Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Is This Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Thomv

Default Is This Normal?

Only have 300 miles and are starting to notice a problem with my drive line. When I push down on my clutch and then start out in first gear I hear a distinct thump that seems to be coming from the rear differential just before my first gear engages. Is this a characteristic of the performance rear in the performance package that came with the car?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i have a 2003 and there was a bulletin for that nois in that model, the noise was coming from the rear diff and was considered a normal operating condition, might be the same thing? take it back to ur dealer and have them give it a listen while u drive

Last edited by jwog666; 03-21-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:21 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

My 98 GT did the same thing.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Thomv

Originally Posted by jwog666
i have a 2004 and there was a bulletin for that nois in that model, the noise was coming from the rear diff and was considered a normal operating condition, might be the same thing? take it back to ur dealer and have them give it a listen while u drive
I have an appointment for this Tuesday.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:54 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

My 15 GT does this too. It doesn't seem to hamper performance, although i only have 600 miles on my car and i've been rather nice to it. I'd be willing to bet it's normal.. If not, my warranty covers me for quite a while.

Let us know what you find!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Thomv

Originally Posted by kawiguy827
My 15 GT does this too. It doesn't seem to hamper performance, although i only have 600 miles on my car and i've been rather nice to it. I'd be willing to bet it's normal.. If not, my warranty covers me for quite a while.

Let us know what you find!
The car was over at the dealer all day long. Of course, when they took it out for a drive the tech was not able to replicate the clunking. They suggested I bring it back in for another look so I now have an appointment for next Monday. The dealer is walking distance from my employment so it is not a big deal not having the car for another day. I did ask them for a copy of the paperwork for my records which i will continue to do moving forward just in case this becomes more troublesome down the road.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

More than likely, what you are hearing/feeling is the pinion gear making contact with the ring gear. There is a small amount of play between them at rest and when you put the car in gear there is enough friction between the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate to turn the driveshaft and allow the gears to make contact, but not enough to allow the car to move.

You can also replicate this noise by turning the driveshaft by hand back and forth with the car shut off and in neutral.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Thomv

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
More than likely, what you are hearing/feeling is the pinion gear making contact with the ring gear. There is a small amount of play between them at rest and when you put the car in gear there is enough friction between the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate to turn the driveshaft and allow the gears to make contact, but not enough to allow the car to move.

You can also replicate this noise by turning the driveshaft by hand back and forth with the car shut off and in neutral.
What you say makes sense. I don't understand why the dealership would not come back and tell me this is a normal operating sequence instead of them telling me to bring back the car for them to look at it again.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Thomv

After the second visit to the dealer and after having it for another full day I was informed this clunking is perfectly normal.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 PM
astolt12

I have a similar sound and am very new to "high performance" manual transmissions as this is my first 6 speed mustang - prior to this Ive always driven automatics but learned manual on an old chevy trail blazer.

I noticed on my 2015 GT which has 600 miles when i engage it into 1st gear with the clutch fully depressed and the engine at idle it will "clunk" seemingly from the rear. This sound is heard all the way into 4th if you shift fast-ish. A very, very slow shift will quiet it but I wanted to see if this too is normal to hear that "clunk?"

I have a 6 speed manual with the performance package.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Is This Normal?