Lol
I learned as a youth that one way or another,speed will get you in trouble.
I'm a geezer now-I enjoy the torque,the sound,the handling,the convertible roof.I'm usually in third by 20 mph. LOL The only time that I'm inclined to wind it out,is when I hit a major highway entrance ramp.I've done enough mechanical work in my life,not looking to create more,and I reckon that I could easily get another ten years out of my old GT,...but I think that I'll be in a 2015 GT soon enough. ;-P
I guess that I'm the complete opposite of the guys on "Street outlaws".
Old 02-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
I learned as a youth that one way or another,speed will get you in trouble.
I'm a geezer now-I enjoy the torque,the sound,the handling,the convertible roof.I'm usually in third by 20 mph. LOL The only time that I'm inclined to wind it out,is when I hit a major highway entrance ramp.I've done enough mechanical work in my life,not looking to create more,and I reckon that I could easily get another ten years out of my old GT,...but I think that I'll be in a 2015 GT soon enough. ;-P
I guess that I'm the complete opposite of the guys on "Street outlaws".
Haha nice, well all the power to ya! [pun intended]

Quick Reply: Break in period