Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2015 GT Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spork3245
I was referencing the member who posted he got 30mpg. His S550 GT is supercharged.
Oops, my bad!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
I'm seeing 20.4mpg last I checked over the last 4500 miles or so and that includes city and highway driving, bolt on racing on 93, several tanks of E85, drag racing at the track, WOT datalogging and also racing the new Procharged setup. Fact is the v8 mustang won't upper 20mpg over the course of a few thousand miles.
You're seeing an "average" of 20.4 over a 4500 mile stretch? That includes the aggressive driving you've done and multiple tanks of E85? What kind of gas mileage do you think you were getting with the WOT datalogging, or racing the Procharge setup? Everything I've read about E85 says you won't be getting anything close to decent gas mileage with that either. Yet you've gotten good enough gas mileage on other driving to get your average up to 20.4?? I'd say that pretty much kills your statement that the V8 mustang won't get upper 20's over a few thousand miles. I wonder what your average would be if it weren't for the other, more aggressive driving? You had to have had some pretty good tanks in there to get your average back up into the low 20's given the other driving you admit to doing.

Originally Posted by redass02gt
Better fuel economy than what? Certainly not better than another 5.0 without a dead weight spinning around doing nothing on top.

Nobody is getting 30mpg with a 2015 mustang, stock from the factory or with a supercharger strapped to it. Maybe on one way of a trip where you are slowly losing elevation for a long time, like from Lake Tahoe to L.A. That situation isn't meaningful in this discussion.
I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing a supercharged 5.0 getting better gas mileage than a stock engine.

I think it's been established that the 5.0 is capable of returning 30 mpg under the right circumstances. I don't think anyone has said that it will "average" 30 mpg over the long haul but those that keep saying that the 5.0 won't return 30 mpg at any time are clearly wrong.

I am blessed and cursed with an unusually long commute to work, mainly freeway driving and my schedule allows me to miss most of the rush hour headaches. The downside of that is I put miles on my car way faster than is the average, about 30k/year. The upside is that my average fuel economy for the last few cars I've owned has been well above what most people get. I'm not saying I'd average 30 mpg over the long haul but I like to think, based on what I've read other folks report on this forum, that I'd touch it every once in a while. I won't be holding my breath over it though.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:49 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
You're seeing an "average" of 20.4 over a 4500 mile stretch? That includes the aggressive driving you've done and multiple tanks of E85? What kind of gas mileage do you think you were getting with the WOT datalogging, or racing the Procharge setup? Everything I've read about E85 says you won't be getting anything close to decent gas mileage with that either. Yet you've gotten good enough gas mileage on other driving to get your average up to 20.4?? I'd say that pretty much kills your statement that the V8 mustang won't get upper 20's over a few thousand miles. I wonder what your average would be if it weren't for the other, more aggressive driving? You had to have had some pretty good tanks in there to get your average back up into the low 20's given the other driving you admit to doing.

I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing a supercharged 5.0 getting better gas mileage than a stock engine.

I think it's been established that the 5.0 is capable of returning 30 mpg under the right circumstances. I don't think anyone has said that it will "average" 30 mpg over the long haul but those that keep saying that the 5.0 won't return 30 mpg at any time are clearly wrong.

I am blessed and cursed with an unusually long commute to work, mainly freeway driving and my schedule allows me to miss most of the rush hour headaches. The downside of that is I put miles on my car way faster than is the average, about 30k/year. The upside is that my average fuel economy for the last few cars I've owned has been well above what most people get. I'm not saying I'd average 30 mpg over the long haul but I like to think, based on what I've read other folks report on this forum, that I'd touch it every once in a while. I won't be holding my breath over it though.
I drive like an old lady normally. But race occassionally. No way to know or calculate MPGs while doing WOT pulls. I was getting 21.7 or so while totally stock.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
I was getting 21.7 or so while totally stock.
That sounds pretty darned good to me!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by CCCP1999
I only drive 3 miles to work. So around 50 mile a week max with my driving and it is all heavy stop and go bro. When i drive fay away the avg goes up to around 20 or 21mpg. My modded C6 Vette would get 28mpg on the highway.
I was hoping you just drove around at 6k rpm from stop light to stop light.

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Talking about a small sample size is like discussing the fuel mileage you get while you are free falling out of an airplane. I can show you 45mpg, but all it means is that I didn't count the part of the drive where I got 4mpg.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 AM
CCCP1999
1st Gear Member

I was hoping you just drove around at 6k rpm from stop light to stop light.

Talking about a small sample size is like discussing the fuel mileage you get while you are free falling out of an airplane. I can show you 45mpg, but all it means is that I didn't count the part of the drive where I got 4mpg.
I am WOT all the time from every light.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:16 PM
ShiftQuick

2016 GT PP here. Best MPG I've seen registered was during a 300mi road trip... a whopping 17 MPH! My avg daily commute which consists of 50/50 Hwy/stop-n-go nets an astonishing 13.5 MPG.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:25 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I bet you got there really quick too.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

The videos I referenced showed GT Mustangs own electronic displays returning at or very near 30 mpg. These guys were obviously driving in a very conservative manner and they were getting the fuel economy. If they continued driving that way, why wouldn't you think the car would continue to offer up that kind of economy? The mileage that MPGomatic reported was after a 40+ miles drive, not just a "let's reset the meter while coasting downhill" kind of thing. This isn't about sample sizes. It's just an observation that, "driven properly under favorable conditions," the car is very much capable of offering pretty darned good gas mileage. The fact that most folks either aren't capable of, or willing to exercise the discipline to drive the car that way, doesn't negate the fact. I'm not blaming them for that. The sound and feel of the V8 make it really hard not to play with it from time to time, but that's going to kill the overall average. It's not the car, it's the driver!

Steve R.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

You're not getting near 30mpg in a GT in any decent chunk of mileage. If you could Ford would be advertising as such. End of story.

Last edited by darkmach1; 03-07-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT Fuel Mileage