Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Break in period

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Arless

Thumbs up 2015 GT mustang break in period

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
C-mon Camster, I'm an old guy too, but 3rd gear at 20mph, my God,but anyway back to the OP, I'm with Will
I'm 61 years old and my new 2015 GT has 263 miles on it and I drive the hell out of it/ These new engines are broke in from the factory and most come with synthetic motor oil from the factory.

Todays tight tolerances in the engines need no break in period. The tires need 300 miles to break in though, That is the only thing Ford say's need's to be broken in. 20 mph in third gear you are luging your engine at that low rpm and speed. That is not good for any new or old engine. I was a Ford mechanic for over 40 years then retired.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:06 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

I'm with you, Arless. My understanding is that the only thing needing break-in is the gearing.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

"Tight tolerances" only mean that the break-in period can be shortened. You're still generating more heat, and it's going to be more likely to concentrate locally in the castings. Interchangeable parts means that they are interchangeable from an assembly standpoint only. There is no way that all engines with every internal component grabbed at no better than semi-random will assemble precisely the same way even from a dimensional point of view.

Sure, engine assembly these days is a better bet than roulette or the craps table, but it's certainly not an absolute guarantee. What's anybody's risk tolerance here ???

Norm
Old 07-05-2015, 03:29 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I subscribe to the drive it like you stole it school. I bought my car last Friday. Saturday we were doing some hot laps at ECR. Full runs all the way through the rev range.
Because the car hasn't had the brake lines and fluid swapped I only did hot laps in 3 lap sprints for 3 sets.

I'll change the oil at 1000 miles and run a magnet through to see what turns up. There is usually some tiny metal flakes but nothing to hair raising. The next change should be clean.

If it does break (it won't) its under warranty now. I'd rather it break now than later.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Bullyboy

Thumbs up Engines are hand built all GT engines

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
"Tight tolerances" only mean that the break-in period can be shortened. You're still generating more heat, and it's going to be more likely to concentrate locally in the castings. Interchangeable parts means that they are interchangeable from an assembly standpoint only. There is no way that all engines with every internal component grabbed at no better than semi-random will assemble precisely the same way even from a dimensional point of view.

Sure, engine assembly these days is a better bet than roulette or the craps table, but it's certainly not an absolute guarantee. What's anybody's risk tolerance here ???

Tight tolerances mean longer break in periods than a loose engine that certainly is a chance to die or live. The new 2015 5.0 liter engine with the Boss 302 heads and even bigger cams and forged components through and through. Even the crankshaft is lighter and stronger so are the forged steel rods and pistons.

These new engines are built by hand and are put together with precision tolerances through and through. If a part does not check out to correct specs it is tossed and another is replaced. Every performance engine Ford makes has the same oil pressure as the one before it. What that tells me is all are put together with the same precision as the first one built.

Ford left a lot of power on the table because people will not listen and run 87 octane in the car so every point has to be detuned to live with the low octane that stupidity brings to the table. Just with a simple tune a flash at the computer is all it takes to get an instant 30 HP increase at the rear wheels. That's 405 HP and over 400 Foot pounds torque at the rear wheels.

Now add a free breathing oiled filter and snorkel system and some opened exhaust, and a race tune up with your BAMA flash tuner. And race fuel and you are looking at 505 HP at the flywheel and 454 at the rear wheels. Now if this was regular production line robot built engines then you better be worried about you engine not so not by a long shot.

Don't believe me, go to Fords assembly engine plant and watch the video and you will know that ford does indeed hand build there performance engines.

Norm
This is where you will know the truth about the engines
Old 07-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Ummm . . . tighter tolerances isn't the same thing as tighter clearances.

I'm not sure what else you're trying to say, but even with *perfectly* fitted pieces there will always be a little initial wear, microscopic-level stuff that still generates extra heat as it occurs.

Norm
Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

These threads crack me up. They're like eternal. When I first got involved in mailing lists and NNTP groups these discussions were going on.
If we are going to discuss this can I also ask: which oil is best for my new engine? Should I go with synthetic or dino? How about organic?
Or perhaps we can start a thread about which street tires will give you the best launch on the street?

There is no agreement on break-in. There are two camps: follow the manufacturers directions and the drive it like you stole it camp. Take your pick. You probably won't have the car long enough to know the difference anyway.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
There is no agreement on break-in. There are two camps: follow the manufacturers directions and the drive it like you stole it camp. Take your pick.
And neither of those extremes means you'd put any thought of your own into it. How is that a good thing???

Norm
Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I didn't say I didn't put any thought in to it. I've already read all of the threads for laughs. Then I go talk to actual real people who build engines professionally and make my own decisions.
Anything from an internet forum should be viewed with a huge amount of skepticism. I personally convinced that these forums are nothing but a huge conspiracy meant to trick me. You're all a bunch of NSA agents sitting in a huge cubicle farm watching my every mouse click and posting stuff to trick me.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Also: perhaps instead of starting another break-in thread - google it and read. Nothing has really changed that much. OR the NSA could be fooling me again.

Quick Reply: Break in period